Native American Camp Site discovered! (North Texas)

Ancient History, Lost Civilizations and related topics

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Native American Camp Site discovered! (North Texas)

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:45 am

Based on the idea that natural Springs would be ideal Campsites for Native Americans and Paleolithic peoples I suggested to a Friend that we should
look around a natural Spring I knew of that existed on my Families Property.

We didn't really expect to find anything there but a cursory examination of the neighboring Property yielded a broken point in less than an hour!

We've found several grinding stones, several different types of points, and many small stone 'multi-tools' that I find very interesting.

Cheers,

Lost_shaman
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:28 am

Cool. Have you thought about contacting a (cultural?) anthropologist? They might be able to tell you who they were and when they were there. If not then perhaps you’ve made an important new discovery and congratulations are in order. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:25 am

Thats something I learned here in the UK years ago.
I enjoy Metal Detecting and have discovered 3 previously unknown Roman Villas by finding natural springs and looking firstly in them then around them.
The Romans and others made Votive offerings to the Gods by placing them in stream and rivers.
Also look for any high ground or levelled out slopes close to Rivers and springs. Look for 'Pot Boiler' stones which is another give away.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:19 pm

lost_shaman...congrats on the discovery of a Native American site... You probably should take AD's advice, if a professional conducts a careful dig of the site - they could uncover museum quality artifacts... you never know?

And as a side note...I've heard museums pay decent money for such artifacts. That might provide a little bit of incentive to contact someone? lol

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 pm

I hope to post photo's of some of the artifacts soon.

One new interesting find recently made was a small hand rounded stone. It doesn't have any holes in it so it wasn't a bead, but it looks just like a marble kids would play with. Very interesting.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:27 pm

Access Denied wrote:Cool. Have you thought about contacting a (cultural?) anthropologist? They might be able to tell you who they were and when they were there. If not then perhaps you’ve made an important new discovery and congratulations are in order. :)

I have thought about contacting someone who could roughly date some of these artifacts. That being said I don't know who I should talk to and am open to any suggestions.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 am

You dont have museums with Native artifact experts there?

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:29 pm

LS, check out this guy's web site...

http://www.texasarrowheads.com/about-me.html

He sounds like he knows a lot about it and he's looking to buy.

Here's what the law says...

Antiquities Code of Texas
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/rulesregs/Ru ... iqCode.pdf

See also...

Southern Texas Archaeological Association
http://www.staa.org/
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Re: Native American Camp Site discovered! (North Texas)

Postby lost_shaman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 am

Just an update.

To-date the surface site has produced a large number of expedient knives from flakes of all sorts of material, dozens and dozens of lithic tools, at least 30 individual manos roughly half of which have been recovered intact although presenting 'plow marks', around 30+ 'bird point' projectile points, handfuls of old pottery shards representing different types of pottery, and 2 hand rolled fired clay marbles that may have come from an old Homestead that apparently was present at one time on top of or adjacent to the surface site.

The surface site yielding artifacts is quit small in area, such is sometimes the case (?) with agricultural associated disturbance/erosion. As I pointed out above, only a handful of trips to the surface site have failed to produce artifacts! The majority of artifacts seem to be analogous to the artifacts from the Harrell site although in this case we are strictly talking about a surface collection of an active agriculturally disturbed stratigraphic chronology.

This site discusses the Harrell site. Many of the artifacts we are finding are analogous with the artifacts from the Harrell site.
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/harre ... facts.html
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby mojo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:38 am

Well done LS, here's some of my collection of aboriginal flints, knives and spear points, ive also got a nice collection of sculptures, paintings, didgeridoo's, woomera's and boomerangs but there all in storage for safe keeping.
Not sure what sort of country you have around you but shallow caves and depressions near water sources are also good locations to search.
Most of my collection is also from a family property, in the Northern Territory and from fossicking around near dried creek beds and rivers and overhanging rocks nearby.

