17 lost pyramids found by satellite

Ancient History, Lost Civilizations and related topics

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

17 lost pyramids found by satellite

Postby Illudium Q-36 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:07 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8535571/17-lost-pyramids-found-by-satellite.html

Scientists at the University of Alabama also found 3,000 ancient settlements using a new technique of infra-red imaging.

The astonishing results have been confirmed by archaeologists with picks and shovels, who have located two of the pyramids found from space.

"I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the 'aha' moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we'd found,' Dr Sarah Parcak told the BBC.

"I couldn't believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt."

The team analysed images from satellites orbiting 400 miles above the Earth, equipped with cameras so powerful they can pinpoint objects less than a yard in diameter.

Now this is certainly an interesting new find, not only 17 new pyramids but many, many more ancient settlements have been discovered by satellite data. It is clearly a testiment to new technology. And this I imagine is only the tip of the iceberg, there is bound to be more sites across the world that will have plenty to offer too.
I wonder if it is all intact and hasn't suffered from the archaelogical looting that has occured in the past. This is most definitely something to keep an eye on. Possibly one of the biggest finds in history.
I wonder id Hawass knew of this before he resigned.

Interestingly I saw an ad on the BBC tonight for a show on this very subject, I guess today the moratorium on the press was lifted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011pwms
The show airs next monday, hopefully it will be uploaded somewhere otherwise access to iplayer is required, I'll try and keep an update on the situation if I can.
It obstructs my view of Venus
Illudium Q-36

Re: 17 lost pyramids found by satellite

Postby Luck » Thu May 26, 2011 2:12 am

Illudium,
This is pretty cool. This technique has been around for a couple of years and has been used in South America, too.

NASA’s only archaeologist, Tom Sever once took a look at an infrared satellite image of a Mayan city in Guatemala. He was surprised to see that the vegetation showed up on the image much brighter than the vegetation did nearby, but away from the relics. Following gut instinct, he looked for other patches of similarly bright vegetation on other NASA maps.

Given my gift for narrative storytelling, it isn’t hard to imagine what happened next. Sever managed to find several other sites on the maps that had hitherto been ignored for archaeological consideration.

Sever’s hypothesis is that the limestone that the Mayan buildings were constructed from has leached in to the soil, subsequently altering the vegetation so that it appeared so on the satellite imagery. With this new method, archaeologists went on to discover several more Mayan cities.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/1291
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I saw the same ad for the show coming up on Monday and I can't wait to see it.
As you may guess from my screen name, I'm really "in to" all things ancient Egypt, so this is right up my street :)

Thanks for posting Illudium.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Illudium Q-36 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for the link Luck :)
That was an interesting read.

Funny how both articles make light hearted Indiana Jones references

No worries Zep, my wife saw something on the news andmentioned it to me then we saw the ad and put two and two together.
Unfortunately I can't watch the clips on the bbc link I provided, iplayer really annoys me.
It obstructs my view of Venus
Illudium Q-36

Postby Luck » Sat May 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Illudium Q-36 wrote:Thanks for the link Luck :)
That was an interesting read.

Funny how both articles make light hearted Indiana Jones references

No worries Zep, my wife saw something on the news andmentioned it to me then we saw the ad and put two and two together.
Unfortunately I can't watch the clips on the bbc link I provided, iplayer really annoys me.

I found another IJ reference for you.... :)

Giant archaeological trove found in Google Earth
Indiana Jones, put down your whip. To scour the globe for archaeological sites these days all you need is a desktop computer.

Almost two thousand potential archaeological sites in Saudi Arabia have been discovered from an office chair in Perth, Australia, thanks to high-resolution satellite images from Google Earth.

"I've never been to Saudi Arabia," says David Kennedy from the University of Western Australia, Australia. "It's not the easiest country to break into."

Instead Kennedy scanned 1240 square kilometres in Saudi Arabia using Google Earth. From their birds-eye view he found 1977 potential archaeological sites, including 1082 "pendants" - ancient tear-drop shaped tombs made of stone.

