What do you hope to achieve?

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Re: What do you hope to achieve?

Postby Access Denied » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Chorlton wrote:This forum (and Amkon) is doing its job in seeing a(form of) level playing field, though personally I feel the categories here need sorting out and expanding a bit.
This isnt a dig lads, merely an observation. ?

You mean in the ATS Watch forum or the board overall? Suggestions please!

[if the later, use the Site Business forum]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby mojo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Access Denied wrote:
Chorlton wrote:This forum (and Amkon) is doing its job in seeing a(form of) level playing field, though personally I feel the categories here need sorting out and expanding a bit.

Just do what i do chorlton, post stuff and leave it for AD to figure out where to put it. :D

seriously though, i'd like to post some theories i have regarding ancient civs and archaeology and history but not really sure what forum they'd fit into here.
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Jack'sDead » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Chorlton wrote:But one must ask, why would any person with one braincell of logic go back there, other than, like a zoo visit, one likes to look in to the lower forms of life?

I can't say that I haven't enjoyed most of my time there. Obviously I have some concerns about their decision to silence me, but that doesn't mean that I didn't learn anything there. I had some good conversations with some good people. It does seem though, that a lot of those good people have serious concerns about ATS as well when I talk to them in private.

On the other hand, there is a lot of real junk over there too. I just sort of ignored the ridiculous and went for the stuff that was interesting or had some merit. I do have to say though, that I was becoming bored after a year or so there. A lot of the same old arguments with the same characters.
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby torbjon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 am

"A lot of the same old arguments with the same characters."

Rather astute observation, that...

And a lot of those same old arguments with the same old characters are in Brand New Threads (woohoo!)

I've asked, as a member in "good standing", as a member on shaky ground, and as a disgruntled ex ats member WHY threads with identical topics / subject matter are not rolled together into ONE thread to help centralize information and expedite serious research...

Never got a straight answer *shrugs* Repeated content is good for google placement, makes the site look bigger than it really is, ups the odds of page views and click throughs...

Doesn't really do much to deny ignorance though...

oh well.
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:00 am

mojo wrote:seriously though, i'd like to post some theories i have regarding ancient civs and archaeology and history but not really sure what forum they'd fit into here.

Stay tuned… :D

torbjon wrote:Doesn't really do much to deny ignorance though...

Certainly not when your well thought out presentation or rebuttal gets buried by a mountain of AOL "me too" posts and other assorted nonsense… hardly seems worth the effort.

The threads I enjoyed participating in at ATS involved maybe only a handful or so of “core” posters either “for” or “against” a particular topic that all involved were obviously passionate and knowledgeable about… now 95% or more of the stuff posted there I don’t understand how anyone who’s being intellectually honest would want themselves to be associated with. I don’t know, maybe it was already that way when I stumbled in there and I just didn’t realize it…

What I enjoy about at RU (and the only reason why I still share my $0.02 on these topics after my traumatic experience with willful ignorance at ATS lol) is the relaxed pace and high signal to noise ratio… everyone who chooses to participate has a voice… that is if they can handle the scrutiny and can humbly ascribe that which can’t be supported by evidence to mere belief. :)

[or opinion depending on the subject]

I think there’s a lot to be said for quality over quantity and with a little more quality (read a few more passionate and knowledgeable posters with alternative points of view to keep things interesting) I think this place could finally begin to pay for itself… we already have a fairly high readership to active participant ratio as far as obscure forums go which tells me collectively we must be doing something “right” and there’s a few folks out there who enjoy watching our little train wreck. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 am

Access Denied wrote:

I just think a few more sections would help. Sometimes you have something that doesnt really fit into any category.
I think one specifically for Newspapers reports of any type, UFO supernatural etc etc would be a good idea. Thats just one.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Awesome suggestions. One thing to be mindful of is overwhelming people who first come here with too many "Forums" - that's one thing we struggled with at the very beginning. We had far too many forums, and when you do that, too many of them go dormant and unused, giving the impression to new visitors that the forum isn't an active one. In the first couple of years we worked on chopping down the overall website to the forums that you see today.

With that said, as the site grows, the need for additional topics increases (because more members mean more active interest), so obviously we need to allow the forum to grow as the membership does. AD is on the right track at the moment with some planned additions to the site - I think everyone will be pleased with the new topics.

I want to thank everyone for making RU a place that you come to visit every day for a good read and good conversation. With your continued support, RU will quickly become one of the top science/logic/reason-based paranormal sites on the internet.

Our reach now touches a number of other supporting websites including Associated Content, Ehow, Twitter, our individual blogs, and of course my new heavy focus and writing work at Paranormal.LovetoKnow.com. All of these outside projects help to drive traffic to RealityUncovered, and we also use RU's research (properly credited) at those side projects.

If you guys do use other social networks such as Twitter, MySpace, LiveJournal, Facebook, or other forums and blogs out there - we'd be forever grateful for mentioning our site and for quoting any of the content from our site out there on the net in the course of your discussions.

Thanks again for all of your support,
-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Jack'sDead » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:48 pm

torbjon wrote:And a lot of those same old arguments with the same old characters are in Brand New Threads (woohoo!)

I always felt like I was about to get reprimanded for "derailing" when I would link to other threads in which issues had already been covered. The other thing that I noticed though, is that most people didn't even bother to go look anyway, and would still carry on in futility. I think their little point system fuels that.
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby AgitatedBrain » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:31 am

JiveTurkey wrote:
ATS_DeFeNdEr wrote:What is the point of ATS watch?

All I have seen so far is banned ex-ATS-members venting their frustration. Plenty of claims of proof of hoax involvment, but alas, they remain claims.

ATS Watch = Sour Grapes Forum.

A_D

Is that you Whori?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Hilarious. Hahahahahahahahaahah :lol:
AgitatedBrain

Previous

Google

Return to ATS Watch