The ATS Phenomenon Keeps Growing, And Growing... [HOAX]

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

The ATS Phenomenon Keeps Growing, And Growing... [HOAX]

Postby Access Denied » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:51 pm

[Note: I put this post together a while back and forgot about it so the data is almost a month old. The most recent data for ATS can be seen at Google Trends for Websites by clicking on this link. –AD]

The ATS Phenomenon Keeps Growing, And Growing...
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread395679/pg1

For anyone who as been watching our Quantcast ranking, our steady rise in prominence and popularity will be no big surprise. Each week, our traffic rank been inching forward -- sometimes in big jumps, other times in small steps -- in a steady rise into the company of major mainstream web sites.

[snip]

Today, our traffic rank surpassed (admittedly by one point) an Internet legend of high traffic, SlashDot.org.

[snip chart]

For those who may be unfamiliar with SlashDot, its popularity in technology circles is so intense, that sites linked from their home page are often so overwhelmed form the resulting traffic, that they crash within hours (sometimes minutes) of appearing... this is otherwise known as the "SlashDot effect." Well, as of today, the "ATS Effect" will now be known. ;)

Wow really?

[resists the urge to hurl]

Let’s see what Google (aka God) says, not some “up and coming” ranking site that webmasters have to sign up for and add code to their site in order to be tracked “properly” so they can market their site to others based on highly questionable statistics…

Hmm…

I wonder what the fine folks over at Slashdot think of this? ;)

[one of the first online forums I joined... "News For Nerds, Stuff That Matters"]

They're still 10 times more popular... that's a full order of magnitude!

[for the nerds in the audience]

Mr. Overlord then goes on to his give his flock this encouraging news…

We're also getting within 100-150 points of highly-popular mainstream destinations such as:

informationweek.com
opera.com
schwab.com
norton.com
smartmoney.com
style.com
hm.com
goarmy.com

Wow really?

Let’s compare the first four…

Hmmm…

OK well, how about the next three?

Hmmm…

OK well, how about the last one?

Go ATS!

[not sure how many people hang out at Go Army every day though and it should be noted they don’t run any ads]

And finally Mr. Overlord ends with this warm and fuzzy…

This is a clear indication that together, we are being successful in working to educate the broader online audience about the topics we feel are important.

Wow really?

[hold on, I just threw up in my mouth a little]

Let’s see how many people ATS is actually reaching and whether or not they are “growing and growing” as claimed…

Hmmm…

Looks like they peaked out around 30,000 unique daily visitors at the beginning of this year and then sort of flat lined.

Phenomenal!

Isn’t it good to know you can always trust the management of ATS to give you the straight dope?

Now the question is would you buy a used car from this people?

P.S. For you George Orwell fans out there check this out…

Cookie Corrected Audience Data
http://www.quantcast.com/docs/cookie-co ... e-overview

How does Quantcast deal with cookie deletion, and translation to people?

At Quantcast we have access to multiple complementary data sources. We have several panels which provide for audience estimates which are free of cookie deletion. Our Quantified Publisher program captures over 75 billion media consumption events every month, generated by more than 1.4 billion cookies (data as of June, 2008). What's more, many of our Quantified Publisher partners share anonymous identifiers with us that are independent of cookies. This mass of data - with different collection processes, biases and issues — allows us to effectively "triangulate" and develop dynamic, and accurate projections. For additional insights into how our model works see our Cookie Corrected Audience White Paper.

Rest assured ATS is doing their part to feed the Cookie Monster.

[Disclaimer: "Google Trends provides insights into broad search patterns. Please keep in mind that several approximations are used when computing these results. All traffic statistics are estimates."]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Re: The ATS Phenomenon Keeps Growing, And Growing... [HOAX]

Postby Phalenx5 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:37 am

Yeah I would have to agree. All the management at ATS seems to be concerned about right now or has been concerned about is making as many hoaxes as possible to attract visitors. I remember in one thread where I made a complaint about a BS email newsletter and asked why they were doing it I think SO admitted he was doing it to see responses or something like that, but, he didn't admit if the information was truthful or not and I got bashed by a lot of mods for bringing it up. I'd wish that ATS would stop trying to brag about being the popular kid at school and would just go back to the way it was with quality and denying ignorance. Even the guys at their mix shows (ATS, PTS, and BTS) seem to dumb down their shows for their listener audience to attract more potential visitors. Do you think ATS will ever go back to being smart and intelligent? I can't believe how the mods and admins think a lot of ATS members are intelligent. I see a lot of ignorant people there all the time. I wish that ATS would be more community oriented. I mean who cares about numbers if there aren't any quality posts?
Phalenx5

Postby ryguy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Phalenx5 wrote:I mean who cares about numbers if there aren't any quality posts?

A corporation. It's how they work. McDonald's, Wal-Mart, etc...all interested in numbers over quality. For the large part, they're fairly successful, but they end up earning the reputation of having poor quality products which the poorly educated are willing to eat up, regardless. The fact that their numbers remain high is an indication of the general majority intelligent-level of the population, unfortunately. But you can find solace in the fact that there are places of refuge where you can hob-nob with others, like you, who are capable of seeing the forest for the trees. Have I welcomed you to RU yet? If not, welcome. :)

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:15 am

Well, it appears times are getting tough for the owners of ATS. Here’s the latest “growth” statistics from Google Trends…

ats_google_trends_022010.gif
ats_google_trends_022010.gif (7.73 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

Note that the data only goes back to December of 2009 now but here’s the data I saved from May 2007 on…

abovetopsecret.gif
abovetopsecret.gif (8.18 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

It would appear they’ve gone from an average of around 20,000 to 40,000 unique visitors a day over three years.

