"earth2" close to the truth about ATS hoaxes?

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:53 pm

caleban wrote: I remind the court that the charge here is "Mark is behind ALL of the hoaxes. Mark and Mark alone." If my witness can prove that he is aware of an ATS related hoax that is NOT perpetrated by Mark, then the charge as read cannot stand and the case is dismissed.

The original 'charge' was that Springer was behind the [HOAX] threads that earth2 provided links to, not that Springer was behind all hoaxes on ATS.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby uberarcanist » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Agreed, shaman, and I think there's grounds for Springer to resign if he was behind even one hoax. I think Caleban's being disingenuous here.
867-5309
uberarcanist
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Shawnna » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:41 am

uberarcanist wrote:Agreed, shaman, and I think there's grounds for Springer to resign if he was behind even one hoax. I think Caleban's being disingenuous here.

ROFLMAO - why in the hell would Springer need to resign for doing what he was brought on board to do?

That is - drive traffic to drive increased revenue.

PERIOD.

There's no integrity or commitment to truth anywhere within what was the ATS I first became acquainted with. I can explain it in one word:

GREED

[smilie=hi ya!.gif] Mark, Bill and Simon!
Last edited by Shawnna on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby torbjon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:48 am

Agreed on the greed

but what to do?

if you love them you help them

if you hate them you help them More.

there's no such thing as bad press

I ignore them *shrugs* something you all should consider doing *pokes*

snooping around over there for ammo only helps them

Throwing sticks and stones at them helps them too

LINKING to them *rolls eyes* honestly? Didn't any of you Play their stoopid little linky dink games? What was it? alltheufoanswers.com or some such bs?

bah.

You guys have been poking around over there pretty much non stop since the git go, yes? Maybe you haven't noticed...

I had a rather interesting experience a while back...

I stumbled upon them a few years ago, I was into pyramids at the time, had an intelligent conversation with Byrd and that was that, i was in.

Then I got ticked and I split, and as is my wont when I split someone or something I SPLIT. I don't just burn the bridge I freekin' NUKE it. The past is an incredibly unhealthy place to dwell, ya know?

So I'm gone for like a year or so, and totally by accident I find myself looking at their home page. Not the forum index page but the actual Home Page...

Took me a Long time to realize just exactly What it was my peepers were gazing at...

What I was seeing was a sleazy tabloid layout jammed packed with x-ray glasses, decoder rings, the machine that goes 'bing' and every other eye popping toe tapping attention grabbing gizmo and gadget ever devised by a comic book publisher or toy manufacturer who Never raised a child but is trying desperately to encourage said child to send in his box tops.

Keep in mind this was BEFORE I realized I was looking at the ATS home page.

There was no 'ooo, I hate ats therefore my vision is biased' going on, my reaction was based Purely upon the aesthetics of the page.

Nothing about that home page struck me as something that would instill trust and confidence or that the contents inside would be of an adult and intelligent nature.

Now I Know that most folks get sucked in in exactly the same way I did: googling a pet project, a link to a forum post comes up that looks promising, follow it and whamo, you're in the thick of it where it's not quite so bad yet...

but the key word is Yet.

It was creeping into the heart of the site before I split and I'm Sure it's more prominent now then when I was there...

eye candy.

bells and whistles.

x-ray glasses and decoder rings.

things that go 'bing'.

Stuff specifically designed to attract and keep a younger, less educated, less intelligent audience.

Smiley cons *rolls eyes and jerks thumb to the left hand panel*

What the 'ell are those things doing Here?

Are they supposed to be clever? cute? smart? Professional???

No. It's Eye Candy. It's for little children to go ooo and aaaah over. It's for lame people who lack the vocabulary to adequately express themselves. You can't even claim that they are time saver because they Aren't. A space waster is what they are.

They are Desperate to attract more people... and desperation has got to be one of the Least attractive things on this planet.

