Its Official ATS Has Run Out of Topics

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Its Official ATS Has Run Out of Topics

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Ok so maybe thats a tad alarmist but the ATS newsletter(no pun intended) that showed up in my inbox today carried the banner headline FEMA ADMITS TO UFOS or something of that sort. I don't have the exact copy cause once I opened it and saw what it was about I chucked it.
Its about the 1992 Firefighters Handbook and the infamous Chapter 13 which can be found here-
http://www.greatdreams.com/ufos/firefighters.htm or here-
http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/firefigh.html
I still to this day don't get the FEMA connection but I do know this has been done and redone even on ATS.
So there ya have it they have now resorted to rehashing old news in the guise of new news.
fini
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Its Official ATS Has Run Out of Topics

Postby Access Denied » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 am

Au contraire…

They have the new “2012” forum with such mind-blowing topics as this one…

[thread started in early 2007]

Have you ever thought that the year 2012 was disinfo & the real date is 2008 and what does it mean?
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread263433/pg1

The good news is they’ve got at least another ~3.75 years to milk the subject.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby the|exx » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:03 pm

I agree, the same old 'news' gets regurgitated ad nauseum. Mutton dressed as lamb. For instance, the recent Meier/Horn thread by IndigoChild was a complete and utter travesty... but aren't they always. Replete with the same old Wedding Cakes, Dinosaurs, Alien Babes, Childrens Cosmic Spark Guns and Tin foil suits. It's always amazed me that the Plejorans can traverse the galaxy unscathed only to get the craft consistently snagged on every single tree branch once they reach earth.

Further confirmation that the mental health industry is in complete disarray.

the|exx :roll:
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 pm

the|exx wrote:Further confirmation that the mental health industry is in complete disarray.

the|exx :roll:

Either that, or it's a booming industry. :)
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Yeah its apparently booming at ATS.
the|exx wrote:
It's always amazed me that the Plejorans can traverse the galaxy unscathed only to get the craft consistently snagged on every single tree branch once they reach earth.

Don't know if you caught my post over in the hoax threads, but here's a little factoid. As long as Mike Horn has been promoting the Meier hoax he has always refered to the people as Pleiadians(so has anyone else involved). Then I see an entry in the Mammoth Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrial Encounters that he authored where he himself says that the term Pleiadian is no longer to be used since the Pleiades are uninhabitable. The word to use henceforth is Plejarans. But he leaves out where these Plejarans originate. My guess is his own head.
Hey maybe the wackjobs at ATS could start a thread on that. At least then they'd be doing something more original.
Or maybe thats what ATS has become, a place to infinitely argue the same old junk over and over ad nauseum.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby the|exx » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:39 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:maybe thats what ATS has become, a place to infinitely argue the same old junk over and over ad nauseum.

Yep, that about sums it up LHC!

I get the distinct feeling that many believe if you keep resurrecting the same tired old sh!t enough, it will magically become real. I also heard that if you watch a movie on DVD enough times, the ending will change too. [-o<

the|exx
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey Lexx maybe your behind the times or something but they do have dvds with alternate endings.
Any way I remember when I was a heavy user on the UFO forums at ATS and it seemed like no sooner had a thread run its course then some goof would try and start a new one with the same info but worded different. Just trying to get the thread credit I guess.
When I read your above post I definitely got a laugh.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby waif » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:10 am

Lol

The internet has run out of topics if this thread topic is true.

LOL!!!
waif

Postby ryguy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Nah...ATS is far from representative of the Internet.

There are loads of fascinating and interesting topics being discussed on the web - it's just that ATS is no longer the place to go for the latest and greatest, unfortunately. They're now overrun by lemmings who keep rehashing the same cliche topics over and over...

Hey I haven't compared the trends in a while - I was in love with ATS from 2005 through 2006, then left them for greener pastures. RU is still my labor of love now, but as some of you know (and to Steve's disgust.. :) ) I started work with two other websites, for pay, in 2008. I occasionally compare the sites to see how things are evolving between the sites. Given, they all serve different genres, they all three are content websites - it's just that these two pay for content rather than, like ATS, depending on free user-generated content.

Blue - ATS, Red - LoveToKnow

Blue ATS, Red - MakeUseOf

oooh...look at that. Start of 2009, ATS dropped and MUO started rockin. Good content is king, baby. :)

Is it a general overall loss of interest in the subject area of UFO's and the paranormal? Or is it that certain websites just don't know how to capture what people want to read on the Internet? It certainly isn't from lack of interest.