Now ATS is taking a drastic approach and blocking anybody who takes the necessary steps to protect themselves from their malicious ads (served by less than ethical, but higher paying, third-party ad networks) from reading their site with this…

It looks like you're using some kind of software designed to block advertising while surfing our site.

We work very hard to provide an efficient Internet presence that services over 200,000 daily visits from people and automated web spiders. A large web site like this, that can handle that amount of traffic, is increasingly expensive to operate. Our only source of revenue (for now) are the ads displayed on each page, which typically represent less than three percent of the "square footage" of our content pages.

If you enjoy our content, please enable our domain in your ad-blocking package.

Thank you.
The Above Network, LLC
Owners of AboveTopSecret.com

That was the first version of the message. They’ve since replaced it with a smaller one that doesn’t block you from viewing most of the page and removed the part about the ads only taking up 3% of the space.

[some pages appear to have up to five or more different ads]

Also, as you can see above, Google doesn’t agree with their 200,000 daily visitors claim… more like an average of only 40,000.

[70% of which are “passers-by” anyways, according to Quantcast less than 1% are “addicts” that visit more than once a day per month]

Clicking on the “more information” link directs you to this thread…

Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love. (article)
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread549556/pg1

Where Mark posted this…

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thr ... pid8274211

Springer wrote:We have two members openly declaring they are violating our Terms And Conditions of use by employing ad blockers and essentially free-loading off their fellow members.

They are now banned for violating the TAC.

Nice! As if the members are getting paid for their contributions instead of Mark and Bill.

And Bill posted this in response to the obvious…

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thr ... pid8274577

SkepticOverlord wrote:
fumanchu wrote:There are plenty of sites on the internet with higher traffic ranking than ATS who do not need to resort to advertisements in order to bay the bills.

Hrm... which sites are those?

Ever heard of Twitter or Wikipedia?

Not to mention comparable sites like BAUT and JREF who like us, only use minimal non-intrusive ads…

Now, if you enjoyed this post, please click on the PayPal “Donate” link at the bottom of this page or else we will start serving up malicious ads to our visitors!

Thank you,
The RU3
Owners of Reality Uncovered
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:06 am

Well, if this doesn’t make Bill and Mark and rich, I’m afraid nothing will…

Introducing the ATS Conspiracy Chicks
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread562782/pg1

Springer wrote:After reading this thread I am ever so grateful certain people don't run this business. We'd be depressed, broke and shouting through a megaphone in a week.

If you think this is about "sex" or, "using sex to sell", I'd suggest you don't know much about sex or selling. If this offends you PLEASE stay inside, the world we all live in will cause you to flip right out.

If you have no sense of humor and, utterly lack social skills, this show will infuriate you, DON'T WATCH IT.

We use "mainstream, stylistic" production values because they WORK. They attract people rather than repel them.

I know there is handful of members who think the worst thing possible is for us to attract the unwashed heathens and their inferior opinions... I would say that based on that thinking those very members would have been considered "unwashed heathens" before they found ATS.

To all those who "get it" and are willing to give it a shot, THANKS! :D

Springer...

Got it?

[NOTE: The titles “Texas Hottie” and “British Cutie” have now been redacted from the initial promo due to popular demand...]
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Access Denied wrote:
[NOTE: The titles “Texas Hottie” and “British Cutie” have now been redacted from the initial promo due to popular demand...]

Redacted? or simply Removed ?
Sorry to be pedantic but Im getting a bit pissed off lately with many many people (including the BEEB) using 'redacted' when they simply mean, removed.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:08 am

Chorlton wrote:Redacted? or simply Removed ?

Hmm, good question…

Fearing a thread derail in 3, 2, 1 my initial response was simply going to be “Yes.”

However, upon further reflection, it occurs to me that colloquially, to redact is to prepare for publication but in this case, the promo had already been released with the offending titles so perhaps “censored” would be a more appropriate term to use?

redact
1 : to put in writing : frame
2 : to select or adapt (as by obscuring or removing sensitive information) for publication or release; broadly : edit
3 : to obscure or remove (text) from a document prior to publication or release

I don’t know, you tell me… English was your damn silly language first. :)
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 am

I've always considered the Word 'redacted' to be used when something has been prepared for publication but not yet released. Parts or words can then be redacted. (Then again they could also be removed) But then if they were redacted or removed before publication no one, othere than the author and proofreader would know, so whats the point?

To me its just another 'Buzzword' people use. The BEEB is guilty of this as well (as I constantly tell them).
When the Chiclot Enquiry into the Gulf war was starting they presented several documents with big black lines through certain points and they called those comments 'redacted' They werent redacted at all, they were still there, they had merely been censored. What we have, in the UK at least are rather dull people who are trying to sound cool by using words like 'Redacted' and 'Deployed' (thats another bastard word I dislike and is widely missused).
I realise that all language evolves and I dont have a problem with that at all. Its the wrong use of words that annoys me.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to ATS Watch