Loch Ness-style Cryptid in Idaho/Utah?

Mysterious and Mythical Creatures, Hidden Texts, Secret Codes and Ciphers

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Loch Ness-style Cryptid in Idaho/Utah?

Postby Tim Hebert » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:16 am

Just returned last week from Jackson, Wyoming. My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by hiking/biking in Teton and portions of Yellowstone National Parks. A little too cold for rafting down the Snake River for my taste, but perhaps next year...

Driving back to Salt Lake City to catch our return flight back to San Diego, we happen to come across Bear lake. Bear Lake is quiet large, spanning both portions of Idaho and Utah, and appeared to be a destination for many fishing and boating enthusiasts. The shear size of the lake led me to believe that it may have been man-made, ie damning of local rivers, but no, back at our hotel room that night, I googled the lake and was amazed that it was a natural lake some 200,000-plus years old.

And to add to this novel discovery of mine, Bear Lake has its version of a Loch Ness-style creature(s) that some of the locals have supposedly sighted just recently. Sightings have been recorded in the local Native American lore
(Shoshone?) going back to a couple of centuries. Basically the shape and size of the supposed creature resemble that of a crocodile to that of a creature with a head resembling a sheep with a long neck...sounds familiar with other lake cryptids?

Rather than providing links to the various sites...there are many, I suggest that you google "Bear Lake Monster." That should get you started.

Let me know what you think.
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Cryptozoology & Cryptology