Search trends for "ghosts", "aliens" or "UFOs" are all holding strong. Unless ATS gets with the program - they're out of the picture. Entertaining the fringe wackjob corner of the net may be entertaining, but it's not what the larger, general population is searching for. The traffic trends should wake ATS management up to that reality. It's sad, really, because ATS was great, and could have been even greater. They just took a wrong turn a few miles back.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby the|exx » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:39 pm

If that blue line represented some poor guys brainwave activity, I'd imagine the donor banks would be screaming for his organs by now!

the|exx :twisted:
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Question ry, why is the ATS line different in the graphs? Is this related to content?
Just curious as I would think the amount of daily unique visits would be the same since the only difference is the site it's compared to.
There certainly are enough UFO and Paranormal sites out there so maybe it's that the topics are too dispursed.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 am

They’re the same, they just look different because the two graphs are scaled differently on the vertical axis.

Here’s a direct link to Google Trends that you can play around with…

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=abovetopsecret.com

If you sign in (create a Gmail account) you will see the vertical axis labeled with the number of unique daily visitors… ATS has been wobbling around 20,000 or so for the last year.

If you’re interested, I started this thread a while back using Google Trends to illustrate the funny numbers Bill was trying to use to mindf*ck the membership into believing they were going to change the world…

The ATS Phenomenon Keeps Growing, And Growing... [HOAX]

The truth is nobody really cares about this stuff. Hell, who knew more people are interested in talking about skyscrapers…

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=abo ... ercity.com

SkyscraperCity - In Urbanity We Trust
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri May 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks AD. After playing around with the link you provided I get it.
Apparently ATS doesn't.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon May 04, 2009 2:33 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:Thanks AD. After playing around with the link you provided I get it.
Apparently ATS doesn't.

Especially Mark, apparently. After my post above, he emailed me and derided me for making "silly" comparisons. Remarking about how many millions of unique visitors ATS gets every month versus MakeUseOf's apparently paltry numbers. I shared this with Steve, he agreed that since the geeks at MUO only get a million or so a month, they should give up, pack up their bags and go home..lol!!

I pointed out that regardless of the numbers that Mark claims, Google's numbers in the charts I provided have "unique daily visitors" printed clearly on the graphs. Soooooo...how can the numbers be wrong unless ATS knows more than Google? I don't know...maybe he thought I was dumb enough to do a Google Trends search for the keyword "abovetopsecret.com" rather than the cool website comparison trend tool that Google has available.

I haven't heard back from Mark since. ;)

Hey - ATS dudes, if you're interested in a new business model that would get that graph climbing again - just let us know. There are a lot of people here with some ideas that'll get ATS rockin' again, if you're willing to listen.

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Ahh...now Bill is also trying to say Google isn't correct. :) I'd post Bill's comments, but after the round of ATS lawsuit threats last time, I'm not really interested in the drama.

Suffice to say, he's essentially saying that since ATS doesn't "opt-in" their analytics data, then Google doesn't have the accurate "true" numbers.

I would counter with this...Google uses an aggregate of data, not just opt-in Google analytics numbers. And it's numbers may not be exact or perfectly reflect "raw" data, but it does tend to follow an accurate measurement of the overall trend of the site traffic. No matter how you cut it, ATS traffic is flat and/or down.

Here's a bit of additional info for Bill to mull over, from SEO Speedwagon titled Exactly How Accurate IS Google Trends for Websites? Here are a few good quotes:

One question that hasn't been discussed to death, however, is the actual accuracy of the traffic numbers that Google is reporting. I ran some numbers on some sample sites and laid the Google Trends lines over the actual traffic numbers:

(graphs snipped - but Google's chart roughly followed the actual raw data trend of both sites)

The verdict? In general, Google doesn't do too awfully bad, especially considering that neither of the sites above use Google Analytics or Urchin to measure their traffic.

The peaks and valleys are roughly similar. Roughly. Yet the scale is off pretty dramatically, with Google underreporting the traffic on one of the sites by a factor of two.

So my recommendation is that to gauge large trends (seasonality, results of large offline campaigns, etc.), Google Trends is a decent first look. It's probably a safe bet that when you plot two sites within the same vertical, that their relative lines will be more or less accurate when contrasted. But don't trust it for raw numbers.

Just to be fair, Google never said it was 100% accurate, stating in the post that "because data is estimated and aggregated over a variety of sources, it may not match the other data sources you rely on for web traffic information."

Split hairs about the accuracy of the "raw data" all you like, or whether Google trends for websites are "right on" with the raw data - the big picture remains the same. You're trending downward guys, and unless you are a little more flexible and open to the possibility that you could be doing things a lot better - it's probably going to remain that way.

It's really sad. ATS could be pretty amazing.

Best,
-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to ATS Watch