China's new stealth plane.

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

China's new stealth plane.

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 am

Pictures have recently surfaced of China's new stealth plane, currently known as the Chengdu J-20.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... annel=awst

Add this to the recent test flights of Russia's Sukhoi Pak Fa T-50 and it's starting to look like American defence secretary Robert Gates may have been a little bit premature in cancelling the F-22 Raptor.

Recent reports suggest that Gates is once again restructuring the F-35 programme.

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk ... again.html

Although the Pak Fa and J-20 are probably a good few years from taking up active service my opinion is that Mr Gates has made a big mistake in cancelling the F-22 and maybe America has underestimated its opponents, now im not suggesting that these planes will ever go head to head in combat but it would seem that America will not hold the huge advantage it once had for a whole lot longer.

Could the restructuring be a response to these new planes?, maybe to add something to the F-35?.

Or has America got something else up its sleeve that we dont know about?.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: China's new stealth plane.

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:19 pm

a few pictures of the J-20 :
Attachments
2lvd3j6.jpg
2lvd3j6.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
1293597663994591.jpg
1293597663994591.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
1293597663296371.jpg
1293597663296371.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:21 pm

continued :
Attachments
xintu5.jpg
xintu5.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
atj60.jpg
atj60.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
3127a08.jpg
3127a08.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 am

Interesting, damn copy cats…

I’m not sure canceling the F-22 was such a bad idea. By the time China and Russia get their fifth generation fighters into operation (they certainly still have their work cut out for them as the AW article points out) they would be around 10 ten years closer to their end of service life. In the meantime we have enough F-22s (that even this far along into operationn we’re still working the bugs out of) and by then the F-35 will be in operation to cover the gap and we can be already working on our sixth generation.

I remain confident that regardless of how much technology they stole and/or are trying to reverse engineer, whatever we have in operation will be superior in one way or another to anything they have in operation at any point in time. Especially when you consider our advanced capabilities across multiple domains e.g.…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDRADM

That said, I don’t really follow the aviation field that closely so I could be wrong.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

Like AD, I'm not much of an aviation follower anymore, so I'll just toss in a flippant video comment:

Who needs stealth when you look that beautiful, and can do the party trick at 2:30ish..? Not to mention those swing wings - the F-111 is just a brilliant piece of engineering (and from what I've heard, pilots love them to death). I was reminded of it in a vague way when I saw the shape of the chinese aircraft.

Sadly, the F-111 is being retired from the Australian Air Force. IMHO, there is no more graceful, yet impressive aircraft. Maybe the Spitfire just matches it for beauty, but in a different way altogether. I find stealth aircraft quite ugly...

Anyway, having waffled about aeronautic aesthetics, you may now return to serious discussion.. :D
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Access Denied » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:27 am

May the venerable F-111 Aardvark RIP.

As proof that although I’m not up on the latest developments in aviation, I used to be the quite the enthusiast and would enjoy hearing from those who still are, I submit my all time favorite aircraft…

B-17 Flying Fortress
If ever there was a more aptly named aircraft, I don’t what it is. It’s ability to survive heavy damage is legendary and just look at all those turrets…

F-15 Eagle
The modern fighter.

P-38 Lightning
The classic fighter.

DH.98 Mosquito
I just love this plane. I don’t know why…

Back on topic...

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:Could the restructuring be a response to these new planes?, maybe to add something to the F-35?.

Looks like we have an answer…

F-35B On Probation; New Bomber To Go Forward
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... el=defense

The JSF test program will be restructured so that testing of the F-35A and F-35C runs ahead of the B model, rather than the other way around. If the B model cannot be “fixed or gotten back on track” in two years, “I believe it should be canceled,” Gates says.

