The Watchers Don't Like Anonymity...

Any discussion related to ATS goes here

The Watchers Don't Like Anonymity...

Postby Jocko Flocko » Sun May 13, 2012 7:45 am

Just thought I would post this as I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. The topic was about the anonymity application "Tor". It's basically a service that offers free anonymous web browsing and stops prying eyes from knowing your location or IP address, especially snoopy moderators or web sites that might have an agenda like data mining, may not like you, etc... This would come in handy when getting "silently banned" from ATS.

https://www.torproject.org/

The thread has currently been closed for "review". I guess the mods have to clear it with upper management whether or not they want to allow people to learn how to stop prying eyes from knowing who you are, where you live, what adverts to send your way and what to do with the data they obviously are mining.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread839658/pg1

I'll post screenshots of the thread if it changes or they try and hide the fact.
Jocko Flocko

Re: The Watchers Don't Like Anonymity...

Postby m0r1arty » Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

They just want to generate ad revenue from their user generated content.

They are, simply put, thieves.

And liars but that's a different thread.

I like the fact that they use tapatalk here - useful for being on the move.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Jocko Flocko » Mon May 14, 2012 1:31 am

The advert banners and pop ups while browsing ATS using Internet Explorer are absolutely outrageous if you aren't logged in as a user, it was especially bad about 4 months ago. I even caught one company via a malicious pop-up window that was based in Russia and has now been shut down, trying to upload a .dll file into my C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Temp directory. It attempted to change my registry via a javascript exploit, switch off automatic updates, disable my virus software and add itself to Windows 7 startup applications through rundll. It then attmepted to call home back to an IP address based in Russia and upload sensitive information like passwords. Luckily I was using NOD32 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that caught the activity and instantly shut it down. I learned about what it was *trying* to do on the Malwarebytes forum. Perhaps ATS wasn't even aware what some of their advert banners were doing, who knows...

I pity anyone visiting that website who isn't using Firefox with the AdBlock and NoScript plugins along with a good virus application.
Jocko Flocko

Postby Tim Hebert » Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Jocko Flocko wrote:I pity anyone visiting that website who isn't using Firefox with the AdBlock and NoScript plugins along with a good virus application.

Good point! I usually have a few Russian hits on my blog site. I opened one traffic address out of curiosity and the site attempted to infiltrate my computer. Luckily, I do have a good security system installed and it isolated the viruses with no problems. I now stay away from the Russian sites and would advise the same for others. (unless one knows that the site in question is credible and reliable.)

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Jocko Flocko » Fri May 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Looks like the thread was finally deleted. I guess it wasn't enough to just lock the thread but instead they had to BE SURE nobody was able to view it EVER again :lol: I guess a website such as ATS who mines the data of it's user base for advert traffic and other privacy infringements, must thoroughly make sure to cover any evidence of such practices.
Jocko Flocko

Google

Return to ATS Watch