Spirituality and Healing

Holographic Universe or Computer Simulation? Big Bang or God?

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Spirituality and Healing

Postby Access Denied » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:45 pm

My wife is heavily into Spirituality (high-level, not all that “new age” crap as she puts it) and last night at her urging I watched an interview with Deepak Chopra on Glenn Beck's ("I am a conservative who doesn't happen to be a Republican") TV talk show on Fox that we both enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepak_Chopra

Many of Chopra's themes and beliefs are stated in his first book, "Creating Health" in 1986. He launched himself as a staunch advocate of the interconnection between mind and body, advocating meditation and self-awareness as primary factors in both illness and healing. He deepened these themes in "Quantum Healing" (1989), where he examined the mysterious phenomenon of spontaneous healing of cancer. Here he introduced quantum physics as a means of understanding the mind-body connection, arguing — as he would in many other books — that consciousness is the basic foundation of nature and the universe.

I must admit I was impressed by this man’s clarity of thought, especially since he also openly embraces the core (non-religious) teachings of Jesus among others. Even Glen Beck, who’s Mormon (and a recovering Catholic), was into it.

Anybody else heard of this guy?

Also, last night my grandson asked me to watch a new movie with him called the “The Last Mimzy”…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_mimzy (warning: contains plot spoilers)

I though it was going to be a silly kids movie but it turned out to be an excellent work of science fiction IMHO. It deals with alien contact (and the government’s response) in a way that makes “Close Encounters” and “ET” look like cave men wrote it. Highly recommended.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:43 pm

[revisting an old post of mine]

Access Denied wrote:Anybody else heard of this guy?

I recently found this interesting debate between everybody’s favorite professional skeptic (lol) Michael Shermer and Deepak Chopra…

The Great Afterlife Debate:
Michael Shermer v. Deepak Chopra

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/deb ... rlife.html

The following debate between Deepak Chopra and Michael Shermer came about after the widely read and referenced debate the two had last year on the virtues and value of skepticism. Deepak has a new book out on the subject, Life After Death: The Burden of Proof (Harmony, 2006 ISBN 0307345785), and Michael has written extensively about claims of evidence for the afterlife, so the two of them thought it would be stimulating to have a debate on the topic. Michael read Deepak’s book and goes first in the debate, offering his assessment of the “proofs” presented in Deepak’s book, then Deepak responds. Shorter blog-length versions are published on www.HuffingtonPost.com, with the longer versions presented here and on www.intentBlog.com.

I think this debate illustrates the clash between Science & Spirituality pretty well and I thought some of you might be interested in how some of the stuff being discussed here in our little corner of the world is being discussed in the “mainstream” as well.

As far as my position goes I like how Michael Shermer starts off his article:

Hope Springs Eternal
Science, the Afterlife & the Meaning of Life

I once saw a bumper sticker that read:

Militant Agnostic: I Don’t Know and You Don’t Either

LOL…on the other hand I also like the way Deepak Chopra start off his:

Taking the Afterlife Seriously

“The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the power of all true science.”
–Albert Einstein

Needless to say, this topic is an endless source of debate for my wife and I too…

AD
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Reality