Security issues + passwords at ATS

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

Security issues + passwords at ATS

Postby m0r1arty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Just to make sure it's recorded ATS recently changed all passwords for members and, as per the usual, have hidden all notice of it from their boards. Here is an example of a thread discussing it but the official thread, as linked to by GreenEyedLeo, has vanished into a 404 style.

Seems, in a way similar to the stealth banning of 2010, that all passwords were reset and Bill (SkepticOverlord) was up till the wee hours rectifying it.

Not sure how or why it all occurred - but making sure it gets logged externally to ATS.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Re: Security issues + passwords at ATS

Postby m0r1arty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 am

Seems it was quite a serious breach, gets it's own thread and everything.

I haven't been informed by email, as is stated by Bill, but am curious as to what information has been posted in these 'publicly accessible websites' and indeed - where they are.

It would seem they are up for being contacted via phone or form so it appears they are taking this very seriously.

General advise to keep an eye on accounts which used the linked to email or similar passwords ahoy!

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby the|exx » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:28 pm

The passwords etc were posted on a site such as MegaUpload in a zip file. Said file was killed. My account was hit by the hack. Took all of a minute to fix it.

IRM ;)
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info IRM.

It appears stealth banning, censorship and account details being accessed has put them into some fairly tumultuous waters legally. Perhaps their secret alien friends will come in to bail them out or provide a background reference for them.

I'm sitting on the sidelines here and seeing how fair they'll play.

Still read the threads there, under my stealth-banned - and only - account. Man alive I'd rip a new arsehole into a few of those bucket-heads regarding decorum.

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:56 pm

hi guys.

what happened ?. someone hack them or was this of their own doing?.

all the threads are 404 so cant read up on it.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 pm

That is indeed odd Rich as they are still working for me...Here is a copy of what was stated, by whom and when as I linked to in my second post of this thread.

Important Customer Service Notification

SkepticOverlord: posted on 10/2/2012 @ 20:50

AboveTopSecret.com recently discovered that the user names, encrypted passwords, and email addresses of a small percentage of users who used the ATS Media Portal were obtained by hackers. Where we have learned that this information is posted on publicly accessible websites, we are taking all reasonable steps to request removal of such information.

If you were affected, you received a notification when you logged into the website (your password no longer was valid). If you did not receive a notification when you logged in, you were not affected by this incident. Please note that ATS never requests or stores your name or financially sensitive information. In addition, ATS automatically changed the passwords belonging to affected users immediately upon discovering the incident. These users’ passwords no longer were operational, and they were required to use our password recovery system to generate a new random password to log in. If you were not prompted to change your password when you logged in, you were not affected by this incident. For your additional security, the ATS Media Portal has been taken offline temporarily.

In light of this incident, as well as incidents that may have affected other websites, please take basic precautions if you receive suspicious email. ATS does not email any ATS users who have not opted into our newsletter service. An email claiming to be from us asking for anything is fake. And in general, if you get an email that asks for personal or financial information, or a user name and password from any source, you should never reply. To be clear, under no circumstances will any legitimate ATS representative ever ask you to disclose your password, nor will an ATS representative send you any emails requesting anything. Your password for any website should be strong, which means passwords should be at least 8 digits or longer and include upper and lower case letters and numbers.

The Federal Trade Commission has published additional tips on how to protect yourself from fraudulent online activities at its website OnGuard Online:

www.onguardonline.gov...

We are informing you of this incident because we value our relationships with our users and wish to provide you with information at all times that may affect you in any way. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this incident may cause you. Although it is impossible to ensure that a data breach will not happen, we take your privacy very seriously and will continue to use reasonable and appropriate security to protect the information that you provide to us. We thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this incident, please contact us toll-free at 1-877-417-2204 or email us using our contact form.

edit on 10-2-2012 by SkepticOverlord because: (removed link)[i]

Which was followed by a brief addition:

[i]SkepticOverlord: posted on 11/2/2012 @ 04:46

And email has been sent to all addresses affected by this incident.

The threads asking about the problems with the passwords have, of course, all been deleted.

Hope this is of some assistance to you (If you ever used to old ATS portal your account name, email, DOB and password etc. may be compromised).

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 am

ok, thanks m0r.

looks like they upset someone with a bit of skill.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:58 am

That's true - eventually people are going to punch the bully back.
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to ATS Watch