Bummer, I really like that version…

X-35B Mission "X" Compilation Video (circa 2001)
http://www.jsf.mil/video/x35/x35b_high.wmv 8)
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:46 am

hi Tom.

i'm a little bit of an enthusiast but no expert by any means, its just another of my extremely wide range of interests!. lol.

i went to farnborough airshow last summer, fantastic day out but unfortunately for me the F-22 did not fly on public days and the Vulcan bombers brakes died just before take off so i didn't see two of the planes i was really looking forward to seeing!. but still had a great day and saw some exceptional aircraft and tech!.

the Eurofighter Typhoons extreme high speed vertical climb is one of the most amazing things i have ever witnessed in my life! and the sound of that thing is unreal.

i have plenty of fantastic photographs but unfortunately the file size is way too big to upload here and i have no way to alter them at the moment!.

thanks

rich
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:45 am

Cool, I grew up around aircraft and the flight line...

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:i have plenty of fantastic photographs but unfortunately the file size is way too big to upload here and i have no way to alter them at the moment!.

Have you tried ImageShack? I’ve used it before with some success but I understand images will be removed after a year if they’re not accessed and there’s a 300 MB per hour bandwidth limit. They allow images up to 5 MB in size though, larger will be “optimized for internet use”...

http://imageshack.us/
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:22 am

hi Tom.

as you've submitted some of your favourites, i will too. but im more into the modern stuff mainly because of the tech involved and their amazing capabilities.
Attachments
bird_of_prey_07.jpg
Boeing bird of prey
bird_of_prey_07.jpg (215.4 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
Sukhoi-Su-47-Berkut-05.jpg
Su 47 berkut technology demonstrator
Sukhoi-Su-47-Berkut-05.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
image011.jpg
MBB lampyridae, german stealth plane that had a similar rcs to the F117
image011.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:27 am

continued:
Attachments
Blackbird-3.jpg
my absolute favourite, the SR-71
Blackbird-3.jpg (36.57 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
yf23roll.jpg
YF-23
yf23roll.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
JPGS_ucav_bae ucav.jpg
Bae systems, replica, rcs test mock up.
JPGS_ucav_bae ucav.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby chrLz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:18 am

This thread is now my favorite!! I love these aircraft. Yes, my list of faves includes, not necessarily in this order:

F-111
Spitfire
Mustang
Lightning (P38)
X-15
Sabre

Here's a couple of the missing ones

Oh, and:

:D
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:03 am

well i have to include this plane even though its a fictional movie prop but there is sound reasoning to do so.

the following picture is of the fictional Mig 31 Firefox, from the fantastic clint eastwood movie of the same name Firefox,

my reason for including this plane is that it was fictional and around many years before our modern stealth fighters were known to the public or in some cases even got off the drawing board but yet this movie seems to have foreseen the future, the plane and some of its fictional capabilities share a great deal with what we have seen come into reality in more recent times, facets, stealth, chines, supercruise are already here and even thought control could eventually make it into future combat aircraft.

thanks

rich
Attachments
firefox2.jpg
firefox2.jpg (29.44 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
firefox.jpg
firefox.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 am

Rich, the Boeing Bird of Prey is pretty cool even though it was slow and couldn’t do anything besides being stealthy… :)

Bird of Prey

By the way, I got all of my pics from Wikipedia. They usually have a good selection and they don’t mind hot linking.

I’m sorry but the Su-47 has it’s wings on backwards. :) NASA already figured out that wasn’t such a great idea…

X-29

Yes, the SR-71, kind of hard to beat that for coolness. The XB-70 would have complemented it nicely on the stratgic end I think…

XB-70 Valkyrie
6 engines, Mach 3+ at 70,000 ft.

Not sure about the YF-23, it looked cool from the front but not as good otherwise with the diamond shaped wings as the F-22 I think…

Northrop YF-23
"Black Widow II" and "Gray Ghost"

F-22 Raptor

ChrLz, I agree with all of your choices except possibly the last one… WTF is that? :)

As long we’re throwing oddballs into the mix, I might as well add my favorites…

P-61 Black Widow
The first night fighter and the first aircraft specifically designed to use radar.

Aero Spacelines Pregnant Guppy

Aero Spacelines Super Guppy
Got to love an airplane designed to carry rocket parts!
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:21 am

hi guys.

just for the aircraft fans, i came across a fantastic thread full of pictures of some very rare and odd aircraft.

so just thought id pass it on for anyone that may be interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287752

thanks

rich
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Science & Technology