ATS Down-Sunday, August 10th, 2008

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Re: ATS Down-Sunday, August 10th, 2008

Postby JayKew » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Has SO always had the handle "Site Owner" ?

I wonder what that handle really means and where it leaves Mark Allin and Simon Grey.

Simon Grey, now theres a name from the past !
JayKew
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 am

Apparently, the upside down logo and the changed avatar are due to it being an election year and:
"The Quadrennial Exploitation Of The Moronic Masses"

The logo is because they are in distress and need help. How refreshing of them to admit it ;)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby DUCKY » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Apparently, the upside down logo and the changed avatar are due to it being an election year and:
"The Quadrennial Exploitation Of The Moronic Masses"

The logo is because they are in distress and need help. How refreshing of them to admit it ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Try this one one for size.

WHY would a supposed 'top site' integrate an 'upside-down' logo, as well a 'fore-lorned-over-tired loo'k SO?

It's a 'rouse'...IMO.

Up til this point, RU and AMKON has been inundated with...what's the word....'false decoys'.
DUCKY

Postby moomin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 am

You know the funny thing is that after reading SO's whiney post, all he was saying was THEY THIS and THEY THAT... THEY are ruining our site blah blah. My immediate thought was... well what are THEY (ATS) doing about it ??

There been crappy posting members like that for so long now that I just don't bother posting there anymore. It isn't only the politics section - it pervades throughout the whole of ATS and it is actively encouraged because crappy posts bring out the worst in people and they can't help but to add their post themselves and add to the mediocrity. Crappy posts means more hits! Isn't that what the new mysterious new backers want? (Now here's a thought - why were ATS members never allowed the chance to invest in their beloved ATS the way the secret backers were allowed? After all, they constantly harp on about the importance of the members contributions that make the site). Stop feeling sorry for SO just because he posts a litlle puppy dog picture and ask yourself why on earth have they not stopped all those posts while they were going on?

I'm glad that he's finally noticed how crap 'his' site has become (his site? So what did happen to Simon Grey then? He's never there anymore - did they buy him out/snuff him out/push him out? Someone please ask that question there lol)
moomin

Postby Bibliophile » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:39 pm

moomin wrote:. . . (Now here's a thought - why were ATS members never allowed the chance to invest in their beloved ATS the way the secret backers were allowed? After all, they constantly harp on about the importance of the members contributions that make the site) . . .

I'm glad that he's finally noticed how crap 'his' site has become (his site? So what did happen to Simon Grey then? He's never there anymore - did they buy him out/snuff him out/push him out? Someone please ask that question there lol)

Those are a couple of very good questions. Why not invite the membership to invest, and where is Simon? I cannot remember the last time he posted there.

Is it possible that Grey has decided to keep a lower profile? I suppose I would, especially now that the quality of the site is dropping daily. He must be very disappointed that his creation has devolved from unique to mediocre.

Does Belzer still post over there?
"When a true genius appears, you will know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." ~ Jonathan Swift
Bibliophile

Postby moomin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Belsey? Wasn't he that actor that they thought would do wonders for their site at their press launch party or whatever it was (a total embarrassment and let-down was what most members seemed to think after the huge buildup they gave it) and ICE-T, who would go to the opening of a bag of peanuts if their was free drinks and publicity for him. Perhaps they hope the members have forgotten all about how he was supposed to become a regular member and poster because he certainly seems to have not posted anything at all that I ever saw. They soon shut up about the aftermath of that media debacle and how it hasn't helped the site in the slightest but must have cost quite a bit in free drinks and venue hire etc. Courting the more famous amongst conspiracy researchers and having them as regular posters would do far more for their image.

So has Simon given up on the site then? Internet in the UK is dirt cheap so he would have no problem affording a connection so that's not the reason he never posts. Just where has he vanished to? And if he is 'behind the scenes' then what exactly is he doing as all the main work and attention seems to be US based and by SO and Springer.

There is definitely something fishy going on with the U2U system as the one U2U I really wanted to keep, (where a long time very high up person there admitted to something in their personal life that they would prefer to have members in the dark about) has vanished, yet all the other U2U's I had still remain. This person has had an awful lot of their posts disappear in the past (deliberately done to hide things they had said imho) also but thank G-d for google cache ;) ) I think they have been going to some great lengths to try and find something or hide something. It's odd how they can create a whole blank database and have the time to make sure the same 'mistakes' can't happen again yet the original database seems to be corrupted around sensitive posts or members. They make it difficult for you to save the miraculously recovered messages before they are gone for good... couldn't they just put a 'download all' button so everyone didn't have to click and copy each individual one? Someone should try pressing refresh all the time to test their new database lol. I doubt they will tell who it supposedly was nor will that person admit it either.
moomin

Postby Bibliophile » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 pm

I never followed up on where their "launch party" got them. So it was a failure? Gee, I feel bad about that. :roll:

My nephew certainly enjoyed himself from afar. He was banned for his antics and, eventually, so were his parents. What he posted while "attending" the party was nothing compared to the stupidity I am observing over there presently. He never swore. He only posted some silly statements. But I digress.

