Why does it take nasa so long to state the obvious?

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Why does it take nasa so long to state the obvious?

Postby FulgurTempest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:46 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110206.html
I made the connection that this was an Extra-Terrestrial signal when they announced that Gliese 581 is an earthlike planet that is very likely to support life as we know it last year. Lets see.. an strange unexplainable laser signal comes from this planets location a year previous then after further research they realize that it is an earthlike planet and it takes them 6 months to put together the idea that maybe the signal was not random? really? REALLY?
~The artist formerly known as Nephratari~
FulgurTempest

Re: Why does it take nasa so long to state the obvious?

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

i think its more down to the fact that they have to check, check and check again before they say anything.

i think they like to be as certain as they possibly can.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Buckwild » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi FT,

You stated :

I made the connection that this was an Extra-Terrestrial signal when they announced that Gliese 581 is an earthlike planet that is very likely to support life as we know it last year. Lets see.. an strange unexplainable laser signal comes from this planets location a year previous then after further research they realize that it is an earthlike planet and it takes them 6 months to put together the idea that maybe the signal was not random? really? REALLY?

This false information was released by some European medias, here is an example :

Dr Ragbir Bhathal, a scientist at the University of Western Sydney, picked up the odd signal in December 2008, long before it was announced that the star Gliese 581 has habitable planets in orbit around it...

...He went on: 'We found this very sharp signal, sort of a laser lookalike thing which is the sort of thing we’re looking for - a very sharp spike. And that is what we found. So that was the excitement about the whole thing.'
For months after his discovery Dr Bhathal scanned the skies for a second signal to see whether it was just a glitch in his instrumentation but his search came to nothing.

Link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -year.html

The truth now :

In December 2008 a sharp laser look alike signal emanating from 47 Tucanae* was detected.
However, further searches in the same region have failed to detect the signal
again.

* : http://seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/n0104.html

Link : http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/abscic ... f/5046.pdf

+ 1 email :

Email from Dr. Bhathal:

Thanks for your email. I think a couple of people from the European press made a mistake and associated my work with the work on extra-solar planets. I am carrying out a search for ETI in the optical spectrum. We are looking for laser pulse signals from outer space. The signal we detected came from the southern constellation Tucanae. Please find attached the signal for your use in your publications. We are still in the process of trying to figure out whether it is an ETI signal.

Cheers.
Ragbir

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby FulgurTempest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 pm

see below.
Last edited by FulgurTempest on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FulgurTempest

Postby FulgurTempest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Holy cow, nvm they have totally changed the original text from what it was previously. wtf?
sigh.
FulgurTempest

Google

Return to Science & Technology