Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby MikeJamieson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:11 pm

NY Times editorial, "Mr. Obama's Profile in Courage":

http://tinyurl.com/2cabue
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Shawnna » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:40 am

It was the most moving and illuminating speech I've heard from someone in politics for a very, very long time.

Thanks, Mike for posting the link to the full speech, as well as the NY Times editorial.

:pmpm: :toasttoyou:
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby MikeJamieson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Shawnna. I hope we move to the general election phase soon!
It's exhausting even to follow the news of the campaign just a little bit.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby I.P.Freely » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:43 pm

MikeJamieson wrote:Hi Shawnna. I hope we move to the general election phase soon!

Boy you can say that again, and thank you mike for this post. I,d had almost decided not to vote this time but have changed my mind.

Hi Shawnna long time. :D
"You can either trust people or not. I choose to trust what people say and sometimes I get lied to. If I were to trust no one I would never hear the truth." - James (IPF) Martell
I.P.Freely
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Shawnna » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 am

MikeJamieson wrote:Hi Shawnna. I hope we move to the general election phase soon!

Exhausting comes close to describing most of what has/is going on in my life right now. The damn campaign for the Dem nomination is particularly draining for me for some reason.

Probably my age catching up with my political passion and idealism!

:P

I.P.Freely wrote:
Hi Shawnna long time. :D

[smilie=hi ya!.gif] Yes, it has been a long time IPF.

How's life treaten ya?
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby torbjon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:00 am

ooo, politics, another no no subject... I Love it.

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but, well, we're all Old, ya? At least most of us? How many 'vote for me' speeches have you heard in your life?

And how many actually followed through?

Any bozo can rant and rave and say all sorts of groovy things... talk is cheap. Lookit me, I'm one caffeinated loser, I spew dribble all over the place... so what?

We had a saying back on the rock about talk, it went like this:

That was Yesterday. What have you done Today?

In other words, Actions are where it's at. What have any of these bozos actually Done that is so cool?

And as far as voting goes, doesn't it always feel like it's more of a choice between the lesser of two evils as opposed to a tough choice between two highly qualified candidates?

Since folks are posting links to speeches, here's a blast from the past, a podcast of mine, Very Short, check it out:

http://torbtown.podomatic.com/enclosure ... -08_00.mp3

Remember that guy? *dreamy* ya, them were the days...

try this one, it's a tiny bit longer, see how many people you either remember or recognize...

http://torbtown.podomatic.com/enclosure ... -08_00.mp3

"government is not the solution to our problems. Government IS the problem"

"it is the opinion of this reporter that if this nation, or indeed the World, ever needed Heroes, THAT TIME IS NOW!"

Nola For President

VOTE 2040

http://www.livevideo.com/Torbjon
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby alantree » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:08 pm

Shawnna wrote:It was the most moving and illuminating speech I've heard from someone in politics for a very, very long time.

Thanks, Mike for posting the link to the full speech, as well as the NY Times editorial.

:pmpm: :toasttoyou:

I remember meeting MLK in 1968. He had a glow surrounding him- a radiance- or, as I described it at the time, 'a transcendent majesty.' Might I have experienced a real phenomenon or was I simply 'star-struck?' Who can say? But what I can say is that he exuded pure love. Barack Obama has that very same quality. He is truly a gift for our children.
alantree

Postby torbjon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Ya, but Mr. King wanted us to Think for ourselve, be Responsible for ourselves, and to Lead Ourselves...

None of the current candidtates 'exude' that type of energy.

Mr. King knew full well that he as a target long before his demise, yet he still put himself out there and made himself availible to The People... in short he was willing to sacrifice himself for something he truly Believed in...

Do you sense or feel that type of energy from Any of the current choice of candidtates?

Nola for President

VOTE 2040
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm

I too agree Mr. Obama handled the race issue with… dare I say presidential finesse? In the immutable words of Larry the Cable Guy... I don’t care who you are, that was a GREAT speech. I think Mr. Obama is the most intellectually honest candidate we’ve had since… well I’m not sure when. It’s either that or as one of my conservative friends said… he’s the Antichrist.

I wish Hillary would face the music and step down before the Democratic party implodes upon itself (if it’s not too late already) so we can get down to the more important business of deciding where we want this country to go (but not necessarily where it will) and which campaign (because it's not just the about the candidate, it's also about who they will bring to the table) is the most likely to effect some positive change… as a conservative I look forward to having that debate.
Last edited by Access Denied on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic split
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby uberarcanist » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I think Obama's a good liar, Clinton is a bad liar, and McCain is Bush Part Two.
I won't be voting for any of them.
867-5309
uberarcanist
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Google

Return to Politics