The Wacky 2012 Countdown Thread

Ancient History, Lost Civilizations and related topics

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

The Wacky 2012 Countdown Thread

Postby Luck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Since I can take a hint (tick,tock)....

I am starting this to document the goofiness that is bound to arise as we lurch ever closer to.... 2012! (GASP!)

Any attempts to turn this into a thread screaming about Armageddon will be seriously frowned upon by this forum lackey and will be brought to the attention of management. (all apologies to Rich England)

So as my first post I present to you:
The Doomsday 2012 Countdown Widget!
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-edge-mayan-doomsday-calendar,0,1683565.flash

Enjoy and feel free to add to ensuing kookiness! Let the games begin!
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Re: The Wacky 2012 Countdown Thread

Postby Luck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 pm

And then I found this....
George Lucas suggests world will end in 2012
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/features/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155958308

Oh my....
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby m0r1arty » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm

There was that film with that guy who can't act and really likes Superman comics in it.

I can't remember the title of it though...

Anyways, to start of the merriment from myself, here is how it should have ended:

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:37 pm

well this one isn't exactly 2012 but its still an end of world story from the past:
2) Carlos Roa
Goalkeeper are odd fish at the best of times but Roa marked himself out from the crowd very early on due to a strict vegetarian diet, which earned him the nickname Lechuga (that's Spanish for 'lettuce'). The Argentinian distinguished himself at the 1998 World Cup, famously saving penalties from Paul Ince and David Batty in the shoot-out win over England, but with a move to Manchester United and Arsenal strongly rumoured, the 30-year-old decided his salad days were over. He became a Seventh Day Adventist, refusing to sign for any club as he believed the world was coming to an end. When it turned out that it wasn't, Roa returned to Real Mallorca, where he was welcomed with open arms by team-mates, largely because they could now say to him, "Lettuce pray"...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 70207.html

thanks

rich

ps) hope they get that god damn x files third movie out by december 21st 2012 so i can get some closure on it before i die!. 8)
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 pm

CHILAM BALAM LIKES THIS THREAD.....
Attachments
fig45.jpg
fig45.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Luck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 am

Posting a couple of links regarding miscalcuation:

The World Will Not End in 2012, Miscalculation in Mayan Calendarhttp://socyberty.com/future/the-world-will-not-end-in-2012-miscalculation-in-mayan-calendar/#ixzz1CCCk1n00
Fuis Andreas, a German researcher found that the correspondence of the Western calendar with the Maya is miscalculated. We have always believed that the Mayan calendar begins on 11 August 3114 BC, but after studying the tables showing the position of Venus in the sky finds a mistake of 208 years.

Really, you mean I am going to have to wait another 208 years? Can I get a refund?

End of the Earth Postponedhttp://www.livescience.com/culture/mayan-apocalypse-miscalculated-calendar-101018.html
It's a good news/bad news situation for believers in the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. The good news is that the Mayan "Long Count" calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012 (and, by extension, the world may not end along with it). The bad news for prophecy believers? If the calendar doesn't end in December 2012, no one knows when it actually will — or if it has already.
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 am

Luck wrote:George Lucas suggests world will end in 2012
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/features/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155958308

George Lucas Dispels Wild 2012 Apocalypse Rumor
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/01/ ... ucas-2012/

Star Wars creator George Lucas was just kidding when he chatted with Seth Rogen about the Mayan prophecy of an apocalypse in 2012.

Sure he was...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jo ... stal_Skull

Lucas convinced Spielberg to use aliens in the plot by saying they were not "extraterrestrials", but "interdimensional", with this concept taking inspiration in the superstring theory.[12] Spielberg and Lucas discussed the central idea of a B-movie involving aliens, and Lucas suggested using the crystal skulls to ground the idea. Lucas found those artifacts as fascinating as the Ark of the Covenant,[39] and had intended to feature them for a Young Indiana Jones episode before the show's cancellation.[11]

Woo woo...

[went the Lucas train as it left the station with that awful movie]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Luck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:48 pm

DON'T PANIC! Betelgeuse Won't Explode in 2012
(and even if it did, it is too far away to cause any harm...)

Betelgeuse is a celebrity amongst stars and no stranger to astronomers' zoom lenses. And like any celebrity, news can break at any time, for any reason, and today I received a surge of messages via Twitter and email pointing me to a big Betelgeuse scoop that can be summarized as: The star is gonna blow! Soon! Possibly around 2012!