According to Kennedy, aerial photography of Saudi Arabia is not made available to most archaeologists, and it's difficult, if not impossible, to fly over the nation. "But, Google Earth can outflank them," he says.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/02/giant-archaeological-trove-fou.html

This is interesting because this guy used google earth, which means that anyone could do this....well, as long as you had google earth.
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby subdivisions » Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 am

Illudium,thanks for the post. It is amazing what they are finding nowadays. I think that this will be a validation of Robert Bauval's theory about the 3 Giza pyramids being an analog of the constellation of Orion/Osiris. An actual ground based representation of the night time sky. They are probably going to find new places or even cities that fill out this analog or possibly even other analogs. And with those places and temples, may come the proverbial keys to the kingdom. I hope. :wink:
There's a long road,...I've gotta stay in time with, YEAH!
I've got to keep on chasing that dream,...though I may never find it.
I'm always just behind it!
subdivisions

Postby Access Denied » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:43 am

subdivisions wrote:I think that this will be a validation of Robert Bauval's theory about the 3 Giza pyramids being an analog of the constellation of Orion/Osiris. An actual ground based representation of the night time sky.

What do you make of this?

Pyramid Marketing Schemes
http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?n ... cle&sid=14

Readers of The Orion Mystery are shown an aerial photograph of Giza paired with a picture of Orion's Belt. There is something wrong with these images, however. The picture of the pyramids is oriented with north at the bottom of the page. Orion's Belt, on the other hand, has north at the top. To make the pyramids match the sky, you have to turn Egypt upside down. In fact, all of the book's maps of Egypt are published upside down, with south at the top.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby subdivisions » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks AD, this was an interesting read. I enjoy E.C. Krupp tremendously.

The picture of the pyramids is oriented with north at the bottom of the page. Orion's Belt, on the other hand, has north at the top. To make the pyramids match the sky, you have to turn Egypt upside down. In fact, all of the book's maps of Egypt are published upside down, with south at the top.

What makes anyone think that the Egyptians were trying to orient their analog to a position in the sky? Could it have been layed out to show the constellation regardless of positions?

The authors also suggest that the Fourth Dynasty "Unfinished Pyramid" at Zawyet el-'Ayran, south of Giza, stands for Bellatrix, which is north of Orion's Belt. Saiph, on the south side of the Belt, is supposedly mapped in the pyramid of Djedefre at Abu Rawash, north of Giza. It's even more unsatisfying that Betelgeuse and Rigel, the two brightest stars in this part of the sky, have no pyramids

The Egyptians knew their country a lot better than Bawady and Trimble. What if they layed out "Orion" to take advantage of the natural features of the terrain. Pyramids and temples are labor intensive, so is grading a foundation. And worse, creating a foundation where one doesn't exist. Why triple your work koad, why triple the length of time to complete your project? What if there were other concerns that kept them from orienting it the way Bawady and Trimble says it should be? Besides, there are plenty of stars that were left out of Orion so they could get the image they want.

Badawy and Trimble picked a point, in February, and worked back to 2650 B.C. They then "They supported their interpretation with citations from Egyptian texts and showed that the shafts were neither air ducts nor astronomical sightlines." Okay, What documentation did they use again?

Rather, the two shafts, which break the surface at the same height above the Giza plateau, reflect the most probable function of the pyramid. It was the pharaoh's transcendental launch pad, and it propelled his soul into the sky. There he marshaled the forces of cosmic order and stabilized the universe, just as he had organized society and governed Egypt.

Okay, not air shafts or astronomical sightlines. That goes a long way to proving my point that the layout was more about fitting the location than fitting their dogma.
There's a long road,...I've gotta stay in time with, YEAH!
I've got to keep on chasing that dream,...though I may never find it.
I'm always just behind it!
subdivisions

Google

Return to Archaeology & Paleontology