WTF? S.O. is at it again!

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

WTF? S.O. is at it again!

Postby pack3tg0st » Sun May 17, 2009 4:42 am

Abovetopsecret at it again?

Is this another SOTT type incident... Amkon.net recieved this from SkepticOverlord this morning:

Attn: "Amkon.net" operators and HostGator service provider...

Pursuant to 17 USC 512(c)(3)(A), this communication serves as a statement that:
As CEO of The Above Network, LLC, I am an authorized agent for content posted to our online social content community, "AboveTopSecret.com", as authorized by members in our Terms & Conditions as they elect to join the community.

These exclusive rights are being violated by material available upon your site, without proper attribution or adherence to our clearly posted usage guidelines, at the following URL(s):
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6603&start=80
first post by "homingpigeon"
second post by "cogburn"
third post by "cogburn"
forth post by "hominpigeon"
sixth post by "cogburn"
ninth post by "homingpigeon"
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6603&start=60
second post by "pack3tg0st"
14th post by "pack3tg0st"
16th post by "hominpigeon"
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6603&start=40
third post by "homingpigeon"

In fact, there is an inordinate amount of improperly attributed content from our domain, AboveTopSecret.com, throughout your "Amkon.net" web site, some of which is posted-by or commented on by those labeled as "administrators" or "moderators," so as to be impossible to list in one email.
The original content, along with clearly posted usage guidelines which you have ignored, was posted by contributors of our site, and entrusted to our stewardship.

I have a good faith belief that the use of this material in such a fashion is not authorized by the copyright holder, the copyright holder's agent, the law, or our clearly linked copyright and usage guidelines that accompany each and every piece of content on our domains;

Under penalty of perjury in a United States court of law, I state that the information contained in this notification is accurate, and that I am authorized to act on the behalf of the exclusive rights holder for the material in question;

I may be contacted by the following methods:
***REMOVED BY REQUEST***

I hereby request that you IMMEDIATELY REMOVE this and all material originating from the AboveTopSecret.com domain, or any other domain owned by The Above Network, LLC, from your website, and additionally inform you that edits to correct neglected attribution are not sufficient to satisfy our usage guidelines.

***REMOVED BY REQUEST***

Link: http://www.amkon.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6641

All of that, over a little thread on WITD... I don't understand it...

anyway, here's the material SkepticOverlord wants removed... better check it quick in case Amkon's hosting company caves in to ATS...

http://www.amkon.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6603

sad really... they run the biggest conspiracy site on the net, by their own admission... yet they have the need to mess with the little guys...
'You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.'

Oscar Wylde
pack3tg0st

Re: WTF? S.O. is at it again!

Postby Access Denied » Sun May 17, 2009 6:06 am

pack3tg0st wrote:I don't understand it...

I’m not buying it. :)

Considering you wrote and Cogburn responded…

http://www.amkon.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 201#p95201

Cogburn wrote:
pack3tg0st wrote:Just copy/past that after the URL for the other site... (Dun wanna give them more links)

This should be the M.O. for all Amkon.

It shouldn’t come as any surprise that Bill pwned you guys... his superiority complex demands it.

[omitting links is poor netiquitte but so is immediately threatening a law suit]

Nice publicity stunt though… :wink:

Anyway, I notice Amkon lost everybody’s posts since last year or so because the backup didn’t work? Bummer.

Also, I see Chorlton bailed on you guys too? :roll:

[and Toon followed him out the door]

I take it they didn't like the fact that "free speech" works both ways? :D
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby pack3tg0st » Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 am

We actually have the sources websites posted back... we just posted with IP instead of Domain name...

I think thats Bill's problem... it doesn't have his websites name every other post.

But yah, we did lose all our crap... the backup was corrupt and we couldn't get it all back...

friggan lame... but we're still kickin' around...

I'm not suprised that bill is ticked though, I'm more shocked that he picked a particular thread to mess with... it just struck me as odd. Think of all the stuff we've put up there over time...

Anyway, wasn't a publicity stunt. in fact, we had an agreement with bill earlier, and now all the sudden its not good enough.
'You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.'

Oscar Wylde
pack3tg0st

Postby Access Denied » Sun May 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, I doubt it has as much to do with WITD as it does his ego…

He already knows everybody with half a brain knows it was an inside job… if he actually cared what people think he would just admit it was a stupid hoax to try and fool their membership into believing ATS is more important than they really are and move on.

Most there would forgive them if they haven’t already…

What I think is disgusting is he knows the tin foil hat crowd is easy to manipulate and capitalize on… all you have to do is tell them what they want to hear as if you’re actually on their side and you’ll be able to get away with just about anything.

Sad…

Anyway, good luck with your investigation and getting the 900 pound gorilla of your back… let us know if there’s anything we can do to help.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby pack3tg0st » Sun May 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Cool! thanks AD!

The threads you guys have in here have been a huge help in almost all my ATS research... they always pointed me in the direction of more information :P

thus, why I've been a member since october, when my research started... but hadn't posted until fingered by bill...

sounds dirty... doesn't it?

Oscar Wylde
pack3tg0st

Postby ryguy » Mon May 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Don't let em' scare ya. Their bark is far louder than their bite - and the site itself doesn't measure up to the hype. I'm starting to prefer the smaller independent blogs and forums that cover the paranormal topic with expertise and intelligence, rather than the McDonald's mass-consumer junk-food sites like ATS has become.

If Bill asks you for your address where they can send the legal documents, just give them mine. I've got a standard form-letter prepared as a response. Okay...it's only two words and I can't post them in here.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby pack3tg0st » Wed May 20, 2009 6:16 am

LOL thanks Ryguy!

I think we've got him backed down (for now)... we did however see our little spat had him changing his T&C :P

Anyway... I think we're good now...

He might just be sweating our pending FOIA request into the FBI papers from the WITD episode...

I dunno... something's got him all riled up...

Oscar Wylde
pack3tg0st

Postby ryguy » Wed May 20, 2009 5:43 pm

pack3tg0st wrote:I dunno... something's got him all riled up...

Don't worry, it's not just you guys - they came after us for my negative comments about ATS traffic in the other thread. Looks like there's either some sort of publicity stunt going on, or Bill's just having PMS this month.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to ATS Watch