ATS Down-Sunday, August 10th, 2008

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

ATS Down-Sunday, August 10th, 2008

Postby Bibliophile » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:36 pm

ATS was down for a few hours this morning. A thread has been started about it - http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380227/pg1

Skeptic Overlord is saying it coincided with two other reported incidents that occurred at the same time:

At about 5:00 AM EST, there was an as yet undiagnosed high-load condition on the database server. The server has been rebooted and we're looking at the problem.

Preliminary indications are pointing to some potential data corruption in the u2u data... more as we know it.

Okay... here's the really odd thing...

Our increased load (as reported in the "slow queries" log) began about the same time as these reports...

1. Sky lit up - http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380212/pg1

2. Sky darkened - http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380219/pg1

One wonders if this is the setup for the next "big event" over there. I also think it interesting in light of the fact that the U2U system has been a recent topic of discussion.
"When a true genius appears, you will know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." ~ Jonathan Swift
Bibliophile

Re: ATS Down-Sunday, August 10th, 2008

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Bibliophile wrote:One wonders if this is the setup for the next "big event" over there. I also think it interesting in light of the fact that the U2U system has been a recent topic of discussion.

Leave it to "Skeptic" Overlord to make tenuous connections with no data to support them (other than apparant simultaneity). He apparantly has a penchant for doing this...

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:11 pm

He didn't before...pre-2006. Not sure what happened, if he got hit over the head or something. But you're right Ray, over the past two years, "Skeptic"-Overlord has transformed into some weird mutated version of Bill Ryan...screaming:

"omigosh! omigosh! The Server's down!!! Weird, crazy, wild conspiracies...and stuff...."they" did it! Who's "they"? Er....I don't know...but I'm pretty sure they did it!"

A scientist who follows the lunatics within this field commented once that people who get deeply involved, who were once healthy, become sick. I told him that it was a cute theory...but also ridiculous if you consider the solid skeptics who've been involved in this field for many years and haven't suffered that fate. Alas...Bill has offered himself as an example to prove me wrong.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby mojo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Just for the sake of it, since conspiracy has been mentioned. :)

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380273/pg1

skepticoverlord wrote:The U2U system is disabled for now, and so far I've identified nearly 400 members who may have lost most, or all of their messages.

Hmmmm....identified. Curious word that.

skepticoverlord wrote:I have a routine that's running through and verifying the integrity of each of the 1.2 million messages in the U2U system, and removing any that appear to have trouble. It's going to take some time, but it's the only way to be able to repair the system and retain messages that are savable.

(FYI: at no time is the content of the messages reviewed by anyone... it's an automated code with no output other than success or fail.)

Guess you have to take the guy at his word.

skepticoverlord wrote:1) The data will be meaningless without the key only I and our IT support person knows... and for which I'm the only one who can alter the key.

snip...............

3) None of our servers keep log files of traffic that could associate specific IP's with specific content (but your IP is logged with each post).

4) We always recommend that our members refrain from posting personal data, and the only thing we ever ask for is a simple working email account... never anything more than that. (and in fact, are mere days away from receiving the top certification by the most intensive privacy audit available... it's been ongoing for nearly six weeks now)

snip...............

Ok, so now there are 2 people who could possibly view private messages. I'm pretty sure Bill said he was the only person that had access to that database, but i may be reading that wrong.

Um, if your IP is logged to your posts doesn't that mean that you could associate specific IP's with specific topics/content?

"We always recommend that our members refrain from posting personal data"
Say what!! Don't you have a member profile page where you propose that your members post personal details. lol.

Anyway...if i was a conspiracy nut i would be extremely wary of using the u2u messaging system after this. it seems to me there have been quite a number of glitches lately. Member Profile's, disappearing posts, banned members not having banned under their profiles, u2u's down, i think there may have been another one not so long ago which caused a ruckus.
So, the conspiracy...somebody with access was happily adding some code to search the u2u database for keywords lets say and "whammo" something goes horribly wrong and the whole system crashes...Panic, omg..thinks on their feet quickly and throws out some inane reason that may have caused the crash...to keep the natives busy, meanwhile coming up with a good cover story.

I know, thats just too far fetched, and ATS wouldn't stoop to doing anything like that i'm sure, it's just pure speculation on my part.

Besides which, as i'm sure most administrators of sites know, they already have the ability to use someone elses "permissions" to log on as them anyway and search through their accounts if they really wanted to, they wouldn't need to search the u2u database to read another members u2u's.

smoke and mirrors.

mojo
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Chorlton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Money and Paranoia in the right mix can make people do anything

I wouldnt trust anyone from ATS, as far as I could belch.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:19 pm

haha..I could just see the code now...

IF
text="I hate ATS" OR "Check out ATSWatch" OR "atswatch.com" OR "ATS is unethical" OR...OR....OR...
THEN
Delete_Message()
ENDIF

:)

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby HomingPigeon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 pm

skepticoverlord wrote:1) The data will be meaningless without the key only I and our IT support person knows... and for which I'm the only one who can alter the key.

