Misleading threads on ATS.

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Misleading threads on ATS.

Postby Phalenx5 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:05 pm

I am getting sick of how so many users are posting one story on ATS and the story is false yet they aren't being called out for their posts being hoaxes. Intellectual debate is what the website is for. I've noticed that many users have posted false information as fact and have gotten away with it. I think ATS should be more scholarly like. Research credible sources. There are so many credible sources out there about conspiracy theories that you don't need to find a false and incredulous source. It would be okay if the OP didn't know if the alleged things that they posted about were false but it seems like there are just so many users that like to troll and post false information... if they posted opinion threads on ATS it would be fine but they flat out lie/mislead people. I think these misleading threads should not be tolerated and it's just one more failure of the management of ATS to control the quality of the forums.
Phalenx5

Re: Misleading threads on ATS.

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Hence the need for a place like RU... now more than ever! =D>

We can't fix what is wrong with ATS. But we can lead by example to show what ATS is missing.
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Jack'sDead » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Yes. ATS likes to posture as if they were the most "scholarly" and hold themselves to the highest levels of integrity, but after some time there you see that claim is nothing more than cover for their own agenda(s). And you will be banned if you challenge their biases logically.

EDIT to add: I would not be so concerned about ATS "weeding out" the garbage, if they did not go ahead and "throw the baby out with the bath water" so to speak. (After all, I don't have to bother posting in some garbage thread.) But so many people who posted great material have been banned for issues of "integrity" or "un-sportmans like conduct" while the real garbage is ignored, and ATS's own integrity is far from being in line with their moderation. I would much rather deal with the occasional overheated debate, than squelch open expression and the quest for truth. Especially to the point of their permanently banning regularly contributing members who post great material.

ATS is far from what they hype themselves to be, and I think it goes beyond innocent human bias as well. I genuinely believe that there is some un-named agenda being carried out over there, that they cloak with these sort of "accidents" or "speed bumps" as if they were still in the learning process of how to make a better site. Their "mistakes" are amateur.
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Jack'sDead wrote:But so many people who posted great material have been banned for issues of "integrity" or "un-sportmans like conduct" while the real garbage is ignored, and ATS's own integrity is far from being in line with their moderation. I would much rather deal with the occasional overheated debate, than squelch open expression and the quest for truth. Especially to the point of their permanently banning regularly contributing members who post great material.

Much of that, in my opinion, comes down to lack of an established way of "gauging" truth...or garbage as everyone here likes to call it...lol. And you're absolutely right, a lot of stuff remains that blatently fails the sort of tests we like to define to filter out those stories that don't even deserve the time of day - and only add to the noise.

We had a bit of discussion early on in this forum's life - everyone here really contributed a lot to it. It was basically, what rules do you put in place in order to define, in an unbiased way, what "truth" is? I mean...think about that concept. That's really difficult, especially in a field where so many peole have their own beliefs and biases. Ray and I jump into that concept constantly when we talk about religion, and in many ways the paranormal becomes just like religion for so many people.

The only way you can establish a good litmus test is through the use of scientific principles, and adhering to them regardless of how cool or interesting the story may be. Thankfully, in the paranormal, unlike in religion, there are ways to gather evidence. This isn't the mainstream approach, and it certainly isn't the popular approach - but it's the only one that'll get you the truth. I still believe ATS was founded on those principles - but when you need to cater to mass appeal, you can't really try to filter out stories that aren't likely to be true. You can't throw out stories that are bringing in 50 times more traffic/hits than the stories that have evidence to support them...but aren't quite as outrageous or cool. That's ATS' dilemma, and that's the trap they're in.

Unfortunately, Simon didn't establish a firm set of rules, years ago, in order to keep out the hype and silliness. Now that it's grown a little bit, that's a lot harder to do. It is nice to have a place, here, where we can move forward and adhere to those rules - we can take part in the search for good evidence in an environment where wackos can't typically survive for more than 4 or 5 posts before the engineers, physicists, scientists, and the most awesome open-minded critical thinkers I've ever met drive them out with their tail between their legs.

You'll also notice that the outrageous stories backed by real witnesses, real places, and where questions are answered truthfully and straightforward remain. It is possible...

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Jack'sDead » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 pm

ryguy wrote:...You'll also notice that the outrageous stories backed by real witnesses, real places, and where questions are answered truthfully and straightforward remain. It is possible...

-Ry

Well, like I said, I am not so offended by "garbage" threads, so long as lack of filtering in one aspect, doesn't amount to overzealous filtering on others. There were plenty of threads that I chose not to participate in over there because they were real trash, because I was simply not interested, or even that I had nothing or value to contribute.

I don't think there really needs to be any official sort of litimus test for truth. Reality is defined by consensus. And of course, evidence is the best avenue to sway the logical and critical-thinking reader.
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Google

Return to ATS Watch