Follow The Money?

Everything Political

Follow The Money?

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm

The concpiracy demons and America-haters always love to say "follow the money" when they seek to get you to believe that the USA government is evil and seeking to control everyone. But now let us "follow the money" when it comes to rebuilding a country that has been devastated by war, terrorism, and YEARS of a dictator. It is interesting to read about how MANY alleged "allies" we have in rebuilding Iraq are falling WAY short of meeting their monetary pledges to aid Iraq.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq ... -aid_N.htm

Nearly five years after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, allied countries have paid 16% of what they pledged to help rebuild the war-torn country, according to a report scheduled for release today.

Sounds like they are REALLY concerned about Iraq, huh?

The biggest shortfalls in pledges by 41 donor countries are from Iraq's oil-rich neighbors and U.S. allies: Saudi Arabia spent $17.4% and Kuwait 27% of the $500 million each had pledged more than four years ago, according to a separate report released last month by Congress' Government Accountability Office. Spokesmen at both countries' U.S. embassies did not respond to repeated messages seeking comment.

Gee...wonder why they did not wish to comment? Moreover, I wonder why the care so little about their fellow Arabs?

The United States, so far, has spent $29 billion to help rebuild Iraq, the inspector general's report says. Congress has approved an additional $16.5 billion.

AMAZING!!! USA has spent 29 BILLION with a B, and Saudi Arabia (who is profiting hand over fist from higher oil prices) could only pledge a MEASELY $500 MILLION with an M!!! WTF??? Oh yes... the USA is so damned evil! But the world sure does love when we give them our dollars, or use our dollars to clean-up the cesspools created by problems the rest of the world does not have the guts to fix!

From 2003 through 2006, Saudi Arabia exported about $95 billion in crude oil to the USA, as its average price more than doubled from $25 to $56 a barrel, according to the U.S. Energy Department.

The next time you read propaganda about how Arabs are so concerned about their brother Arabs (while they call the USA a "great satan"), I suggest you do one thing...

FOLLOW THEIR MONEY! BASTARDS!

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Great post Ray. I understand and share your frustration with most of what the conspiracy crowd have to say. Don't forget, it's ALL about the Oil... Some are even now saying the operations in Afghanistan are all about securing the drug trade... :roll: That kind of stuff really does make my eyes bleed.

As a comparison to what the neighbour states are contributing (or not) to both Iraq and Afghanistan, the following shows how much both operations have cost the UK Military since 2001. These figures do not include aid or reconstruction programs such as the $500 Million that will be paid to the Afghan government by the UK for reconstruction purposes etc.

Cost of the Operation in Afghanistan:
From the MOD website

The cost of UK Military Operations in Afghanistan

The Ministry of Defence identifies the costs of military operations in terms of the net additional costs it has incurred, over and above planned expenditure on defence. The costs of our operations in Afghanistan come from the Treasury Special Reserve.

The overall cost of operations in Afghanistan in 2001-2002 was £221M.
The cost for 2002-2003 was £311M.
The cost for 2003-2004 was £46M.
The cost for 2004-2005 was £67M.
The cost for 2005-2006 was £199M.
The cost for 2006-2007 was approx £738M.

Subtotal £1.582 Billion, or roughly $3.149 Billion in US terms.

Cost of Operations in Iraq

The costs of our operations in Iraq come from the Treasury Special Reserve.The Ministry of Defence identifies the costs of military operations in terms of the net additional costs it has incurred, over and above planned expenditure on defence. The costs for the following financial years were:

2002/03 – £847M
2003/04 – £1,311M
2004/05 – £910M
2005/06 – £958M
2006/07 – £956M

The costs for 2003/04 include the costs of combat operations from 1 April 2003, the costs incurred in maintaining and supporting subsequent peacekeeping operations and the costs of recuperating operational capability afterwards.

That gives a subtotal of £4.982 Billion, or $9.918 Billion in US terms, giving us a total of over $13 Billion for the two operations combined (so far).

None of which of course takes into account the human element involved.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:47 am

Yes, indeed, Steve. The UK has also shouldered a large amount of the burden of helping to rebuild these countries. I am of the firm belief (and there is much evidence to support this belief) that our two governments have grown much closer in purpose and planning since the events of 9-11 than ever before.

It is certainly annoying when the conspiracy-hatemongers ignore the things our countries do, and instead try to focus people's attention on some sort of perceived evil, cabal, or NWO. But what is more frustrating are those people in both our countries who buy into this crap, and I am NOT just talking about those Muslim radicals who would love to impose Islam in our countries. I am talking about people born and raised in our countries, who have received the MANY benefits of our free societies and market economics, and who take it all for granted and still buy-into the agit prop that somehow "we are the problem in the world".

And if we suddenly STOPPED the flow of money to other countries, the hate-mongers would then say "look! See, we told you these governments are nothing but evil and don't care about people!"

It is maddening.

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to Politics