BP Saying "It aint us mate"

Everything Political

BP Saying "It aint us mate"

Postby Chorlton » Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm

And now the s^~t is starting to fly
BP is pointing the finger at Transocean.
BP are saying
"This was not our accident. This was not our drilling rig. This was not our equipment. It was not our people, our systems or our processes. This was Transocean's rig. Their systems. Their people. Their equipment," Mr Hayward insisted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ecord.html
Last edited by Access Denied on Sat May 08, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: BP Saying "It aint us mate"

Postby gunter » Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Is there any truth to the rumor that BP has hired Tony Blair as head of public relations?
consider everything/ believe nothing
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby jbondo » Fri May 07, 2010 6:44 pm

What really gets me about the whole thing is that BP has millions of people ready and willing to help stop this mess but with all their corporate genius they fail to realize how far reaching the Internet is. Imagine if when all of this started they released diagrams of the piping layout along with a list of valves and fittings. They could also release actual point/s of failure.

You're telling me there's not 1 person out there that could have solved this already? Just because they have Engineers and Obama sends a team of experts doesn't mean they are the only ones that could fix the problem. Obviously odds are it wouldn't happen overnight but there's lots of intelligent people out there they haven't tapped.

Meanwhile oil keeps flowing. By the way, I thought of containing with a dome within the first 3 days and I'm not that smart.
jbondo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat May 08, 2010 6:45 am

jbondo wrote:Meanwhile oil keeps flowing. By the way, I thought of containing with a dome within the first 3 days and I'm not that smart.

Good point, you’d think they’d already have one ready for just this kind of thing.

(that’s not to say I don’t think you’re that smart) :)

Chorlton, that article may be a little misleading… even if they claim it’s not their fault, I believe they’ve already promised to pay for everything.

At any rate, I hope they do for your sake… if not, no doubt the ecoterrorists will blame your country and find a way to make *you* pay for it simply because of the company’s name… :D
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby gunter » Sat May 08, 2010 4:36 pm

no doubt the ecoterrorists will blame your country
Will the real ecoterrorists please stand up? Hint: their initials are B.P.
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sat May 08, 2010 5:30 pm

gunter wrote:
no doubt the ecoterrorists will blame your country
Will the real ecoterrorists please stand up? Hint: their initials are B.P.

Balls !
The rig was operated by Yanks!

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby gunter » Sun May 09, 2010 1:27 am

Sorry. BYP. Better?
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sun May 09, 2010 6:20 pm

jbondo wrote:Meanwhile oil keeps flowing. By the way, I thought of containing with a dome within the first 3 days and I'm not that smart.

Well, it looks like they could use your brilliance, given that there were additional factors that hampered the effort. I presume your analysis included the sea ice formation at those depths? So how did you solve THAT problem? :)

Arm chair engineering is a lot like arm chair quarterbacking. Lots of people who have never done it believe solving difficult problems like this are simple and self-evident. You wouldn't believe how many people think what I do (flight controls) is "easy"... especially quite a few of the 18 year old freshman aerospace students that I teach every year.

Even with 30 years of aerospace experience, I have walked the path from analytical and simulation models to the reality of a vehicle ready to fly...and uncovered surprises in almost every step of the process. Things you thought would be easy turn out to be the most challenging. And things you thought would be so difficult that you spent gobs of extra time analyzing can sometimes turn out to be nothing more than "check the box, worked great."

As both an engineer and a diver, I would never make the mistake of putting down marine engineers with something like "gee, I thought of this within 3 days and I am not that smart." Because, indeed, Nature can make it all too easy to show just how correct such an assertion about oneself is.

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 pm

But forgive me if I'm wrong but dont they have a dome type thing over several battleships in Scapa Flow? And that water is bloody cold.
I realise they arent as deep as the Gulf one but the technology has been there for ages

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm

Chorlton wrote:But forgive me if I'm wrong but dont they have a dome type thing over several battleships in Scapa Flow? And that water is bloody cold.
I realise they arent as deep as the Gulf one but the technology has been there for ages

But the operative question becomes: Is the purpose of those alleged dome-type things to actively contain a pressurized source of crude oil that is being fed by a pressurized oil field below the sea floor? If they are there merely to contain any contaminants from seeping away from the old battleships (not pressurized), then there is a big difference between that and what they are trying to contain at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. Right?

And then there is the comparative issue of how temperature differences vs. depth differences affect the properties of fluids. While the waters of Scapa Flow are certainly colder than the Gulf at any given depth, the hydrostatic depth effects greatly exceed the temperature effects with regard to how they change the state of a fluid, especially its phase transition points.

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby jbondo » Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm

You Can Call Me Ray wrote:

Well, it looks like they could use your brilliance, given that there were additional factors that hampered the effort. I presume your analysis included the sea ice formation at those depths? So how did you solve THAT problem? :)

Arm chair engineering is a lot like arm chair quarterbacking. Lots of people who have never done it believe solving difficult problems like this are simple and self-evident. You wouldn't believe how many people think what I do (flight controls) is "easy"... especially quite a few of the 18 year old freshman aerospace students that I teach every year.

Ray

Never made any claim that I had the answers. As I communicated in my first post, I was deferring to others out there. As for the dome, I merely stated that I had thought of a dome and had I been privy to vital information I may have had an answer for one or two of the associated issues. However as I said, I'm not that smart. That should have told you that I wasn't planning on solving the entire kittenjigger. I will say this, I spent 3 years working in a refinery that I grew up around, my father worked in the same refinery for 47 years and many of my relatives and friends worked at said refinery and on rigs. In fact my entire home town was surrounded by the oil industry. Therefore, I was able to absorb a little here and there and while not an ocean oil platform there are many similarities in equipment and processes.

Maybe they should have called Bruce Willis!
jbondo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon May 10, 2010 5:00 pm

jbondo wrote:Never made any claim that I had the answers. As I communicated in my first post, I was deferring to others out there. As for the dome, I merely stated that I had thought of a dome and had I been privy to vital information I may have had an answer for one or two of the associated issues. However as I said, I'm not that smart. That should have told you that I wasn't planning on solving the entire kittenjigger.

Understand. Did not mean to offend... just using your post as the springboard for my point about the difficulty of such things.

Maybe they should have called Bruce Willis!

Yippee-ay-yay coyote!
Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby jbondo » Mon May 10, 2010 6:42 pm

No offense taken Ray!

Debate is healthy and that's just how I see it. Please feel free to knock me down a peg should the need arise. :wink:

Yippee-ay-yay coyote!
:?: LOL!!
jbondo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby gunter » Mon May 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Well, it looks like they could use your brilliance, given that there were additional factors that hampered the effort. I presume your analysis included the sea ice formation at those depths? So how did you solve THAT problem?
I guess jbondo and BP both fell down on that one- despite BP's vast 'engineering experience.' Is Red Adair still around?
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Obama to mak BP Pay?

Postby Chorlton » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 am

So, Oldbama is going to make BP pay? Wow thats incredible news......but wait....Hows about Mr Oldbama asks Union carbide to Pay compensations to the hundreds of thousands of Indian people killed, made horrendously ill and who are still having deformed babies from the Bhopal disaster? How about that Mr Oldbama? Only fair surely?
How about checking up on Union Carbide Mr Oldbama, a company who deliberatley ignored the safeguards in their Indian Factory that they enforced in their US factories?

How about the Piper Alfa Disaster Mr Oldbama? A total f---- from day one, that the US administration selectiveley forgot about?

Mr Oldbama needs to check up on a few things before he begins rattling his JuJu sticks.
Last edited by Access Denied on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new post moved to existing topic

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to Politics