NEO coming in November

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

NEO coming in November

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I just found this at Space.com.
http://www.space.com/11310-huge-asteroi ... ember.html

Mark your calendars for an impressive and upcoming flyby of an asteroid that’s one of the larger potentially perilous space rocks in the heavens – in terms of smacking the Earth in the future.
It’s the case of asteroid 2005 YU55, a round mini-world that is about 1,300 feet (400 meters) in diameter. In early November, this asteroid will approach Earth within a scant 0.85 lunar distances.
Due the object’s size and whisking by so close to Earth, an extensive campaign of radar, visual and infrared observations are being planned.

There's an image there from Aricibo but it doesn't show much. It gets better though.
As for seeing the asteroid with small telescopes, start getting your gear ready.
Initially, the object will be too close to the sun and too faint for optical observers.
But late in the day (Universal Time) on Nov. 8, the solar elongation will grow sufficiently to see it. Early on Nov. 9, the asteroid could reach about 11th magnitude for several hours before it fades as its distance rapidly increases, Benner explained.
I can't wait haven't had much to look at in the telescope of late.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: NEO coming in November

Postby chrLz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 pm

'afore anyone gets too excited, bear in mind that magnitude 11 is dim. Seriously dim. Naked eye gets you to about 5 or 6 (lower numbers are brighter), so eleven is completely invisible to the naked eye and requires a decent telescope - I'd say 4" aperture at the very least, depending on your eyesight and skill. A supermarket special isn't going to cut it, and if you aren't used to hunting these things, I'd suggest you maybe book a place at an astronomy club event instead.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Illudium Q-36 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:31 pm

chrLz wrote: and if you aren't used to hunting these things, I'd suggest you maybe book a place at an astronomy club event instead.

I agree with that, it's something I haven't had a go at yet, it could be quite tricky to get right. There are a number of factors you need to get just right too. Here is a good guide incase people are interested.
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/ ... rcobs.html
It obstructs my view of Venus
Illudium Q-36

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I won't have a problem. I've been using telescopes since I was a wee lad. I have a top of the line telescope and some really good star map and chart software. Just don't have a camera but if I did..........anyway I already have the best viewing times marked on the calender and I have it's journey mapped. I haven't had much luck with NEOs so maybe this one will be good.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Science & Technology