Nevada Caucus is over!

Everything Political

Nevada Caucus is over!

Postby MikeJamieson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:52 pm

I'll use this thread to describe the year long preparations....and then, the big day itself. And, the controversial aftermath.

What we saw was a massive win by Obama in 12 of 17 counties. He won the hearts of cowboys all over Nevada (like Elko County, where he beat Clinton 65% to 35%). Obama won 13 delegates, Clinton 12. We await the endorsements by Nevada superdelegates.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 pm

As a UK onlooker Im interested.

If Obama is elected as the next Pres, how long do you think it would be before someone starts taking potshots at him?
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Chorlton wrote:If Obama is elected as the next Pres, how long do you think it would be before someone starts taking potshots at him?

Heck...that started happening several months ago. Have you seen the nasty, inaccurate, racist email that has been circulating about him, related to his alleged refusal to place his hand on his heart during the pledge to the flag?

Read this for a full analysis of the urban legend created by Obama-haters:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

Take note of the photos provided that clearly show plenty of events where he certainly placed his hand over his heart.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re: Nevada Caucus is over!

Postby Access Denied » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:00 am

Hi Mike,

MikeJamieson wrote:We await the endorsements by Nevada superdelegates.

Very interesting. I assume this is related to this?

Obama campaign sends complaint letter about Nevada caucus conduct
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22826277/

I see Hillary has won Florida by a wide margin today and rumor has it the DNC *will* count FL delegates now? Hardly seems fair if some Democratic voters didn't bother going to the polls thinking their vote wouldn’t count. Don’t know if that was the case but I heard a lot of the votes were cast by mail before Bill’s SNAFU in SC… seems to me that might have tipped the tide in Obama’s favor.

Not sure I’m satisfied with the results of the (less than half completed) NH "recount" either.

I don’t know about you but Hillary and her "machine" scares me. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Access Denied wrote:I don’t know about you but Hillary and her "machine" scares me. :)

Scares the chit outta me! People who want to claim Bush is a fascist would have a hard time defending Hillary and her tactics. Not to mention the long list of bodies who used to be friends of Clintons.

I applaud Mike for his work for Obama. Even though I tend to shy away from DEM politics, I would vote for a DEM pres if the Repub candidate were untenable. And I am not sure I am on the McCain bandwagon. He's old-school, and I just don't feel like I trust him.

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:10 pm

You Can Call Me Ray wrote:I applaud Mike for his work for Obama. Even though I tend to shy away from DEM politics, I would vote for a DEM pres if the Repub candidate were untenable. And I am not sure I am on the McCain bandwagon. He's old-school, and I just don't feel like I trust him.

Ray

I'm on the same exact line of thinking as you Ray. Although I believe McCain is trustworthy, his age gives me pause.

I've yet to see a Rep I'd prefer yet - and I think the only DEM candidate who moderate Republicans would be willing to vote for is Obama. If the Democrats choose anyone else I don't think they'll stand a chance of bringing over any Republican votes during the general election.

What does everyone think of Mitt Romney btw? Seems like the candidate for the ecomony anyway... And I heard today Edwards is dropping out!?

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:09 pm

On the Democratic side I definitely think Obama is the strongest candidate and has the most potential to effect real change. McCain comes across as a faux Republican with nothing new to bring to the table and if it comes down to it I think I would vote for Obama instead. On the Republican side Romney most closely represents my conservative view on the issues (in particular on immigration) but until last night’s debate I was a bit skeptical of his position. I was impressed by his performance and I think he would make a good leader. Huckabee made a lot of sense too. He would make a good running mate.

I think the most healthy debate for our country would be a race between Obama and Romney. That said, these things never seem to turn out the way I want them to so I fear it will probably come down to a choice between McCain and Hillary… yikes!
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Access Denied wrote:I think the most healthy debate for our country would be a race between Obama and Romney.

Right-on, AD! And if you say Huckabee becomes Romney's anointed Veep I am right with you. Both guys seem fit to change the paradigm, where I don't think McCain can or will. I also agree with your thoughts on Obama.

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:30 pm

You would think you lot over in the Colonies would have learned from the UK's mistakes in having a woman Prime Minister. Thatcher ruined the country and the economy for years.

I think there should be a World Law made that no woman of menstruation age be allowed into any position of power.
Then again I'd ban women drivers too. :roll:

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:47 pm

I can't say I agree with that, the UK economy was in a disastrous state when she came to power. She may be many things, but she did some good too.

The following BBC article sums up her reign quite well I think:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3681973.stm

Cheers,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:I can't say I agree with that, the UK economy was in a disastrous state when she came to power. She may be many things, but she did some good too.

The following BBC article sums up her reign quite well I think:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3681973.stm

Cheers,
Zep

Overall I consider she damaged the UK irreperably.
Her 'Market Forces' policy was responsible for massive unemployment and practical collapse of UK heavy Engineering, manufacturing and steelworks.
She practically single handedly destroyed the UK Coal Industry, a coal industry which is now needed, but which is impossible to recreate

She destroyed the Trade unions resulting in the appalling Employment and dismissal laws we have now and the disgusting minimum rates of pay. That the Unions needed a lesson taught them was obvious to everyone, but she took it personally and destroyed them, setting us back 50 years.

