Scour the moon for ancient traces of aliens, say scientists

Science and Technology News, Advanced Military Projects and Space Exploration

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Scour the moon for ancient traces of aliens, say scientists

Postby Smersh » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:08 pm

It looks like volunteers are required to pore over about a million images of the lunar surface from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, (LRO) to search for signs of past alien civilisations on the moon. (Once the LRO has completed its work that is - at the moment the image count is up to about 340,000.) See the story in The Guardian here.

From the original article about this, by Paul Davies and Robert Wagner at Arizona State University:

Searching for alien artifacts on the moon

P.C.W. Daviesa, , , R.V. Wagnerb
[Author vitae]

Purchase
a Beyond Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science at Arizona State University, PO Box 871504 Tempe, AZ 85287, USA

b School of Earth and Space Exploration Lunar Recon Oribiter Sci Ops Cn, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 85287, USA

Received 5 March 2011; revised 7 October 2011; Accepted 29 October 2011. Available online 23 November 2011.
Abstract

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has a low probability of success, but it would have a high impact if successful. Therefore it makes sense to widen the search as much as possible within the confines of the modest budget and limited resources currently available. To date, SETI has been dominated by the paradigm of seeking deliberately beamed radio messages.

However, indirect evidence for extraterrestrial intelligence could come from any incontrovertible signatures of non-human technology. Existing searchable databases from astronomy, biology, earth and planetary sciences all offer low-cost opportunities to seek a footprint of extraterrestrial technology. In this paper we take as a case study one particular new and rapidly-expanding database: the photographic mapping of the Moon's surface by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) to 0.5 m resolution. Although there is only a tiny probability that alien technology would have left traces on the moon in the form of an artifact or surface modification of lunar features, this location has the virtue of being close, and of preserving traces for an immense duration.

Systematic scrutiny of the LRO photographic images is being routinely conducted anyway for planetary science purposes, and this program could readily be expanded and outsourced at little extra cost to accommodate SETI goals, after the fashion of the SETI@home and Galaxy Zoo projects.
Highlights

► Alien civilizations may have sent probes to our region of the galaxy. ► Any mission to the solar system would probably have occurred a very long time ago. The lunar environment could preserve artifacts for millions of years. ► Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter provides a photographic database to search for artifacts. ► Searching the LRO database would make an excellent educational project

Keywords: SETI; Lunar reconnaissance orbiter; Extraterrestrial technology; Nuclear waste; Lava tubes; Regolith ...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6511003249

I wonder how they will ensure that volunteers will approach this task objectively, without looking for things in the photos that they want to see? And I guess it might be hard soon to find out any reliable information about this online, without being drowned in an ocean of woo ...
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Scour the moon for ancient traces of aliens, say scienti

Postby Tim Hebert » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Smersh wrote:The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has a low probability of success, but it would have a high impact if successful

I can say the same if I attempted to drill for oil in my back yard.

Smersh wrote:Although there is only a tiny probability that alien technology would have left traces on the moon in the form of an artifact or surface modification of lunar features, this location has the virtue of being close, and of preserving traces for an immense duration.

Yet according to Hoagland and company, it's all there for all to see via past Apollo mission photos...

I read Hoagland's "Dark Mission" right after having major orthopedic surgery. While "high" on Oxycontin, I was somewhat sympathetic for Hoagland. Some two weeks later, when not under the influence, the reality of Hoagland's theories was clearly apparent...

Tim

ETA: I understand what SETI is trying to accomplish, but unfortunately their efforts are akin to searching for the bottom of the Grand Canyon, at night, with a candle.
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Tim Hebert wrote:I understand what SETI is trying to accomplish, but unfortunately their efforts are akin to searching for the bottom of the Grand Canyon, at night, with a candle, whilst blindfolded in China.

I agree wholeheartedly and have added what I consider to be an important amendment.

Plus, I cannot be bother with the ebil NASA guise hiding important things from us whilst supplying access to tons of their research and live operations and yet don't clearly see an important artefact which would revolutionise mankinds' idea of existence because they haven't sat in a paranoid state at a laptop knowing they are right about...something.

Oh wait, I mixed them up again haven't I?

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Tim Hebert » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Something of a clarification, I did not want to leave the impression that I was quoting Smersh's viewpoint but rather the content that he had provided and commented on.

Further on, SETI, as well meaning of a project, SETI's total body of work can be summed up by astrophysicists David Greenspoon, in his book "The Lonely Planets"....SETI: the sound of silence...

And of course Fermi's Paradox...

m0r1arty wrote:Plus, I cannot be bother with the ebil NASA guise hiding important things from us whilst supplying access to tons of their research and live operations and yet don't clearly see an important artifacts which would revolutionise mankinds' idea of existence because they haven't sat in a paranoid state at a laptop knowing they are right about...something.

True, we brought back moon rocks and soil samples, yet left the "alien" artifacts lying around for the next time.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Science & Technology