The impression I had was that Belzer was a regular poster, then came out of the closet, so to speak. It was then that the 3 A's latched onto him. I may be in error. For the most part, I follow what goes on there via my family members.

In any case, my sister was terribly annoyed by the steroidal build-up to the party and the ensuing disappointment that was watching a bunch of people drinking via feed. She felt they should have waited and labored towards a convention of some sort, which would consolidate the ATS membership and nurture a sense of teamwork in the venture.

In her eyes, all the 3 A's accomplished with their stunt was to alienate a large number of the membership by exclusion. Thus, when she learned she was banned, she was not all that upset.

They kept pumping people up, telling them the membership is what makes the "place" and then the people who provide the meat had to observe the festivities from a distance. In my opinion, this is not the best way to encourage participation or to strengthen relationships.

They cut their own throat. After their snotty treatment of my family for the minor violations committed by my nephew, I would not throw them a Band-Aid.
"When a true genius appears, you will know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." ~ Jonathan Swift
Bibliophile

Postby mojo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:34 pm

moomin wrote:Crappy posts means more hits! Isn't that what the new mysterious new backers want?

Its impossible to gauge what it is the investors want unless you know who they are. Only then would it be possible to ascertain any particular agenda they may have. ;)
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby HomingPigeon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 pm

I consider the move toward something that might be termed the Advertiser Content Compliance Policy to be the factor that will move that site away from the original stated purpose. Everything revolves around not upsetting future advertisers. Fine, the road to profits, not necessarily the road to truth. I believe the current posting climate at that site backs this point up.

My favorite comment is the old 'watch what you post, 12 year olds are reading this site'. I believe it will be a rare day when a 12 year old is meaningfully participating in these discussions. Never to young to learn but society has decided to protect them so maybe it's not the place for them. Of course that would limit traffic so all bets off.

I do believe that threads with far out claims are what will bring in the masses. It is quite obvious that posters are not being held to any level of proof or back up to their claims. Not needed in the new climate.

As far as outages and pressure, welcome to the world. The money will want answers and 'no' or a problem is never a valid answer.

I suspect they will find that server and process logs are useful when trouble arises. Of course I suppose it could be said that i am hanging on to old traditional methods.
HomingPigeon

Postby Access Denied » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:35 pm

This appears to be confirmation the chat was down in an attempt to stop the bleeding and continue to restrict the ability of people to communicate freely and monitor their every move…

CHAT IS BACK! (and for a limited time, you only need 50 posts)
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread382210/pg1

SkepticOverload wrote:
[snip amazing new features]

Also, to celebrate the new chat, members only need 50 posts to chat... this will be in place for the next 24 hours, then after that it will be raised to a 150 post minimum.

So just keep those posts coming folks, even if you have to make up a reason to! Remember, at ATS it’s all about quantity not quality.

Shortly after this a mod reiterates that the (whatever we say goes) T&C still apply in chat…

You know what they say about a pig in lipstick?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:25 am

Access Denied wrote:You know what they say about a pig in lipstick?

Yep.
Its called my sister :D :D

Sorry. Ill go.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Bibliophile » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Please refresh my memory. I thought chat originally required something like a minimum of 200 posts, yes?
Bibliophile

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 pm

200 certainly rings a bell, but I never used it so can't be sure.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:05 am

What’s the difference? Is it just me or does anybody else think it’s strange that a supposedly “free” site make you “pay” for stuff (“privileges”) with posts other sites give you as soon as you sign up? (especially the ability to send private messages)

Seems to me it’s a thinly veiled (well maybe not no so thinly for some) scheme to increase the post count and line the owner’s pockets… and also as a way to prevent banned members from chatting with their friends (like telling them what happened and where they went) until they “pay” the owner’s back.

Maybe that’s why they have no problem banning people for stupid stuff and don’t enforce the rules on sockpuppets… they know most will come back under a new name anyway and will promptly go about posting to get their “privileges” back.

Bonus points for arse kissing…
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:40 am

And here is a little story from LiveScience (on msnbc) that deals with the kind of "business model" that the ATS yahoos have going:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26268698/

Monsters are everywhere these days, and belief in them is as strong as ever. What's harder to believe is why so many people buy into hazy evidence, shady schemes and downright false reports that perpetuate myths that often have just one ultimate truth: They put money in the pockets of their purveyors.

(snip)

Today's ubiquitous and often one-sided, promotional coverage of the paranormal, both on the Internet and TV, perpetuate myths and folklore as well or better than any ancient storyteller. Fiction and belief masquerade as fact and news, feeding the 24/7 appetite of the easily swayed.

Scientists are left with an impossible task: proving something does not exist. You can prove a rock is there. You can't prove that Bigfoot or a ghost or the god of thunder is not there. Bigfoot paraphernalia purveyors and cash-cow psychics know this well.

And thus why it is a red flag whenever a true believer (or snake oil salesman) asks someone to prove a negative. It is their last (only?) defense to keep the cash cow mooing.

Benjamins. All about the Benjies. Greedy bastards.
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to ATS Watch