Who wants to live forever?

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Who wants to live forever?

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 pm

I do, I really do want to live forever. It would be rude not to, surely?

If Aubrey de Grey's predictions are right, the first person who will live to see their 150th birthday has already been born. And the first person to live for 1,000 years could be less than 20 years younger.

A biomedical gerontologist and chief scientist of a foundation dedicated to longevity research, de Grey reckons that within his own lifetime doctors could have all the tools they need to "cure" aging -- banishing diseases that come with it and extending life indefinitely.

"I'd say we have a 50/50 chance of bringing aging under what I'd call a decisive level of medical control within the next 25 years or so," de Grey said in an interview before delivering a lecture at Britain's Royal Institution academy of science.

"And what I mean by decisive is the same sort of medical control that we have over most infectious diseases today."

De Grey sees a time when people will go to their doctors for regular "maintenance," which by then will include gene therapies, stem cell therapies, immune stimulation and a range of other advanced medical techniques to keep them in good shape.

De Grey lives near Cambridge University where he won his doctorate in 2000 and is chief scientific officer of the non-profit California-based SENS (Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence) Foundation, which he co-founded in 2009.

He describes aging as the lifelong accumulation of various types of molecular and cellular damage throughout the body.

"The idea is to engage in what you might call preventative geriatrics, where you go in to periodically repair that molecular and cellular damage before it gets to the level of abundance that is pathogenic," he explained.

Article continues here

It really is a fascinating read and I urge anyone with an interest in staying alive to give it the once over ;)
I'm not a biologist or any other kind of 'ist for that matter, but I have long believed that the ageing process is just an illness waiting for a cure. Find a way to prevent or replace damaged cells and theoretically there should be no limit to how old we can live to. Death from accidents (as alluded to in the article) is always going to be a difficult hurdle to get over, but with the right "body armour" this too could be overcome.

The biggest problem of course would be that of over population and all of the associated dilemmas associated with it. That requires its own solution, but again, it shouldn't prevent us from even trying.

I'm in, how about you :)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Re: Who wants to live forever?

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:07 am

id love to, or at least live far longer than we do. life is pretty short and not many people get to do many of the things they want to to in life, unless your a young billionaire like Roman Abramovic.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:14 am

Very interesting but hardly new. David Jacobs warned us about (de) Grey creating hybrids and vat-grown organs. :mrgreen:

Maybe the aging process will soon be defeated by genetic engineering (telomerase hack) and other cutting edge medical wizardry like transplanting organs grown from stem cells.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/ ... 0219.shtml

However , boosting telomerase activity works better on mice than humans...
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101128/ ... 0.635.html

... and you can't replace the brain. I just hope I'll be dead before my senile brain turns to mush.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:50 am

While I'm not sure extreme longevity is all that good a thing for a species that thrives on innovation and inventiveness (I'm sure there was a Star Trek episode that showed the dangers :D), it really shouldn't be that difficult. It actually surprises me that more research hasn't been/isn't being done..

Especially when there are creatures that can pretty much do it already, as they essentially lack any form of senescence and even have known techniques to that end. Ah, takes me back to my marine science days - do a bit of googling on sea squirts, anemones and hydra, esp. Turritopsis nutricula.

So it's already been done.. just not by us..
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby ryguy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I would absolutely accept immortality, however I just don't see how it will be possible any time in the near future, when they can't even figure out how to make roads that don't decay, crack and become overcome by natural forces. :-)

I'm afraid the human body is not much different than every other material "machine" in the world that gets worn down over time from use and abuse....

Now, the immortality of consciousness - that's a really fascinating concept to explore. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Science & Technology