Look, there is an Incredible amount of ATS energy here and it's not really doing RU any good. Why give them that energy? Let's do something else like throw a party or make a movie or have an orgy? (or all three *smirks* *ponders* like any stupid smiley con could EVER *smirk* as well as I can *grins* MY *smirk* sends shivers down the spine! YA BABY!

Down

the

Spine

And I got a *wicked grin* that will make your toes curl so pack That smiley con in your pipe and smoke it)

later maters,

oh, and get back to me about that party / orgy / movie thing, big money in, um, Independent Films.

twj
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:46 pm

I have no problem with a site making money. Its been said before.

My gripes with ATS is firstly the smug way they address themselves and the high esteem they hold themselves in for no apparent reason.
The main gripe from me is that they ecourage the loonatics, and make sceptics life hard, thereby damaging things for all serious UFO and other research.
I suspect their original motives were fine, but money, easy money is a drug that they have become addicted to, over and above the search for thruth.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Shawnna » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:13 pm

You're right TJ - in a number of ways............

I have not even accidentally gone to ATS in a very, very long time. Won't give them the satisfaction of a 'hit' from me.

But what I don't think you're aware of is the depth of the wounds-between-friends that ATS has been connected to within these hallowed cyber walls.

No biggee.... you weren't involved and thus could not know.

I don't think anyone here wants to give ATS more press than they already have - we're just humans struggling to make sense out of how to keep and nurture friendships that go very deep - but are challenged by the lack of physical connection.

Hope that makes sense.

Always,
Shawnna

PS - don't you go dissing the smilies - I love em! Some of us aren't as creative in our writing styles as you, my friend!

:toasttoyou:
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Yo Torb - I'm down for helping with the movie if your payin.... :)

Oops...I used a smiley.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby uberarcanist » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:07 pm

In light of some of the comments here, I believe some of you are thinking, why don't I just ignore ATS. Well here's the thing, the way I look at it: ATS is either really bad or really good. When ATS is really bad, it is harming ufology and relating disciplines and defaming the government (not saying the government is perfect), however, when it's really good, it's producing thoughtful commentary.

I have no problem with a website producing thoughtful commentary so I feel no problem in visiting it. As for a website that produces disinformation, I know that my not going to ATS will not seriously harm it, and also I want to know just what harm ATS is causing so something can be done about it, potentially.
867-5309
uberarcanist
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Wise words.

In other words -

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

...says Sun Tzu

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby torbjon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:41 pm

to all:

I can (and do) dig it... it's mixed nuts... will elaborate more later but just now noticing the time and I gotta go pick up the little one.

but uberkitty? YES, that what I be saying: Good AND Bad.

But you can't discuss the Bad there, which compounds the issue...

I am sooo late, gotta go

twj
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby uberarcanist » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 am

Whatchu mean, Torbie?
867-5309
uberarcanist
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby torbjon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:41 am

Was on another comp a while ago... can't believe I forgot my bloody password for here *laughs* uh, if that shows up in web logs it was just me being a dunderhead and not somebody tryin' ta hack... at least That time it was...

onwards.

uberarcanist:

okay, my plate is clear, I can ramble for a bit...

Some folks are totally ticked at that place... for whatever reasons. MY way of dealing with it (and apparently Shawnnas as well) is to pull the Cesar Chavez thing: boycott. We just don't buy their table grapes, nor do we purchase products from anybody who Does buy (or use) table grapes.

The Gandhi thing is nice (passive resistance) but in general a buncha folks gotta get mowed down by occupational forces before anyone anywhere takes notice.

Okay, FINE for the 'cause' but not so cool for those folks who got mowed down.

The Chavez thing, on the other hand, hits 'em where it hurts the most: The Pocketbook.

Now then, grape growers back then and that other place in the here and now have Deep Pockets, so ya, it's a Slow process (then as now) It takes time.

