"earth2" close to the truth about ATS hoaxes?

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Postby torbjon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 pm

caleban:

I'm not going over there to find them, they were in the chicago o'hare thread which I was paying close attention to at the time.

I don't have a clue how the script for this board works (or for theirs, either) but over there, back then, when we made an edit to our posts or when a mod edited our posts at the bottom of our posts would be the line:

(edited on [DATE] by [person who edited])

and that line was repeated for each edit... so if you made five different edits you'd see that line five times with the appropriate date/time stamp for each edit.

That "HectorRmz" persons edits did NOT have a correctly formated Date/Time stamp, the edit line formated out as a Link (instead of just a simple statement that an edit had been made) And the Link went nowhere.

I had NOT noticed this "glitch" in the system Anywhere Else at that place and felt it was "suspicious", ergo I mentioned it in the private "Fair Skeptics" forum.

Someone, I believe lost_shaman or maybe armap said either in the private FS forum or via PM (can't remember) that they Had seen a few "glitched" edit lines like that in other threads over there but not many and that it was very rare.

No mod or site owner addressed the query.

I was banned before I could examine the "glitch" in any detail.

As far as the line actually high lighting as a Link, that is NOT a curio, at least, not to me, it has to do with the colon followed by double backslashes. Hypertext Markup Transfer Language is trying to parse the "phrase" as a URL , thus "linky" behavior...

At the time my concern Was Not that the "links" went nowhere (I knew why they went nowhere) but rather that it seemed to me that that persons (and only that persons) date/time stamp was not accurately reflecting reality...

I suspected hanky panky and wanted to draw a little attention to it to see what would happen *shrugs*

Does that help any?

twj
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:35 am

caleban wrote:Torbjon, I am very curious about this remark from your web page:

Query:

why do HectorRmz edits have funky links that go nowhere??

[edit on 053131p://010756 by HectorRmz]

I've noticed this 'anamoly' since I first joined ATS several years ago.

torbjon wrote:Someone, I believe lost_shaman or maybe armap said either in the private FS forum or via PM (can't remember) that they Had seen a few "glitched" edit lines like that in other threads over there but not many and that it was very rare.

Yeah, I remember you bringing that up. I still have no idea why this occasionally happens.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re:

Postby Access Denied » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 am

torbjon wrote:No mod or site owner addressed the query.

Like I always say… if I ask a question and I don't get a straight answer, I figure that's my answer.

torbjon wrote:I was banned before I could examine the "glitch" in any detail.

They sure have a lot of "glitches" don't they?

torbjon wrote:I suspected hanky panky and wanted to draw a little attention to it to see what would happen *shrugs*

Never question the status quo… at ATS that is. Ironic isn’t it?

Anybody else notice the companion phenomena… “stealth” edits?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Re: "earth2" close to the truth about ATS hoaxes?

Postby caleban » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:53 am

Does that help any?

Very much. Thank you.

I've noticed this 'anomaly' since I first joined ATS several years ago.

I have to ask although the chances of an definite answer are near zero. (Human memory storage fault)
lost_shaman, perchance do you recall any specific dates that you may have noticed these ?

Anybody else notice the companion phenomena… “stealth” edits?

I think I know what you mean but if its noticeable, I dispute the "stealth" part.
I have seen this in another area I would term "over-writes" and those do not
seem to be readily correctable. That is the characteristic of this glitch that
has me curious.
caleban
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 pm

caleban wrote:lost_shaman, perchance do you recall any specific dates that you may have noticed these ?

No, not specific dates. I recall that it seemed like certain members here and there would have this glich after edits.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby torbjon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:45 pm

anybody get this spam from dave rabbit?

[snip]

Thanks to all of you who have supported me over the past 2 years. Exciting announcement about the syndication of our ATS MIX show will be coming in the next several weeks or so.

[snip]

Syndication?

duty duty duty calls... maybe a little 'free time' next week... we shall see..

laters
twj
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:53 am

Rabbit was another prat who annoyed me. A man who has delusions as to his own importance and Constantly bumping his own posts back to the top whn people have no interest in them.

I also have a feeling he has been using sockpuppets to reply to some of his own boring and banal posts.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re:

Postby TheSkepticOverlord » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:10 am

torbjon wrote:That "HectorRmz" persons edits did NOT have a correctly formated Date/Time stamp, the edit line formated out as a Link (instead of just a simple statement that an edit had been made) And the Link went nowhere.

I had NOT noticed this "glitch" in the system Anywhere Else at that place and felt it was "suspicious", ergo I mentioned it in the private "Fair Skeptics" forum.

That issues has been covered, though I forget where.

The formatting of the edit tag relies on the text a user has in their profiles date format preferences. For example, depending on what you enter, the edit date for today could be:
28-4-2008
4-28-2008
4/28/2008
April 28, 2008
and so on...

Most users leave the format as the default setting, some don't, and some enter errant text that funks up the edit tag when they edit a post.
TheSkepticOverlord
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby torbjon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:24 am

TheSkepticOverlord:

Thank you for your statements regarding this issue however as I stated a few paragraphs Below the section you quoted I was indeed aware of the technical reasons for the 'glitch' in question. Here and now I was simply replying to some questions located on the previous pages of this thread. Then and there I was curious to see if anybody was paying attention.

But again, thank you for the more in depth technical information, it is greatly appreciated.

twj
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Previous

Google

Return to ATS Watch