NASA

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

NASA

Postby mamamami » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 am

Give me some ideas on how NASA could generate more interest from the public for their missions? I think that it is absolutely horrible that Paris Hilton and her drunk buddies get much more news coverage than these unbelievable feats NASA and other space agencies continue to accomplish. How can we turn this around?
Last edited by Access Denied on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed spam
mamamami

Re: NASA

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:31 pm

mamamami wrote:Give me some ideas on how NASA could generate more interest from the public for their missions? I think that it is absolutely horrible that Paris Hilton and her drunk buddies get much more news coverage than these unbelievable feats NASA and other space agencies continue to accomplish. How can we turn this around?

Just follow the model of what the American people eat up: Faux drama. Such as:

American Astronaut: Lots of spoiled brats trying out to become America's next astronaut on the ISS because they believe they were meant to fly in space. (don't ask how we get them there...it involves Russians and the sponsors wouldn't like that!)

Big Brother in Space: Same premise but on the ISS. Of course, producers HAVE to make sure the personalities selected clash as much as possible. I can imagine the scenes where roommates hook up in zero-g would really bring in the viewers.

Jersey Orbit: Guidos and Guidettes getting their groove on, working out, drinking way too much, and generally espousing the "look at me" lifestyle... except they are safely off the planet, far from anywhere they could do any damage to normal people.

MTV's The Real Offworld: You are getting the picture, by now, I am sure!

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Ray, I’ve got Bolden’s publicist on the line… she wants to know if you’ll sign a contract to produce the first season with an option for two more?

[rofl]

Anyway, not sure why this is in the “Mind Control” forum… is the OP suggesting NASA should “manufacture” some interest?

If so, I doubt even the (faux) discovery of ET life could turn things around…

That said, I would like to see Paris strapped to “The Stick” (Ares I) in her perfectly fit color-coordinated space suit. The look on her face as they light that candle and she throws up in her diamond-studded helmet? Priceless.

[on the Hilton heiress’s way to Bigelow’s orbital hotel, oh the irony]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

How do I get an Astronaut or NASA engineer

Postby bureax » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:58 am

How do I get an Astronaut or NASA engineer to visit? How do I get an astronaut to visit our college campus? What is the formal procedure? What about a NASA engineer? I believe they once mentioned I have to ask NASA and then provide room and board. How does it work exactly?
Last edited by bureax on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bureax

Re: How do I get an Astronaut or NASA engineer

Postby Slippery Jim » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 pm

You'd be better off asking that question here:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/hq/about/contact_us.html
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: How do I get an Astronaut or NASA engineer

Postby ryguy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:25 pm

From what I've heard NASA is extremely supportive of educational projects like you describe - I suspect you'll have a lot of success in contacting NASA, especially if you have some project funds to pay for travel/expenses. You'll notice a lot of the NASA site itself is devoted to education.

I love NASA. :-)
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

NASA Administrator

Postby mamamami » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:49 am

What does NASA have to do with International Relations? NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said Obama gave him a mission of utmost importance to "reach out" to the Muslim world. My question is, why?
mamamami

Re: NASA Administrator

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:02 am

hmm, im lost... could you elaborate please and maybe add links?.

i also think this may be in the wrong place!.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Luck » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Rich, I agree. This really isn't a psi/mind control related topic.

Here are the salient details for those who are interested. Apparently this stems from comments that Bolden made last July and resulted in conservative pundits getting their panties all in a twist because of the mention of Muslims.

The Muslim outreach at NASA is the result of the White House's preparation for Obama's Cairo speech. Staffers found that many Muslims admire American achievements in science and technology, so Obama used the speech to announce the appointment of U.S. "science envoys" and a new fund "to support technological development in Muslim-majority countries."

Obama appointed Egyptian-American scientist Ahmed Zewail as the first science envoy to the Middle East. Just last week, Zewail argued that the U.S. can build better relations with the Muslim world by "harnessing the soft power of science in the service of diplomacy." The NASA initiative is part of that.

Last month, Bolden himself traveled to Cairo to mark the first anniversary of Obama's speech. In an address at the American University, Bolden cited Zewail's work and stressed NASA's role in improving relations with Islamic nations. Beginning with a hearty "Assalaamu alaykum," Bolden explained that in the past, NASA worked with countries that were capable of space exploration, but now Obama has "asked NASA to change ... by reaching out to 'nontraditional' partners and strengthening our cooperation in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia and in particular in Muslim-majority nations."

http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/nasa039s-new-mission-building-ties-muslim-world#ixzz1K5tvY6ox
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:59 am

thanks Luck.

personally i see no conspiracy here and i think this is a good move, we should be trying to strengthen relationships because after all our media etc has been making out that most muslims are terrorists since 9/11 which simply isn't true.

most muslims i know in england are very decent people, maybe obama is just trying to do the right thing?...

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 am

Thread merged with existing drive by thread and moved here for lack of a better place to put it and spam links inserted in OP removed.

mamamami has left the building...
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Luck » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:53 pm

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:personally i see no conspiracy here and i think this is a good move, we should be trying to strengthen relationships because after all our media etc has been making out that most muslims are terrorists since 9/11 which simply isn't true.

most muslims i know in england are very decent people, maybe obama is just trying to do the right thing?...

Oh I absolutely agree. I am tired of a segment of the population that instantly equates "muslim" with "terrorist". There is nothing positive or productive in this; it's only purpose is to let some people treat "muslim" as the new "black".
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Smersh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Access Denied wrote:Thread merged with existing drive by thread and moved here for lack of a better place to put it and spam links inserted in OP removed.

mamamami has left the building...

I'm sure this is the same spammer who keeps coming back over at my own site where I'm a co-admin. Just posts to ask a question, then comes back in a few days time to edit in some spam. I think we've had him about 10 times now, each time with a different screen name and IP address etc. I don't know if you guys know about this btw, but we discovered a useful resource the other week which we've signed up to so we can make entries. A spammers database. And lo and behold I just entered the name of yer man and he's there!

Anyway to get back on topic, sadly I find it hard to see how NASA can generate more public interest without a massive increase in their budget, which in the current financial climate seems unlikely in the near future. Of course, we still have the unmanned probes out exploring the solar system but although I personally find them very interesting and exciting, I don't think they generate anything like the same interest with Joe Public as say, a manned Mars mission would.

Perhaps if the US and her allies can somehow extricate themselves from Afghanistan etc that would make some more money available, not just for the US but for Europe as well so we can all reach out into space more effectively and with more public interest. Also of course, growth and the financial markets need to get back on track following the recent awful slump.
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

space researcher

Postby bureax » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am

Like Kalpana Chawla and Sunita Williams any Indian can be a astronaut or space researcher at NASA? I m highly interested and most curious person about space,universe,stars like things. I am in class 12 and a student of physics how to go to NASA with a good salary and comfortable life? i m good in physics as well.
bureax

Re: space researcher

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

The user bureax has been banned for posting spam links in his initial post - no doubt he would have done the same with this one too.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to Science & Technology