Andean Punks on Dope [or Antidepressants]

Ancient History, Lost Civilizations and related topics

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Andeans traded far and wide for Anti-depressants!

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:58 am

Access Denied wrote:Ah OK now I get it… do you think that means maybe it can’t be detected that far back?

I think it should be detectable if it was being used as a hallucinogen. The harmine was detectable and as far as I know there isn't any reason to take any more than between 140 and 200 mg of Harmine or less, and DMT threshold doses taken orally with an MAOI should range around the 35-40 and 70 mg range. So I don't see any reason why Harmine would be detectable in hair samples while DMT, both taken together, would be undetectable in the same hair samples.

One interpretation of the evidence that I can think of would be that DMT was likely used in this population via snuffing and B. Cappi was also in use and widely traded as a prized trade good, but this population may simply not have used B. Cappi in association with DMT at that time. In other words this population likely knew people who snuffed DMT, but they traded widely for B. Cappi even though it wasn't used in association with DMT.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Andean Punks on Dope [or Antidepressants]

Postby mavn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:47 am

Just a thought - Didn't these people drug their sacrifice victims first (children included)? If so, were these hallucinogins or anti-depressants or does it matter?
mavn
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Re: Andean Punks on Dope [or Antidepressants]

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:16 am

mavn wrote:Just a thought - Didn't these people drug their sacrifice victims first (children included)? If so, were these hallucinogins or anti-depressants or does it matter?

It depends,... who/or what Culture you are talking about?

Of the 32 individuals discussed in the paper, I don't believe any were described as "sacrifice victims".

"Does it matter?",... Yes, It does... Apparently enthenogens like B. Cappi were widely known and traded over hundreds of miles thousands of years ago for appearent use that did not involve the use of DMT. That is very interesting if you ask me.

l_s
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Previous

Google

Return to Archaeology & Paleontology