The Wacky 2012 Countdown Thread

Ancient History, Lost Civilizations and related topics

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: The Wacky 2012 Countdown Thread

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:15 am

Luck wrote:Considering that one of the "beautiful people" ended up making an, um, "amateur video" with her then boyfriend, where is exactly do you draw the line between "beautiful people" and scumbag? I am just curious is all. 8)

As usual, good point, although one might argue the Devil made her do it... :twisted:

Luck wrote:edit: I forgot to add that I did get a huge chuckle out of the idea of TEOTWAWKI happening from a social disease. Hmmm.

Hey, it could happen… :mrgreen:
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Luck » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 pm

First time I have heard of Armageddon Fatigue...

Armageddon fatigue sets in as Americans constantly anticipate, well, Armageddon
The American press feeds off of bad news. There was Harold Camping's May 21st prediction that set Americans on edge for months before the predicted end of the world didn't happen (and Camping made 72 million off of it). Then there was Carmageddon, the shut down of the California 405, which turned out to be nothing much. There have been natural disasters, dead birds, dead fish, all supposedly precursors to Armageddon.

http://www.goddiscussion.com/70962/armageddon-fatigue-sets-in-as-americans-constantly-anticipate-well-armageddon/
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby philliman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Luck wrote:
philliman wrote:Latest addition to the 2012/Nibiru/Doomsday-madness. Beware of the deadly lense flare from space!

Oh wow. The lens flare wasn't even the best part. The best part was that he thought the shadow of nearby structure (maybe even of the camera itself) was the shadow of Nibiru. Two days later I am still thinking, "How can anyone be THAT stupid?" Oh wow.

LoL! Yes. Or that he thought that these guys in suits would point into the direction of Nibiru and that one of them wouldn't wear any suit at all although it's clearly visible. He was just standing in a shadow. And on and on. Quite disappointing to see that this vid is being promoted by Kevin Smith of the Kevin Smith Show.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Luck » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Access Denied wrote:Hey, it could happen… :mrgreen:

AD,
And I was just joking...

Scientists have found the first "superbug" strain of gonorrhea -- a discovery they're calling "both alarming and predictable."
Found in Japan, the H041 strain is resistant to the class of antibiotics, called cephalosporins, commonly used to treat the STD.
This could "transform a once easily treatable infection into a global public health threat," reports Reuters.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/gonorrhea-superbug-antibiotic-resistant_n_894538.html
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:01 am

OC Fisher Reservoir in Texas dries up from drought and the remaining water turns blood red. Even though the color is caused by bacteria, some idiot preacher is using this as a signal for the "end times."

End Times? Texas Lake Turns Blood-Red
OC Fisher, a reservoir in West Texas, turned blood-red in recent weeks — what's left of it anyway. Due to unrelenting drought in Texas, the lake has almost entirely dried up, leaving thousands of dead fish behind. As of the last week in July, when this photo was taken, bacteria had turned the stagnant dregs of the lake red.

...The drought has taken its toll on a number of reservoirs in West Texas, Cruz told LiveScience. OC Fisher has never been completely full, Cruz said, but it was stocked with catfish, bass, sunfish and other popular targets for fishermen.
Pictures of this blood-red pool circulated online in fishing forums and caught the notice of Indiana preacher Paul Begley, who said in a YouTube video that the lake might be evidence of the apocalypse as predicted by the Biblical book of Revelation.

http://www.livescience.com/15346-texas-lake-blood-red.html

More about the religious silliness here:
http://blog.chron.com/believeitornot/2011/08/texas-blood-red-lake-seen-as-sign-of-apocalypse/

edit: fixed a link
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 am

Interesting article:

Does Rapture have prophets - or just profiteering?
..."If the economy goes, that'll be fertile soil for the Antichrist to take power," said Todd Strandberg of Little Rock, Ark. "Hitler came out of the Depression. A lot of us believe the Antichrist will use the same steppingstone."

This means there are only so many days left to get rich. Strandberg, the proprietor of RaptureReady.com - the most popular Rapture-preparedness website in the world - is part of a new generation of entrepreneurs trying to take advantage of Camping's absence. Unlike Camping, the new apocalypse establishment is offering an unprecedented array of doomsday-themed literature, podcasts, survival kits, and other goods and services for navigating the end of times.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/07/31/BU111KGDD7.DTL#ixzz1TpHDpiFr
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 am

Today has been a busy day for news of the apocalypse.

