Cryptozoology

Mysterious and Mythical Creatures, Hidden Texts, Secret Codes and Ciphers

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Cryptozoology

Postby Chorlton » Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Nessie will never be found because its a proven fact that there is simply not enough food in Loch Ness to feed anything much bigger than a seal. The place is effectively dead. Tis a strange place though.

And 'Bigfoot'? You should see Sister Edwina's feet, Her cast off shoes are sold as lifeboats.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm

What about the Chupacabra? Those are pretty freaky-looking ugly little things...
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby gunter » Tue May 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Chorlton wrote:Nessie will never be found because its a proven fact that there is simply not enough food in Loch Ness to feed anything much bigger than a seal.
Apparently you haven't heard about the yogi who hasn't eaten in 70 years. His secret is Nessie's secret. But I figured anyone with a modicum of intelligence would understand that.

Yogi hasn't eaten in 70 years
consider everything/ believe nothing
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed May 12, 2010 7:23 am

jbondo wrote:Wow! Feeling the pressure to produce now. I thought I already said I wasn't that smart. Not going to work? #-o

OK, I'll keep my eyes open. In the meantime please enjoy this delightful music: Do-dodododo-do-do-do-la-lala-la-dodoOoo.....

The Police? Shouldn’t that be the Jeopardy theme? :)

No worries, take your time…

In the meantime, I’ve moved this thread to the new forum.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby jbondo » Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm

gunter,

You hit it right on the head. As much as I have my feet solidly planted I still open my mind to biologically possible cryptids such as Bigfoot. In fact BF is the only cryptid that I truly think is possible if we are to go way out into the unknown. The Mothman thread is for entertainment. The stories on the link are interesting and quite amusing since most are written by people who seem to have dropped out of school in the 3d grade. Some just take it too seriously.

The point is we should obviously have a healthy skepticism for this sort of thing but not so much that we totally bypass animals that could exist. Otherwise we'd just ignore everything and never discover Mountain Gorillas or the unbelievable creatures in the deep trenches of the oceans.
jbondo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby gunter » Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm

we should obviously have a healthy skepticism...
...and never allow it to roll over into abject debunkery. On this we agree. As Yogi was wont to say, "If ya don't think too good, don't think too much."
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby gunter » Sun May 16, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't wanna alarm anybody, but...

They’re also aroused by used lingerie, so female campers shouldn’t hang their panties out to dry because, in his words, “That’s like raising a flag and inviting them in.”

Bigfoot Mating Season Underway In Florida Everglades
It's Bigfoot mating season in the Florida Everglades and researcher Dave Shealy says this furry creature is attracted to women on their periods.

It's Bigfoot mating season in the Florida Everglades and researcher Dave Shealy says this furry creature is attracted to women on their periods.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 17:10 GMT
OCHOPEE, Fla. (Wireless Flash - FlashNews) – Bigfoot mating season is underway in the Florida Everglades and the furry, horny creature is out for blood.

Dave Shealy, an RV park owner in Ochopee, Florida, is the leading researcher of the Skunk Ape, Bigfoot’s “smaller, smellier cousin.”

He says there are seven to nine Skunk Apes currently living in the Everglades and right now is the best time to spot one because it’s their mating season.

Lately, he’s heard lots of campers report strange sounds coming from the swamps. He figures it’s the Skunk Ape’s mating call, which sounds like a low-pitched dove cooing.

Though Skunk Apes are generally shy, Shealy says women on their periods should be careful when hiking the area because the cryptoids are attracted to the scent of menstruation.

They’re also aroused by used lingerie, so female campers shouldn’t hang their panties out to dry because, in his words, “That’s like raising a flag and inviting them in.”
© Copyright 2010 Wireless Flash News Inc

http://www.flashnews.com/news/wfn01100513fn3688.html
Last edited by Access Denied on Sun May 16, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: replaced link to exact same post on another forum with link to original source
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun May 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Nice !
I do like a good laugh on a Sunday
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby gunter » Sun May 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Stolen from the famous HM TwatFiles™.
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 am

jbondo,

Thought this might interest you as far as cryptozoology. Last year on the History Channel's Monster Quest series, I saw the episode about the theory of existing prehistoric predessessors of the Grizzly Bear still kicking around in North America locations, ie, the Pacific Northwest region. One of the cryptozoologist being interviewed was a gentleman by the name of Matthew Billie. Matt had worked with me while assigned to Grand Forks AFB, ND. Previously, Matt had been on a Titan II missile launch crew. With the deactivation of the Titan IIs, Matt found a home coding up Minuteman III missiles. Matt's interview may still be available on the HCs website under the Monster Quest section. Oh...I believe Matt is still looking for that bear!

