Invisibility Cloak

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Invisibility Cloak

Postby Chorlton » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:20 am

They finally invent this NOW? I could have done with this 45 years ago, when, as a virgin teenager I dreamt of sneaking into girls bedrooms and peeking? (didnt every young boy ?)

Harry Potter invisibility cloak a step closer to reality

By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 7:01pm BST 16/10/2008

An invisibility cloak, like the one Harry Potter used to wander around Hogwarts unseen, may be a reality within five years, claim scientists.
# Chinese devise anti-invisibility cloak
# Harry Potter invisibility cloak 'within five years'
# Two invisibility cloak materials developed

Radical advances in optical technology mean that scientists may soon be able to direct light around an object "like water around a pebble" thus rendering it invisible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j ... oak116.xml
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: Invisibility Cloak

Postby Access Denied » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 pm

One step closer? Perhaps, unfortunately what that article fails to point out about optical metamaterials is they only work at one wavelength (e.g. color)… true cloaking across the entire visual spectrum would require huge advances in nanoscale engineering and other areas well beyond our reach anytime soon… if ever.

That said, metamaterials do have some potentially interesting uses such as rendering things “invisible” to a specific narrowband sensor like radar or night-vision… no doubt coming soon to a black project near you.

Another form of “cloaking” technology I’m sure you’ve heard of is “active camouflage” where you project what’s behind something in front of it but of course the problem is it only works in one direction… when what you’re trying to hide from is directly in front of you… and even then you’re still visible to sensors at other wavelengths.

No Romulan Bird of Prey… yet. :(
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Science & Technology