There will always be newbies coming in (then as now) who aren't aware of the situation, that by doing this seemingly harmless thing over Here has a detrimental effect over There... Those newbies need to be educated and allowed to make their own decisions (can't force folks to boycott)

You are not allowed to educate folks over there *shrugs* So other avenues of getting the word out Without contributing to the problem need to be found... it's no easy task and I have no simple solutions, sorry.

If you (or anybody) wants to hang out over there By All Means Do So! I ain't gonna hold it against you and I doubt anyone else here will either, it's Your life bub.

HOWEVER

Don't for one second think that you (or anyone) going there or Not going is going to make any difference 'cause I tell you bub, It Makes A Difference.

A BIG difference.

A WORLD of difference.

YOU. *pokes*

One single solitary soul, You hold the entire fate of the known universe in Your hands.

Here's how I KNOW this to be True beyond all argument and all doubts because I've not only seen it but done it.

uberarcanist (and anyone else who feels that their actions make little to no difference) I don't care if you are a quadriplegic who communicates via eye blinks, You Personally CAN lift 1,000,000 pounds.

Just not all at once.

It may take you a year, ten years, fifty years, but you Can do it.

One tiny little grain of sand at a time.

One tiny little click at a time.

A click here, a click there... After some days you are in the double or even triple digits. After some months you are in the triple to quadruple digits... After some years you are in the Millions...

MILLIONS.

And it's just a 'few' clicks 'here and there'...

but they add up and they add up faster than you may be aware of.

I personally have moved enough volume of stuff in my life that, if stacked up pyramid style, would make the grandest Egyptian tomb look like a mole hill. Took me ten freekin' years to do it but do I did.

Here's another:

Plastic bags.

Back on the rock a lot of our products got bagged; one fish per bag, a buncha fish per box, a lotta boxes per van, and a Lotta vans per barge.

We had two types of bags, clear plastic and clear plastic with our logo printed on it. Same bags, just one had printing and one didn't.

Grab ONE bag (plain or printed) and throw it on the scale and the scale couldn't even register it... the difference was "insignificant"

Grab 10,000 bags (one box) and toss 'em on the scale and there Was a difference, and not just a "little" but some POUNDS.

When they charge you by the pound for shipping then that adds up Fast. DON'T use printed bags unless the order Specifically calls for it 'cause yer talkin' an extra fifty bucks per van just in shipping costs.

Fifty bucks is nothing to shake a stick at, that's good money, and our profits.

So, you wanna hang there then by all means rock on, I ain't gonna hate you for it.

Just know that by going there you Are contributing to the problem. By just looking at their pages you are supporting a group of people who sodomized some of their Hardest Workers and didn't even have the courtesy to give them a reach around.

IF that other place was a big ol' farm conglomerate and you learned that they were treating some of their migrant farm workers as poorly as they have treated some of their former members you may actually think twice when walking down the produce isle...

then again, maybe not. Grapes are good, after all, kinda hard to imagine life without table grapes, ya know?

Food for thought.

twj
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:53 am

Say Uber...

Does Jenny live with you now? I was wondering where that tart ended up after I dumped her!! :lol: 8)

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 am

ROTFLMAO !!!!!
:P :P :D :D :D

"By just looking at their pages you are supporting a group of people who sodomized some of their Hardest Workers and didn't even have the courtesy to give them a reach around. "

That paragraph I nominate for the 'para of the year award'
Sorry Ive just not seen it before and I laughed it hurt so much
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Gotta go, Ive got a plane to catch. See you all next week
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby caleban » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:29 am

Torbjon, I am very curious about this remark from your web page:

Query:

why do HectorRmz edits have funky links that go nowhere??

[edit on 053131p://010756 by HectorRmz]

Are you willing to say more about what you remember of this ?

(Hold your mouse over the little edit numbers above. I copied
these straight from your web page. Hold your mouse over
the same on your web page. Hold your mouse over the numbers
in Shawnna's quote of these numbers. A curio, is it not ?)
caleban
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to ATS Watch