Apparently there is a bunch of wackiness surrounding Elenin that I was not aware of.

New doomsday date! Comet will bring the end on October 16! (NASA is unconvinced)
Comet Elenin is hurtling toward Earth — and will usher in the end of the world on October 16, say astronomy observers.
October 16 is pretty darn close to the Rev. Harold Camping’s revised doomsday prediction. If you recall, this spring his followers plastered the U.S. with billboards while he thundered warning from his California radio network. The world didn’t end, so he reset it for this fall.
October 16 is also suspiciously close to the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012 … well, OK, a year off. But that’s pretty close, eh?

My favorite part is here:
Presently the comet is a faint smudge of light in deep sky exposures. By late August comet Elenin should be visible to the naked eye as a dim “fuzzy star” with a tail. Over a few weeks the visitor will speed across the spring constellation Virgo and toward Leo on its outbound leg.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2011/08/new-doomsday-date-comet-will-bring-the-end-on-october-16-nasa-is-unconvinced.php#ixzz1TpInkVDc
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:47 am

There are moments when I miss the '80's. This is one of them.

found here:
http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:02 am

some more super swingin' sounds for TEOTWAWKI

Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 am

I saw in another thread that Zep has intimated that his life as a bachelor will be meeting its own personal Armageddon due to impending nuptials scheduled to occur later this month. Congratulations and I hope all goes well and good on your big day.

Zep, I hope you'll forgive me for the silly doomsday reference. :)

1,873 is not the number of Thank You notes that Zep and spouse will have to write.
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Smersh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Oh my, there really is no hope at all for the internet woos is there? The following has been posted on Youtube. I won't bother to embed the video but just look at the comments. And this is just the first page as I write:

Nibiru? is elenin just a cover up?
MrTylerofthejungle 1 day ago

@MrTylerofthejungle very possible.
Suspicious0bservers 1 day ago

@Suspicious0bservers Do you believe this "comet" has been a reason for having the Big earthquakes that we have seen recently?

Data shows everytime we have aligned with this "comet" we have had a earthquake.. a comet doesnt have the mass to produce a gravitational pull like that right?
MrTylerofthejungle 18 hours ago

@MrTylerofthejungle a comet wouldnt have the mass... but if its the right type of metal, and it is spinning, it is a giant magnet flying through our solar system... magnetism effects our planet more than anyone realizes. Then again... maybe nibiru is right behind it and DOES have the mass to do something. You have about 6 weeks of waiting my friend. 12 at the most... answers are coming.
Suspicious0bservers 17 hours ago

Its going to speed up as it nears the sun..just because they change calculation doesn't mean anything..except that they needed to change their calculations..this is going to happen to all 4 comets as they get closer...expect it and if you don't trust nasa..stop trusting the jpl
Serpentium7 1 day ago

@Serpentium7 without the JPL, we would have never discovered the 7 great elenin coincidences. JPL is our warning bell... but the comet elenin itself is still a mystery... we doubt its the dangerous event on the horizon.
Suspicious0bservers 1 day ago
Top Comments

Mm Mm Mm This is not good.
Mr2tuff 1 day ago 4

closer... which isn't necessarily bad, considering that it is supposed to go in front of us... let's get that thing in and out as fast as possible. ahead of schedule is a good thing except that it demonstrates nasa's incompetence :)
Suspicious0bservers 2 days ago 4
see all
All Comments (59)
Sign In or Sign Up now to post a comment!

@pogiguy05 consider the fake actor Leonid only discovered this months ago, yet NASA JPL is able to depict the comet´s path back for many years. Everyone overcome your normalcy bias.
mrstarfighter 2 hours ago

@Suspicious0bservers i doubt it too
Serpentium7 13 hours ago

@2late4me2care You will see a Hologram in conjunction with HAARP and other unknown technology to mankind. They are smarter than you think, take care.

