Porton Down Expansion ?

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Porton Down Expansion ?

Postby Chorlton » Fri May 21, 2010 7:55 am

On the way back from the hospital this morning I notice they are building a brand new, much larger and entirely new road onto the Porton Down weapons establishment complete with traffic lights etc.
Now thats rather weird as the site is actually closer to the main A303 Dual Carriageway than the smaller A343
Its also curious that the road is actually a Public road yet has been Gated?
Im going to dig into this a little more.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: Porton Down Expansion ?

Postby Chorlton » Fri May 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Well stranger and stranger. I took a blast down there this morning in the Cob. Got to the temporary traffic lights (the newly installed ones arent working yet) signalling a right turn into the newly expanded road with newly installed gates.. As I got closer some braindead jumps out in front and says I cant go down the road. I turns the engine off and says "why theres no road closure order been posted, its a public road and you dont have the authority to stop me". Private property" says he. I whip out an OS map and say "nope its on here as a public B road" Starts me engine up and moves forwards. He waves to his mate Mick who quickly drives a transit across the road. "Roads blocked matey" says O Malley. So I turn round, whip my camera out and take a pic then zoom off.
Im going to actually drive round to Porton next week and see whats going on in that end of the road. Lost of heli's coming from Boscombe Down next door to Porton last night too.
Ive got the scent. !!

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat May 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Interesting, could you post the pic?
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 am

Haha The pic, is a horrid blurred image of nothing. I had to snap it quick as O'malley was coming for me.
Ill be going back past it this week and will take a pic of the new road traffic lights and gate. Then I'm going round to the other end of the road and see whats happening up there. Someone said the gate may just be a security gate so they can seal the aree off if things go bad at Porton, OK but why the traffic lights? This road and junction is out in the middle of nowhere.
You can see the original road if you go to Porton Down on Google Maps and then move due south, you will see the original road.

On a separate annoying thing. having just had my hip cast removed this week I was full of the joys of spring so went for a blast in the Cob yesterday. Got home and getting out of the car I think Ive torn a cartilage or ligament in my Knee. Hurts like a bugger. Down to the Docs in the morning.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to Science & Technology