OMF and the Hoax

Source A / OM musings by Andy Murray, aka Murnut

Moderator: murnut

Re: OMF and the Hoax

Postby DrDil » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 pm

Just read this (excerpt) on conspiracy theories and the two main guidelines seem to more than aptly describe the death throes of the source a saga:

Many of these theories are clearly absurd, but some are plausible and others actually contain elements of truth. How can we distinguish among the amusing eccentrics, the honestly misguided, the avaricious litigants, and the serious skeptics questioning a premature consensus? With scientific claims, the only definitive answer is to reexamine the original research data and repeat the experiments and analysis. But no one has the time or the expertise to examine the original research literature on every topic, let alone repeat the research. As such, it is important to have some guidelines for deciding which theories are plausible enough to merit serious examination.

One valuable guideline is to look for cascade logic in conspiracy arguments (Susstein and Vermeule 2008). This occurs when defenders of a conspiracy theory find it necessary to implicate more and more people whose failure to discover or reveal the conspiracy can be explained only by their alleged complicity. Another guideline is to look for exaggerated claims about the power of the conspirators, claims that are needed to explain how they were able to intimidate so many people and cover their tracks so well. The more vast and powerful the alleged conspiracy, the less likely that it could have remained undiscovered.

Source: Csicop - "The Conspiracy Meme"

Cheers.
DrDil
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby philliman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Really glad to see you being back, mate! And my condolences. Hope you and your family are already doing better again.

Since it seems like you were already watching from the sidelines it's needless to say that you have been missed. ;) Hope soon your forum will be back online again.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby philliman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:28 pm

If I would be Bren then I wouldn't start where I've just left because OM was a mess in its last days of existence. The best thing he could do is to find some balanced staff members who could take care of the forum while he's not online which shouldn't mean that the same Gestapo-methods should be applied as it was the case in former times. There's really no need to moderate a discussion where there's been no need for moderation to begin with. OM v2.0 is the best example for how not to do it because they already behave the same way as they did at the old place and members are already leaving again. Treat people like adults and don't always jump in if there's a little bit of a heated debate (which still stays civil) and all should be well.

Droid, you're possibly the only one who doesn't get it. Even Cy does somehow acknowledge that this Sc A-saga was a hoax. She just doesn't care about that it was one because of her twisted kind of world view. :P Even those guys who once sold you that hoax were obviously fully aware of from the beginning on that something wasn't right but they still banned people left and right who were of the same opinion. If that doesn't tell you something then I'm sorry.

philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 am

From flitting around the various forums and trying to take in as much as I can in what little time I have for browsing, I still can't escape the feeling that there is something more to this than meets the eye.

It doesn't add up, does it? The Outpost gang (admins/mods) appeared to have turned over a new leaf in the very early days of their new forum, but now it looks like everything is back to the way it was before. The same old smug arrogance, the same old talking down at people, the same old locking of threads and removing of accounts. Hmm...

What's the betting that another "big story" is on the horizon and they were told under no cicumstances could it be hosted at OM? Past history and excessive baggage can be such a pain in the ass for hoaxers. That they appear to now more or less support the fact that Serpo, Source A, Drones etc. are/were hoaxes only serves to make me even more suspicious of their motives and what lies ahead.

Watch the skies...
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby harborsc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:06 pm

There is more to this and it is not through yet. Lets stay around and see what happens next. It should be good fun. I do not miss OMF at all. The OMF posters will migrate to an equally obnoxious site and do as usual.
harborsc

Postby mosfet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Alright here’s the situation. A handful of administrators and bulletin board moderators started a UFO bulletin board and had a lot of fun exercising their control and power. Eventually they started to fight among themselves and one of them took the football to a new playing field. The admins and moderators were like the team owner, coaches, staff, referees etc. The people participating in the forum were like the players, cheerleaders and spectators.

So when somebody took the football to the new field all the players and spectators where left homeless or had to move to the new playing field.

The game on the old field, with just a few players, eventually closed. This left a lot of stragglers. At some point it should have been obvious to the players and spectators that the admins and moderators where having fun, and the players were just enablers for this control obsessed group no matter where it settled.

That the stragglers needed this brand of leadership I find interesting but not surprising. It says more about UFO bulletin boards and the people they attract.

Other than that who cares, and don’t tell me government infiltrators or aliens on keyboards were responsible because OMF was getting too close to the truth!

But entertainment value of course.
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby jeddyhi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:01 pm

DrDil wrote:My absence was due in part to a family tragedy coupled with quite serious (personal) health issue. Thanks for the concern guys (& for even noticing!!) and of course for the entertaining food fights (Jed & Mur!!) at the other online venues…..

Cheers. :wink:

Very glad to see you again DrDil. Wishing you the very best!
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Puppetburglar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 am

Zep Tepi wrote:From flitting around the various forums and trying to take in as much as I can in what little time I have for browsing, I still can't escape the feeling that there is something more to this than meets the eye.

It doesn't add up, does it? The Outpost gang (admins/mods) appeared to have turned over a new leaf in the very early days of their new forum, but now it looks like everything is back to the way it was before. The same old smug arrogance, the same old talking down at people, the same old locking of threads and removing of accounts. Hmm...

What's the betting that another "big story" is on the horizon and they were told under no cicumstances could it be hosted at OM? Past history and excessive baggage can be such a pain in the ass for hoaxers. That they appear to now more or less support the fact that Serpo, Source A, Drones etc. are/were hoaxes only serves to make me even more suspicious of their motives and what lies ahead.

Watch the skies...

Yes.

And as I've alluded in the past, some of the drama was/is staged. Scripted histrionics and puerile pen pointing for the separating set up of the next unfortunate wink. The shots across the now even more various forums will allow for more complex assessments of the DOH! information flow. I look forward to parsing the enablers, sustainers, true believers, and 'others' in the coming clueless Clue.
God is a comedian performing for an audience too afraid to laugh

Voltaire
Puppetburglar
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby cerebcat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:46 am

Without wishing to nitpick, I did actually mention this on page 51. :wink:

Sorry Smersh, I read through the posts too quickly to catch it I guess.

Cere
cerebcat

Postby mosfet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:29 pm

accordinging to

http://theedgeofreality.proboards.com/index.cgi (where everyone is a moderator except bewildered)

It's pigswillfly birthday

I might add no one has said Happy birthday. Mur?
Last edited by mosfet on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:44 pm

My Birthday is in November
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby mosfet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:46 pm

murnut wrote:My Birthday is in November

well happy happy but what about pwf
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby suspicioso » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 am

Hi I'm back, did I miss much? :D
Too Dangerous For Open Minds Forum!
suspicioso
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Smersh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 pm

suspicioso wrote:Hi I'm back, did I miss much? :D

Hi Sus and welcome back.

As for OMF / all subsequent related forums consisting of the same personnel - same %!%!, different day. :wink:
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet - I haven't had time to catch up with everything, but does anyone know if Bren runs this YouTube account? I saw a video slamming the folks that supposedly "destroyed" OM, then this video filled with vile language and even mentioning Pandolfi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9uOOfe ... re=related

Anyone know?
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

PreviousNext

Google

Return to Murnut's Sauce