Presidential scholars rate Obama (so far)15th best President

Everything Political

Presidential scholars rate Obama (so far)15th best President

Postby MikeJamieson » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37 pm

This article describes the categories used to make their judgement calls on this.

Probably the only reason he aint number one is because "Independence Day" hasn't happened yet (yeah, Obama NOT a trained jet fighterso he will have to sit in the back seat of the lead fighter plane).....just about everything else has happened.)http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20009531-503544.html

sorry everyone (and lost shaman): link was between two Img brackets, not url brackets
Last edited by MikeJamieson on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: Presidential scholars rate Obama (so far)15th best Presi

Postby oboe » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:52 am

Link please, Mike?
oboe
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:57 am

MikeJamieson wrote:Probably the only reason he aint number one is because "Independence Day" hasn't happened yet (yeah, Obama NOT a trained jet fighterso he will have to sit in the back seat of the lead fighter plane).....just about everything else has happened.)

More likely the only reason he isn't rated number 43 out of 43 is because the 238 "scholars" were most likely "progressive democrats"!
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby MikeJamieson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:52 am

Just a presumption on your part,lost shaman, that says only something about yourself and no one else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Again, I want to underline I'm not in the political mode, polemics, or anything. Just the facts, folks. I just got through wading through a sea of lies and hatred and manipulation and I'm not going to play that here or anywhere else. You guys go ahead and play all you want. I spent 8 years telling fellow Dems I didn't want to hear this stuff about Bush (man, you should have heard this one crowd i was in when Obama told us he liked Bush, lol). So, lets stick with facts, and if you need to, punch a hole in your wall or something.
That's why in the other thread, with its clear anger, I linked to a transcript so Obama's own words would do the job, including the various provisions related to his expansion of health care services to vets (which i most directly know about....the new services opening up from Fairfield Ca at the AFB there recently.)

The link above has added this new survey to its chart showing past ratings by the scholars....here's the top:

1)FDR
2)Teddy Roosevelt
3)Lincoln
4)Washington
5)Jefferson
6)Madison
7)Monroe
8)Wilson
9) Truman
10) Ike
11) JFK
12) Polk
13) Clinton
14)Jackson
15) Obama
16) LBJ[url][/url]
Last edited by MikeJamieson on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:15 am

MikeJamieson wrote:Just a presumption on your part,lost shaman, that says only something about yourself and no one else.

Only countering your opinion that he should be Number 1 in the OP with my own opinion that he might be number 43. Considering FDR and Wilson made the top ten I assume I am likely correct in that "progressive democrats" were predominately the so-called "Scholars" that were "judging" the Presidents.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:31 am

HMMMMMM
Im not an American, but surely someone should be judged by what he has accomplished, when his term is finished and not 18 months after he started the job?
He's been hit with probably the most serious set of Fiscal circumstances ever to hit any President and it takes a bit longer than 18 months to sort that out.
Give the man and his team a chance.

Similar to the UK. Im not a Conservative, but Cameron seems to be doing what he actually said he was going to do, which for a UK politician is pretty radical. He's OK'd a PUBLIC investigation into torture and the UK's involvement in it and quite a few other things that I actually agree with.
Hes not shy in hammering home a lot of difficult decisions and Im willing to give the man and his Deputy a run at sorting things out.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Chorlton wrote:HMMMMMM
Im not an American, but surely someone should be judged by what he has accomplished, when his term is finished and not 18 months after he started the job?
He's been hit with probably the most serious set of Fiscal circumstances ever to hit any President and it takes a bit longer than 18 months to sort that out.
Give the man and his team a chance.

This shows a complete lack of understanding of the US political system. Let's review, shall we?

The basic term of a president is 48 months.
18 months are done, which leaves 30 months left to get something meaningful (and bipartisan, hopefully) done.
But wait! Unlike the UK campaign season for government leadership (which is wonderfully short), the president will start campaigning for re-election no LESS than 12 months before the election. And the election is about 2 months before the change of presidents, so that makes this period of time 14 months.

30 months - 14 months = 16 months left to do something meaningful before it becomes all about getting re-elected.

PLENTY of promises Obama made to people (not just his far left constituents) have already gone by the wayside. His focus has been pretty much exclusively on the issues the far-left loves (not the centrist majority, and certainly not the right). Here is just one example:

Did Obama Break His Promise to Latinos?

Short answer: Hell yeah.

Guest host Jessica Yellin showed a video clip of Ramos asking candidate Obama in 2008 if he would commit to reforming the immigration system.

Obama responded, "I cannot guarantee that it's going to be in the first 100 days. But what I can guarantee is that we will have in the first year an immigration bill that I strongly support and that I'm promoting and that I want to move that forward as quickly as possible."

That first year came and went, and now we're 18 months into the Obama administration. There's no immigration bill in sight. In fact, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, has said that he won't propose a bill he's been working on until after the November elections, possibly as late as March 2011.

So Chorlton, he has had PLENTY of time given the analysis of the political cycle of a US president. And his lack of getting anything meaningful done that the MAJORITY of Americans can agree with proves that he is an empty suit being guided by people who are only in touch with a very small far-left liberal minority.

He also promised to "reach across the aisle" to craft "bipartisan legislation", even though he had ZERO track record of doing that as Senator. So far that amounts to EPIC FAIL. And We The People are clearly making that known as poll after poll shows more and more people are disillusioned and disappointed with Obama. But then again, I predicted this in the other thread. So it does not surprise me. I saw the snake oil when it was still in the sales stage. Now that the snake oil has been drunk (by some), I am not surprised that Obama is a zero.

He has also failed quite miserably in his promise of running a "transparent government." Once a party is in power, it wants to keep as much as it can from the party not in power. We don't have "coalition governments" like you do in the UK. I often wish we do, as presidents from BOTH parties would be forced to get something done. Now THAT would be change I can believe in! :)

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to Politics