Even more advertising on ATS

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Even more advertising on ATS

Postby Chorlton » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:02 am

Whilst browsing ATS on a friends computer at the weekend I noted in every post that certain words were coloured green and when the cursor was put over them revealed an ad.
These contents links (to me) are quite annoying.
Is this just something my friend has on his computer or is it everywhere?. It certainly doesnt show up on my computer, though I do have some popup killers etc.
Another money raising scheme from the money hungry ATS?
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby caleban » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 am

Whilst browsing ATS on a friends computer at the weekend I noted in every
post that certain words were coloured green and when the cursor was put over
them revealed an ad.

I think I first saw that just about the Christmas Holiday season. Made me update
my maleware programs, and even updated IE. Didn't work. IE 7 for XP still leaks
that crap thru. Had to learn to configure Firefox's "Noscript" add-on to get rid of the
junk. If you start with the latest version 2.0, I think it will do that for you, but I had
to do it the hard way.

The "problem" is eventually self-correcting. As ATS adds more and more maleware,
they will find themselves automatically filtered out by more and more security conscious
folk, like Gvt and business nets for starters.
Any more surprises like that and I will have no desire to visit either.
caleban
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:14 am

I simply put *.abovetopsecret.com in my restricted sites zone (Tools > Internet Options > Securtiy tab) in IE and voilà… no more ads or any other crap (e.g. JavaScript, ActiveX controls) that is commonly used to generate revenue streams and pose a security risk.

Note that doing this also blocks tracking cookies which are required to log in among other things (e.g. they’re a simple mechanism that can be used for blocking banned users as long as the user doesn’t clear their cache).
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby IgnoreTheFacts » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:22 pm

I always thought it was against ATS's terms and conditions to use any type of filtering software to limit or remove their built in advertising? I remember it being discussed before by one or two of the three amigos, but I can't seem to dig anything up about it right now....

oh, never mind, just found it:

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

From this thread on ATS:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread6688/pg1

I don't really see a big deal about it. They are running a business and need to be able to at least tell their advertisers (and potential advertisers) that they make a reasonable effort to ensure any adds placed within their website get a fair chance of being seen.
IgnoreTheFacts
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:07 pm

IgnoreTheFacts wrote:I don't really see a big deal about it.

You must not have been on ATS very long. There was a period there were at least one of their ad partners (casalemedia.com or tribalfusion.com I think) was streaming malicious ads. My antivirus solution caught several. Not sure if that's still true but I really don't care, I'm not a member any more. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby IgnoreTheFacts » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Oh, I've been around, lol......but I for some reason don't see many adds on their site ;)
IgnoreTheFacts
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Chorlton » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 am

I didnt see them either using Firefox. It was only when I went to Todals place and used his machine that they showed up.
Ah well
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to ATS Watch