Cheers,

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby jbondo » Tue May 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks Tim,

I saw that MQ episode. One of the few they did that was worth watching.

Have a great day!
jbondo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby James Carlson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:25 am

I was watching a documentary about the Beast of Gevaudan this evening. Then I watched a show called "MonsterQuest: The American Werewolf". A lot of people, particularly in the second show, should be embarrased for having recorded this stuff; it's not very flattering.

I have one question: has a cryptozoologist ever been responsible for actually discovering something, or are they pretty much glorified library researchers? And if I wanted to get a degree in Cryptozoology, where would I go to do that?

There's no hurry -- I'm just a little curious; I expect the shows I watched aren't necessarily the most effective when it comes to defining the field, but if they are, for instance, average for the field, a lot of people should be ashamed of themselves. They tried to blame the deaths in 1767 Gevaudan, France on a prehistoric cave hyena, for God's sake! Like nobody would have ever noticed a breeding population of such animals in one of the agricultural centerpieces of Europe. This guy was measuring the body parts in published drawings made in Paris by a guy who got the descriptions from a newspaper. The whole thing made me ill, because I really like werewolf movies!

Anyway, if it's possible that I could get a Cryptozoology degree, I'd sure like to see what the study guides are all about.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Buckwild » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:25 am

Hi James,

Don't know if you could get a cryptozoology degree but you can get a parapsychology diploma online and a cannabis diploma @ Oaksterdam University in Oackland, Ca. So, why not, after all ? :mrgreen:

Never heard about any cryptozoologist making a discovery but I know that some of them use motion detection cameras, just like UFOs/UAPs and all-sky cams. Marine biologists do the same with underwater cameras.

One thing I could tell you is that not all that glitters is gold and it applies both ways. In other words, not all that looks weird is fake and the opposite is also true.

http://www.paleo.cc/paluxy/plesios.htm

Now, this "creature"/sea serpent :
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/ ... 4_0391.jpg

You would think it is fake right ?

Well, think again, it is real :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oarfish

Videos : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvRqqwBoyx8
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8el3b ... nt_animals

ps : I know some guy here in France who is trying to discover what the "Bête du Gévaudan*" was and this is what he thinks it was, a Lycaon pictus also known as an African wild dog

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Gevaudan

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby James Carlson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 am

I've heard of the oar-fish, and it is seriously cool. I collect newspapers just for fun, and I've got one from the 1870s or so that contains a really detailed drawing of an oar-fish, so it's been confused with sea serpents for a long, long time now. It's a fun fish, though -- that's a certainty. For the most part, they seem to swim while in a vertical position, which is odd, but it really gets weird when talking about how it looks underwater -- in deep water, its skin is apparently transparent -- wicked cool if you want to study its anatomy. I'll tell you, though, I completely love the "Sea-monster or Shark?" article. I've seen the photographs and what people were trying to define it as about 15 years ago, but I'd never heard about the real efforts to identify it; it's a great article!

I've always found the Beast of Gevaudan a really interesting account, and I've tracked down a couple of newspapers from 1765 that discuss the case in great detail (as contemporary newspaper reports), but the price is a little steep, so I'll have to wait a while before I can afford them. It's an immensely interesting case, especially so since the "Beast" was described in some accounts (definitely not all, however) as a man wearing wolfskins. Were the attacks tragic but natural incidents, or were they crimes? It's a great topic of conversation or study, but I don't think it's necessary to blame it on an extinct species like the cave hyena; still, your friend's introduction of Lycaon pictus on the suspect list is a pretty inspired solution. It's definitely capable, but I wonder if it's just as prolific -- you never know with wild animals (and some tame as well) what they're capable of doing when they're ripped out of their natural habitat. There's no reason, I suppose, that the killings couldn't be the result of a couple or more otherwise unrelated causes, since they went on for years; it would be some kind of coincidence though. A Hell of lot of people were killed, even by 18th century standards!
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Hey James I don't think there is a crypto degree, just as there is no ufo degree. However you could start with biology or zoology. They used to call cryptozoology "exotic zoology". I would term it fringe science but hey what do I know. Any who here's a site you might find of use: http://www.newanimal.org/ very well done site with loads of info. You'll like the bit there about your Beast of Gevaudan. I'd never heard of it till your mention and then read the stuff there about it. Very interesting.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to Cryptozoology & Cryptology