Her privatisation of Nationalised Industries created Billions of pounds for her friends but eventually resulted in.
Massive unemployment
Decimantion of the UK transport system both road and rail
Ruination of the UK Telecoms businesses creating massive price hikes.
Making uncontrolled Gas and Electric prices so high that old people die in their homes every year.
Get rich quick schemes for her Tory friends.

She took us into a war for a poxy little island of no consequence for her own gain whilst ignoring the cries of the people who were thrown off their homeland of Diego Garcia so her friends in the US Military and SAC could have a nice new base. (people who to this day still have no right to return to their country of birth)

She created a F*ck you jack, Im ok society which has resulted in the society we now have.
She created a dictatorial style of government, totally ignoring the Cabinet system.

Her total disdain for the NHS set it back years. Causing many highly qualified doctors and nurses going to OZ and the US.

Her sell off of Council housing, whilst at the same time dissallowing use of those funds to build new houses resulted in the appalling Social Housing system we have now. So bad that Councils have had to sell them off to Profit making Housing Associations.

Yes when the Tories took over the Government, the UK was in a bad state, but we'll never know what would have happened if someone else was running the place.

Weighing everything up, She destroyed or damaged more than she created
She did more bad than good.
AND WORST OF ALL?
She was responsible for the increase in price and decrease in size of Mars Bars (and in my head, thats a hanging offence)

For Christs sake America DONT ELECT A WOMAN.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Haha! What a top rant. I didn't know about the Mars bars price hike btw, the evil cow!

When I have more time, I may engage you in a dialogue about some of the above, esp. wrt theFalklands war and the trade union stuff. I agree with some of what you wrote, but I will probably concentrate on those two things. I will make one comment now though; In my experience Housing Associations are infinitely better than any council led scheme and (here in the North at least) their prices are the same but the housing and after service is much better.

Cheers,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:20 am

I shall keep my sword 'en garde' for your counter sir ! :twisted:

The big problem with Council housing was when they split off their repairs etc to a Direct works separate operation. due to having few managers they became a bunch of lazy buggers. One of the only Council run housing departments left in the UK, Braintree District Council, has now and always has had a really good repairs section. I lived, on and off, in a Council house untill the 80's. I took over the Tenancy when my sister died as I was joint Tenant (long story). it wasnt your typical Council house though, it was a detached house 4 bedrooms, with 2 acres of land!. The repairs boys used to love coming out to do jobs on the place. I bought it then sold it a few years back.
Social Housing has always been a big Interest of mine. I agree some HA's are quite well run. But my opinion is that though they are supposed to be run as a sort of 'Trust' the top dogs are quite overpaid. (then again what top managers arent?)
Unions? Dont get me started :evil:
I did some 'celeb' gigs for the NUM in the 70's to help raise money for Striking Miners and their families. At one of them, Scargill was there. Him and I had an incredible 'toe to toe' row, as I just couldnt see his point, as it was camouflaged with all his other anti Tory political BS. What his point really was, was that Thatcher wanted the UK Coalmines closed. It concerned trade and buying in coal from Europe. But Scargill became so wrapped up in his hate of Thatcher and her policies that, that idea rarely got through. It finally did get through to the public though, but it was too late. I wrote a personal apology to Scargill some years later and received a nice reply with even him admitting some of his best friends couldnt see his REAL point because of his other biases. We need those coal mines now, but its too late, theyre flooded and collapsed

When Thatchula stopped school milk for school children, I sent a 2000 name petition to HMG that they either return milk to school children, replace it with a Mars bar or sack Thatcher. The swines ignored it, well they did for 12 years when they eventually saw things my way and sacked her !!
I shall find where shes buried and happily piss on her grave when shes gone, but, knowing my luck, she'll be cremated :(

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

It isn't over!

Postby MikeJamieson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:40 pm

The Nevada "caucus", that is. The process actually has been continuing!
Tommorrow, all the counties hold conventions, which in effect are caucuses in action again. Hopefully, Obama will gain more delegates in the process.
It's been busy, getting caucus delegates to attend the conventions and recruiting qualified alternates to fill in any open delegate vacancies.
A few nights ago, 600 plus of us precinct captains joined in a conference call with Barack Obama. (Tonight, the Hillary Clinton folks join in a similiar call with Bill Clinton.)

Latest Rasmussen poll for Nevada general election results:
McCain: 49%
Clinton: 42%

Obama: 50%
McCain: 38%
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: It isn't over!

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:59 pm

MikeJamieson wrote:Latest Rasmussen poll for Nevada general election results:
McCain: 49%
Clinton: 42%

Obama: 50%
McCain: 38%

Pleased to see that you're supporting Obama, Mike. I think the polls in the case of Obama vs. McCain are an accurate representation of the way the general election would go....unfortunately while I like McCain's moderate stance on most issues, he still represents the "old-guard" to most of the American public...and because of that - Obama will sweep the general election.

Democrats need to keep this in mind when they caucus in the remaining states...it isn't really who you prefer, Clinton or Obama, but it's who has the best chance of becoming our next Commander in Chief vs. McCain. Clinton? It's uncertain..I'd even say unlikely. Obama? Absolutely....and very likely by a significant margin.

Women voters who would vote for Clinton simply because she's a woman need to consider their priorities carefully. Is voting for a woman simply based on her gender and having her win the Democratic nod worth having another old-guard white guy in the Oval Office for another 4 to 8 years?

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to Politics