I need to photograph the rest of my stuff for insurance at some stage so if your interested i'll post them as well
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Neat stuff guys… I’ve never been able to find anything like that. I must be looking in the wrong places. :)

Anyway, not sure why LS started this thread in the Latrine so I moved to it here…
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Access Denied wrote:Neat stuff guys… I’ve never been able to find anything like that. I must be looking in the wrong places. :)

Anyway, not sure why LS started this thread in the Latrine so I moved to it here…

Probably should have been posted in the Reality forum, where some archaeological and historical based threads are posted. I deliberately choose not to post in the Chit Chat Forum where threads like "Happy Fourth of July", etc, are posted. Unfortunately, RU does yet have a dedicated Archaeology Forum. :|
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:17 pm

mojo wrote:Well done LS, here's some of my collection of aboriginal flints, knives and spear points, ive also got a nice collection of sculptures, paintings, didgeridoo's, woomera's and boomerangs but there all in storage for safe keeping.
Not sure what sort of country you have around you but shallow caves and depressions near water sources are also good locations to search.
Most of my collection is also from a family property, in the Northern Territory and from fossicking around near dried creek beds and rivers and overhanging rocks nearby.

Hey mojo,

Thanks! I just love looking at all these artifacts, and nothing is more rewarding than to say to yourself "this looks like a good spot" and then walking out and reaching down to the ground and picking up a piece of stone that another person actually used once hundreds or even thousands of years ago as a tool!

What amazes me is that if a person stopped at the local museum they might see a Mammoth skull and a few artifacts and a few arrow and spear points and that's about it. It's all meant to look good, but it doesn't represent the history of this area. Some entire cultures might only be represented by one or two projectile points or artifacts!

What is sad is that there are likely hundreds of thousands of artifacts that have been donated to the local museum, yet these artifacts not on display are 'Off limits' and no-one can see them. [-X

At least people like you and I can discover and discuss what we find openly with eachother.

mojo wrote:I need to photograph the rest of my stuff for insurance at some stage so if your interested i'll post them as well

Please do.

I will also take some pictures of the artifacts I personally have on hand even though the camera I have is a piece of crap and won't take decent pictures.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby mojo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:01 am

lost_shaman wrote:
What is sad is that there are likely hundreds of thousands of artifacts that have been donated to the local museum, yet these artifacts not on display are 'Off limits' and no-one can see them.

That is a real concern imo, there is so much "stuff" boxed and stored in back rooms in museums all around the world that might never see the light of day. Unfortunately funding for most museums and archaeological departments is so limited they have very little room to manouver. It's not a "popular" area of research anymore in comparison to some others...sigh...
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 pm

It is a VERY big problem here in the UK. Several years ago some people from one of the Metal Detecting magazine, visited several UK Museums asking to see items that were catalogued by them yet not on display. In 2 out of the 3 museums visited the artifacts could not be found, in one case it was several highly valuable gold Roman Coins that had gone missing.
Since the old Treaure Trove laws were replaced by the acursed Treasure Act so much stuff has been handed in to Museums that one Museum curator actually said he would be unable to catalogue the stuff 'in his lifetime' so whats the point of detectorists handing stuff in for it to be either stolen, missplaced or just left to rot?

With respect to discovering the American Camp site I remember my glee when I finally discovered a previously unknown Roman Villa, complete with partial Mosaic floor. I used to do a lot of metal detecting and had been finding lots of Samian Pottery, pot boiler stones and the odd coin. After a natter with the farmer I marked out an area on the field and he took about a foot of earth off it. This revealed lots of Tessera and also a lot of Hypocaust and also roof tiles. It also revealed a lot of Roman Brooches a beautifull Silver ring and to top the lot 2 coins of Cunobelin, both with only 1 other example ever found.
All the time I was findidng this stuff I was telling the museum 'Its a Villa, Its a Villa' but they just denied it all the time saying it was probably just a transit camp. My response was that Roman Transit Camps didnt build central heating systems with loads of Hypocaust tiles.
2 Gold rings and a Geophysics survey (paid for by me) later and they decided to take a peek. I showed them the center of the Tessara scatter and they went down smack dab onto the Mosaic floor. The site is still being excavated but it was immediately 'Scheduled' so no one else could touch it.
I was quite annoyed as It was I that had found it. Thats life I spose.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Next

Google

Return to Archaeology & Paleontology