TheEagle597 14 hours ago

@TheEagle597 If Elenin doesn't exist, then what is headed for us? Nibiru?
2late4me2care 14 hours ago

@2late4me2care You will see near future, Comet ELEnin does not exist, False Flag for ELE. Look around and you shall see.
TheEagle597 14 hours ago

@TheEagle597 false flag for what? You have my attention now.
2late4me2care 19 hours ago ...

Not only that but it's had over 4,000 views since Aug 3rd ... :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_eHDUg ... r_embedded
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:07 am

Heh, thanks Luck :)

@smersh, that's just insane, it really is.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Smersh » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:34 am

Congrats on your forthcoming tying of the knot Steve. :)

Zep Tepi wrote:@smersh, that's just insane, it really is.

Absolutely. For example: "a comet wouldn't have the mass... but if its the right type of metal, and it is spinning, it is a giant magnet flying through our solar system... magnetism effects our planet more than anyone realizes. Then again... maybe nibiru is right behind it and DOES have the mass to do something ..." :shock: :lol:

Here's something else that isn't going to help matters. CNN now has a section called "CNN IReport" where anybody can write articles, and it looks like anybody does as well. Check this out: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-640370

All pseudo-scientific nonsense about "Elenin causing earthquakes" written by a contributor called "OpenThineEye." Just because it's on CNN of course, the woo-woo sites are having multiple orgasms over it, but have either failed to notice, or conveniently choose to ignore the following disclaimer:

Welcome to iReport, where people take part in the news with CNN. Your voice, together with other iReporters, helps shape how and what CNN covers every day.

So you know: iReport is the way people like you report the news. The stories in this section are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only ones marked 'CNN iReport' have been vetted by CNN.

(I put the underline in.)

Happily though there is an FAQ by astronomer Ian Musgrave about Comet Elenin, in which he addresses all the points by the doomsayers here: http://www.universetoday.com/87619/worr ... -musgrave/

He also wrote an article specifically explaining why Elenin does not cause earthquakes here: http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... uakes.html
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Luck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:54 am

Not quite the apocalypse, but...

Getting Ready for the Next Big Solar Storm
June 21, 2011: In Sept. 1859, on the eve of a below-average1 solar cycle, the sun unleashed one of the most powerful storms in centuries. The underlying flare was so unusual, researchers still aren't sure how to categorize it. The blast peppered Earth with the most energetic protons in half-a-millennium, induced electrical currents that set telegraph offices on fire, and sparked Northern Lights over Cuba and Hawaii.
This week, officials have gathered at the National Press Club in Washington DC to ask themselves a simple question: What if it happens again?
...In 2011 the situation would be more serious. An avalanche of blackouts carried across continents by long-distance power lines could last for weeks to months as engineers struggle to repair damaged transformers. Planes and ships couldn’t trust GPS units for navigation. Banking and financial networks might go offline, disrupting commerce in a way unique to the Information Age. According to a 2008 report from the National Academy of Sciences, a century-class solar storm could have the economic impact of 20 hurricane Katrinas.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/22jun_swef2011/

Even more surprising that this is from NASA.

Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Luck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:14 pm

There may come a time when I regret mentioning Snooki and the Situation on this forum, but I will not be the last to link "Jersey Shore" with the coming Apocalypse.

Signs of the Apocalypse: 'Jersey Shore' cast rings the Opening Bell at NYSE
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/27/jersey-shore-nyse-bell/

The Apocalypse Is Nigh: UK Version of ‘Jersey Shore’ a Massive Hit
http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/05/25/the-apocalypse-is-nigh-uk-version-of-jersey-shore-a-massive-hit/

'Jersey Shore' Star Snooki Warns of Looming Economic Apocalypse
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/jersey-shore-star-snooki-warns-looming-economic-apocalypse-30062

The latest sign of the coming apocalypse: Jersey Shore trumps candidates’ debate
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011/08/12/the-latest-sign-of-the-coming-apocalypse-jersey-shore-trumps-candidates-debate/

'Jersey Shore' premiere in Italy gives us 10 signs of the apocalypse
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/08/09/2135275/jersey-shore-premiere-in-italy.html#ixzz1VKKoxpTR
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

PreviousNext

Google

Return to Archaeology & Paleontology