Naturally, I checked out the source of this breaking story to find... well, not much.

On reading a few sentences from the Australian News.com.au article, one would think the journalist had found the story of the decade. NEWS FLASH: An exploding Betelgeuse is one of the most over-used sensationalist stellar events to appear in the tabloid press in recent years. There's no scoop here, move along.

http://news.discovery.com/space/dont-panic-betelgeuse-wont-explode-in-2012.html

Upside, when Betelgeuse does go, we could all have front seats to one heck of a galactic show!

edit: fixed url
Last edited by Luck on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby m0r1arty » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey Luck, fancy putting one of em' fancy urls into your tags there.

Me and ma pig can't seem to be able to click on nothing and his trotters are much bigger than ma hands so he's got the better chance.

I tried getting one of them Russian brides I have in ma cellar to do it but she ran off and got shot.

Thanks in advance.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:51 pm

m0r1arty wrote:Hey Luck, fancy putting one of em' fancy urls into your tags there.

Me and ma pig can't seem to be able to click on nothing and his trotters are much bigger than ma hands so he's got the better chance.

I tried getting one of them Russian brides I have in ma cellar to do it but she ran off and got shot.

Thanks in advance.

-m0r

Yeah, I guess that is what I get for posting something before I am fully caffeinated. Of course, with your comments, you aren't helping me any when the liquid comes shooting back out nose. :lol:

Sorry to hear the Russian bride thingie isn't panning out. I am surprised you didn't stay closer to home; a lot closer.

Cheers,
Luck

edit: oh, and I have fixed the link above too!
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 am

Unfortunately the Apocalypse isn't going to be all fun and games. In South Africa, a police officer was recently murdered by a french couple reputed to be members of The Ramtha School of Enlightenment.
According to web reports, Ramtha’s teachings involve discussions about the “end times” - including the Mayan prediction that the world will end in 2012.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/couple-part-of-doomsday-group-1.1013109
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Access Denied wrote:Woo woo...

[went the Lucas train as it left the station with that awful movie]

Chaa Creek Invites George Lucas and Seth Rogen to 2012 Celebrations
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/01/25/prweb8088119.DTL#ixzz1CKvGUCIG

The Lodge at Chaa Creek, Belize's eco resort in the Heartland of the Maya, has invited filmmaker George Lucas to take part in their 2012 - Maya Perspectives lecture series and grand celebrations planned for the 2012 Winter Solstice on December 21, 2012.

...."And Seth Rogen? He'd obviously be a great addition to any party."

I have to wonder why they even bothered inviting Lucas, especially after the last Indiana Jones flick.
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 am

Doomsday Destination?

Some French and international Web sites devoted to the apocalypse claim that the mountain of Bugarach is a sacred place that will protect them from the end of the world. Some even believe that, on doomsday, they will be spirited away by a group of aliens who live under the mountain. The date in question is when a 5,125-year cycle in the Mayan calendar supposedly comes to a close.

A local innkeeper, Sigrid Benard, who offers rooms only in the summer, said she had received numerous calls from people wishing to reserve rooms and mobile homes from the beginning of December 2012 to the end of January.

“People know I’m closed in the winter,” Mrs. Benard said. “But those people said they wanted to come three weeks before the apocalypse and book the week afterward to see what happens.”

There is even a group of people who think that aliens live under the mountain and will come out to save the humans in the area. Hmmmm......

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/world/europe/31bugarach.html?src=twrhp
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:52 am

dont forget, anyone with a spare $80,000 can buy themselves a lovely russian tin foil doomsday capsule that is resistant to most natural disasters like lava, earth quakes etc, and can house up to 4 people for 40 days!, that may just be long enough to avoid meeting the 4 horsemen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfNCjGza9PM

thanks

rich
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Luck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:14 am

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:dont forget, anyone with a spare $80,000 can buy themselves a lovely russian tin foil doomsday capsule that is resistant to most natural disasters like lava, earth quakes etc, and can house up to 4 people for 40 days!, that may just be long enough to avoid meeting the 4 horsemen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfNCjGza9PM

thanks

rich

yep, there will be no lack of material for this thread.... :lol:
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Next

Google

Return to Archaeology & Paleontology