Future Planes

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Future Planes

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/201101 ... ost/810579
Get ready for the next generation of passenger airplanes.
NASA has taken the wraps off three concept designs for quiet, energy efficient aircraft that could potentially be ready to fly as soon as 2025, joining these planes of the future (and these). The designs come from Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and The Boeing Company. In the final months of 2010, each of these companies won a contract from NASA to research and test their concepts during 2011.
According to NASA: "[E]ach design has to fly up to 85 percent of the speed of sound; cover a range of approximately 7,000 miles; and carry between 50,000 and 100,000 pounds of payload, either passengers or cargo. For the rest of this year, each team will be exploring, testing, simulating, keeping and discarding innovations and technologies to make their design a winner."
Apparently, NASA is aiming to develop a line of super-planes that larger, faster, quieter, and that burn fuel slower and cleaner than their present counterparts.

There's also a slide show there with more future planes.
The three concept photos on the page really aren't that outlandish but are interesting.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Future Planes

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:41 am

i had seen this news elsewhere, and i had seen a documentary a few years ago with some testing of scaled rc versions of some similar blended wing body airliners as proof of concept, interesting, but what i dont understand is why are nasa doing this?. is commercial airlines etc something that nasa is regularly involved in?.

im a bit confused as it doesn't seem to make sense that nasa would contract an aircraft manufacturer to design and build airliners when nasa wont be a customer as such, you would think that the aircraft manufacturers would do this kind of thing of their own accord to generate sales to the commercial market, and or nasa to pretty much design their own if its something they want themselves!.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby chrLz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 am

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:i had seen this news elsewhere, and i had seen a documentary a few years ago with some testing of scaled rc versions of some similar blended wing body airliners as proof of concept, interesting, but what i dont understand is why are nasa doing this?. is commercial airlines etc something that nasa is regularly involved in?.

im a bit confused as it doesn't seem to make sense that nasa would contract an aircraft manufacturer to design and build airliners when nasa wont be a customer as such, you would think that the aircraft manufacturers would do this kind of thing of their own accord to generate sales to the commercial market, and or nasa to pretty much design their own if its something they want themselves!.

thanks

rich

Don't forget the first A stands for Aeronautics, and here's a quote from their About page - note the first item particularly:

NASA conducts its work in four principal organizations, called mission directorates:

* Aeronautics: pioneers and proves new flight technologies that improve our ability to explore and which have practical applications on Earth.

* Exploration Systems: creates capabilities for sustainable human and robotic exploration.

* Science: explores the Earth, solar system and universe beyond; charts the best route of discovery; and reaps the benefits of Earth and space exploration for society.

* Space Operations: provides critical enabling technologies for much of the rest of NASA through the space shuttle, the International Space Station and flight support.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 am

Hi Chrlz.

i will try to clarify my point a little.

i know nasa are into aeronautics etc but i always thought (obviously wrongly) that they mainly persued space/exploraition goals and that the aeronautics part was for that purpose but that they then passed on or sold their discoveries and inventions to civilian and military companies to further fund their own agenda and that civilian uses etc was merely a by-product of what they do, example: memory foam.

but in this case it seems a little different as they are contracting others to help them straight out design and build something for what would mainly have a civilian use which to me seems odd as i would have thought companies like boeing would do this kind of thing anyway without nasa.

i obviously dont know much about nasa! lol

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Science & Technology