Nimrod MRA4

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Nimrod MRA4

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:28 am

Hi all.

The UKs Nimrod MRA4 is now being scrapped at a reported government cost of £200 million without even entering active service, the plane reportedly the most advanced marine reconnaissance and fleet protection craft in the world has cost £4 billion to develop but now 9 all but finished aircraft worth around £445 million each will be destroyed like old cars to save the UK a further £2 billion over the next few years.

This will leave the UK without an immediate replacement and with huge holes in our defensive capabilities including protecting nuclear armed submarines.

The UK will still have to find money for a replacement at some time so is this one of the worlds craziest money saving decisions?.

Would it have been better to finish the planes and sell some or all of them even at a loss to recoup some of the already spent money?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12292390

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12297139

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... to-go.html

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Nimrod MRA4

Postby chrLz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 am

I apologise in advance for this flippant, completely uninformed reply...

But seriously, a DH Comet with a body kit? :D I understand the adage 'if it's not broken don't fix it'.. but .. 60 years!!!????

Then again, it used to get you around the world for 88 pounds..
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:09 pm

chrLz wrote:I apologise in advance for this flippant, completely uninformed reply...

But seriously, a DH Comet with a body kit? :D I understand the adage 'if it's not broken don't fix it'.. but .. 60 years!!!????

Then again, it used to get you around the world for 88 pounds..

haha, i totally understand your comment chrlz, and yes the comet has had its problems and the airframe itself is an old design, but im sure those past problems would be ironed out with modern tech etc. but still, as an overall package it is the most advanced of its kind in the world.

but anyway, my main point is that they are already bought and paid for and almost finished but are now being cut up and scrapped at a huge extra cost and with no replacement lined up, and we still have to find the money to buy a replacement which is obviously going to take years.

so just my opinion but i think this is an absolutely crazy decision, i personally think they should have finished them and either mothaballed some and sold some and put at least a couple in active service just to cover the gap or just sold the lot to an ally, even at a loss to bring some money back in.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 pm

The following article from yesterday's Telegraph may shed some light on the decision to scrap the planes as opposed to mothballing them.

Labour left us little choice: Nimrod had to go

Excerpt:
The decision to scrap the Nimrod MRA4 programme was one of the most difficult we had to take. This capability was conceived to provide the very outermost ring of long-range layered reconnaissance. The original plan conceived in 1996 was for 21 aircraft to be delivered in 2003. By the time the new Government took office in 2010 the programme had already been reduced to just nine aircraft, was almost £800m over budget with the unit cost of each aircraft ballooning by 300 per cent, and the aircraft were still nowhere near ready to enter service. The single MRA4 aircraft that had been delivered to the RAF was so riddled with flaws it could not pass its flight tests, it was simply unsafe to fly. I am not prepared to put our service personnel into any plane that isn’t safe. It would have taken more money and more time to rectify all the problems, if it was possible at all, and the onward cost of sustaining even the reduced fleet over the next ten years was a prohibitive £2bn. So we took the decision not to throw good money after bad. In the final analysis, it had to go.

I recognise the outstanding service given to the nation by the original Nimrod for over 40 years and that MRA4 would have been great to have, if it had worked. But the plain fact is that it didn’t. Because the airframes are based on a 1940s design, there is no realistic demand for them, and storing them would not be cost effective. We are having to pay to dispose of the aircraft but this is dwarfed by the projected cost of continuing to blindly pursue it. Labour had already retired the Nimrod MR2 last year before the MRA4 was ready, so the capability has already been gapped for over a year. We are mitigating the risk incurred by using other capabilities, such as Frigates, Merlin helicopters and Hercules aircraft. Operations in Afghanistan are not affected by this decision and we will continue to cover long-range Search and Rescue around the UK with a number of aircraft that can fulfil this role.

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Buckwild » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:44 am

Hi Rich,

and we still have to find the money to buy a replacement which is obviously going to take years.

For over two years in theory (4 a full squadron) :

The Nimrod MR2’s place will be taken by the new Nimrod MRA4 – the first of which will commence training flights from Kinloss in the summer – but full squadron service for this type remains over two years away.

http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/roy ... ement.html

Also...

With other Nato countries in Scandinavia maintaining constant reconnaissance patrols over the North Sea and northern Europe, defence officials say they are confident that there will be no lapses in maritime cover. They are also exploring the possibility of renting reconnaissance aircraft from the U.S. Air Force, as well as building a new generation of unmanned drones that would fulfil a similar function.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ision.html

Anyway, submarines might become invisible to active and/or passive sonar in the near futur :

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... Itemid=106

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Google

Return to Science & Technology