Evaluating 1997 Arizona UFO reports

Use this forum for getting organized research help from our members

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Evaluating 1997 Arizona UFO reports

Postby astrophotographer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:26 am

Below are the following UFO reports of the March 13, 1997 Arizona UFO event. These are the witness statements to NUFORC made in 1997. I have already eliminated three from the batch simply because they did not seem to describe the same event (class 4 below). I am trying to classify them but I feel I am somewhat biased regarding the data. As a result, I was hoping that this group could assist me in the classification process. I have decided there are four classes I would like to assign.

1. Definitely a “dark object” is being reported.
2. The witness gave observations that indicated a formation of lights with little or no indication of the “dark object”
3. The witness descriptions describe a formation of lights and included observations that indicated the lights were independent of each other or there was no “dark object”.
4. This report does not relate to the event in question

So, I think the response would be to simply answer (this is an example and not the classification I gave) A-1 (witness A appears to be describing classification 1). Try not to be affected by what others list. Just give me your own evaluation. After we finish with the 1997 reports, we can look at the remaining 31 reports that were made between 1998 and 2009.

[Mod Edit: A separate thread for each sighting has been set up in this forum so that members can use the poll function to classify them]
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: Evaluating 1997 Arizona UFO reports

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:30 pm

I think it might be useful to have a link to the report here in the thread. It would make it easier for those who need to refresh their memory ;)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Wiki has a fairly good overview of the case…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights

“Lights of varying descriptions were seen by thousands of people between 19:30 and 22:30 MST, in a space of about 300 miles, from the Nevada line, through Phoenix, to the edge of Tucson. There were two distinct events involved in the incident: a triangular formation of lights seen to pass over the state, and a series of stationary lights seen in the Phoenix area. The United States Air Force (USAF) identified the second group of lights as flares dropped by A-10 Warthog aircraft which were on training exercises at the Barry Goldwater Range in southwest Arizona. Witnesses claim to have observed a huge carpenter's square-shaped UFO, containing lights or possibly light-emitting engines.”

Also, Tim has published a very detailed analysis of the case that I notice isn’t referenced in the above article…

MARCH 13, 1997: THE ARIZONA UFO's
http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/AZUFO.htm

Anyway, I notice we already have some differences of opinion in the poll questions… interesting.

[poll questions here for those just tuning in]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby astrophotographer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 am

I suspected some gray areas on this. This is why I wanted to get a larger opinion on evaluating them than my own. Of course, two responses seems a bit of a weak response. I was hoping for at least ten responders to evaluate the results. I am not sure how one report got three responses and the others got two though.

Feel free to vote but only vote once people.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 am

The polls are set to prevent anyone from voting more than once so if any of the reports have more or less votes than the others, that means somebody didn't vote on all of them.

I’m disappointed more people haven't weighed in yet... it's an interesting experiment in interpretation in my opinion.

For those who may be wondering, the polls are completely anonymous. There’s no way for me or anybody else to know who voted and how.

(short of hacking into the MySQL database and figuring out where phpBB stores the info or installing a MOD for that purpose but that would be kind of silly)
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:48 am

[Polls Closed]

Due to a lack of participation Tim is just going to email a select group of researchers a form to fill out and return if they want. Unfortunately there's just not enough data here to draw any statistically significant conclusions from.

Thank you to those who participated.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Research Projects