This seems like another response that is not meant to be a complete or to the point.

What is this key concerning data fields in a database. I cannot believe that the data is encrypted. I wonder if this is his way of indicating having to enter an access user/password credentials to the process or whatever. Is it even meaningful in this context.

Wonder if some flaw in he MySql database (I'm guessing that what they use) has been found and some particular nasty data (sql injection, etc.) waiting to activate that is being sought out.
HomingPigeon

Postby Access Denied » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:48 am

LOL Mojo, you must be reading my mind… stop it!

[Ryan you forgot to include AmKon in your code]

Not too hard to see through the cover story…

All your U2U are belong to us!

<sarcasm>

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thr ... pid4785432

SkepticOverload wrote:The U2U Private Message System Is Now Functioning Again.

However, it has been relaunched with a completely new data structure redesign to prevent future data corruption episodes, as well as enhance overall messaging performance. Which means, none of your old messages have been transfered to the new system.

Translation: It’s the same data structure because performance was never really an issue and now I’m starting over with a new empty database as I intended all along.

SkepticOverload wrote:We're still working on a method to provide temporary access to your old messages, so stay tuned.

Translation: The natives were getting restless but now I have all the time in the world to fix the “problem" and if I decide to merge the new database with the old one you will think I’m a genius and praise me for it.

SkepticOverload wrote:Also, the new system will automatically delete all messages more than 45 days old, so please ensure you retain offline versions of anything important. And with this in mind, the quota has been removed for all members.

Translation: You have been bent over and now you will thank me for it.

</sarcasm>

Still no chat though.

How come it’s always one person (who’s never named) that’s causing “performance issues” or “abusing the system” (in a way that’s never revealed) when something goes down (with alarming frequency of late)?

Expect the purging of critics to continue…
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 am

Access Denied wrote:LOL Mojo, you must be reading my mind… stop it!

Expect the purging of critics to continue…

You beat me to it !

Expect the purging of those who openly obey but by U2U attack ATS reasonably soon ?
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby torbjon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Interesting...

So they don't actually Read peoples U2Us...

They program spider/bots to crawl the data base and search for 'buzz words' for them...

All they read are the Reports generated by the spier/bots.

How spiffy is that? Quite the time saver, too.
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:27 pm

mojo wrote:Just for the sake of it, since conspiracy has been mentioned. :)

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380273/pg1

skepticoverlord wrote:
snip...............

...(and in fact, are mere days away from receiving the top certification by the most intensive privacy audit available... it's been ongoing for nearly six weeks now)

snip...............

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380273/pg3#pid4785432

SkepticOverload wrote:The U2U Private Message System Is Now Functioning Again.

However, it has been relaunched with a completely new data structure redesign to prevent future data corruption episodes, as well as enhance overall messaging performance. Which means, none of your old messages have been transfered to the new system.

I wonder if the fact they are "mere" days away from receiving the top privacy certification, along with the fact the old U2U messaging system no longer has any of the old messages - are related to each other?

Nah, couldn't be... :roll:
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Bibliophile » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:59 pm

Has ATS been hacked? Their logo has been replaced by an upside down logo and the phrase "deny ignorance, please!"

I feel kind of bad for SO. He's spending time fixing ATS instead of spending money. /sarcasm
"When a true genius appears, you will know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." ~ Jonathan Swift
Bibliophile

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Yeah, he's changed his avatar too. Quite funny actually.

Normally, flying a flag upside down signifies a distress call. I wonder if they're getting a lot of hassle or something. The "please" on the end of the logo is interesting - more so than anything else.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby torbjon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:44 pm

interesting... I'm doing some research there right now and I did not notice that, however I cleared my cache and now I can see it too...

However, what I DID notice is that Bill's avatar changed while I was working... from his standard reassuring Happy Face to a head in hand Sad Face...

ahh, the joys of being #1.
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby DUCKY » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 pm

torbjon wrote:interesting... I'm doing some research there right now and I did not notice that, however I cleared my cache and now I can see it too...

However, what I DID notice is that Bill's avatar changed while I was working... from his standard reassuring Happy Face to a head in hand Sad Face...

ahh, the joys of being #1.

One wonders if the upside down flag is just a glitch. If it's 'deliberate'...it raises a few questions as to 'why'. For a site to be so precise and meticulous in it's dealings, WHY the 'switcheroo'?

...which brings me to torbjon's pic of a sad-looking-tired-out SO.

Doesn't exude confidence does it? Rather the exact opposite. Just my opinion.

BTW...Thankyou all for having me on your site. This is my 1st post here (be gentle...lol)

I carried the name 'TheDuckster on another site...but decided to be just DUCKY here.
DUCKY

Next

Google

Return to ATS Watch