Chances of a new subforum?

Educational materials and discussion promoting the use of critical thinking skills

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Chances of a new subforum?

Postby m0r1arty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 pm

I have a fairly decent set of videos from a few talented authors which poke around many areas of understanding and of the supernatural which I think would be worthy of their own threads to discuss their content.

I don't think the 'Latrine' is the best place to do so though and was wondering if we could set up a category for threads which try and disseminate the truth from cited and provable aspects? In particular videos which are detailed, concise and cited within their works. A proper compendium of progressive thinking videos as it were.

They are without personal agenda and are very interesting to watch and learn from.

Until such times as an answer I leave you with a noteworthy - but not particularly useful for scientific debate video of Carl Sagan remashed into something almost as beautiful as his original self:

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Re: Chances of a new subforum?

Postby Access Denied » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:30 am

You mean something like the "General Skepticism and The Paranormal" forum at JREF, oriented towards presenting material that advocates the development of critical thinking skills?

(and of course taking flak from those who oppose it lol)

Physics Forums has a forum called “Skepticism and Debunking” that supposedly limited to citing peer reviewed research but unfortunately the moderator seems to think that includes “research” generated by retail Ufologists so consequently not much else is discussed… fail.

Anyway, I could probably get behind the idea if that's basically what you had in mind.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 am

i think this is a good idea, from what ive seen so far the average IQ on RU is pretty high so it shouldn't descend into a you tube nonsense fest. i hope! lol.

thanks

rich
Last edited by RICH-ENGLAND on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 am

Access Denied wrote:You mean something like the "General Skepticism and The Paranormal" forum at JREF, oriented towards presenting material that advocates the development of critical thinking skills?

That's it exactly! a 5-10 minute presentation which utilises audio and visual material to set across an important point in an easy to understand fashion.

Here is an example of one of the authors I'm so enamoured with:

I think it would be worthy of discussion all by itself as well as being a good reference point for directing people to.

Having its own RU thread allows for the overall sentiment of the membership here scrutinise it and allows for others to see important points raised within out own confines here.

I'd also welcome slightly more dramatic, in the comical sense, videos which also have detailed information relating to their existence such as:

Again here there is good quality information which is worthy of note itself as well as being entertaining.

UFO videos, Youtube creationist/evolution videos, Obama is bad, FEMA evidence and other such stuff can still be displayed in the forums appropriate to them and not in this particular forum I am suggesting. The forum I am suggesting would be more like a 'sceptical mind mixed taped' and the criteria for entry would be that the videos have to clearly state information related to how we understand, or perceive, and some of the pit falls of the paranormal which overcome our senses.

Videos which go against this grain are removed as there are plenty of other places on the forum for the to exist.

Still sounding ok?

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Access Denied » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:50 am

Can we reference skeptic texts as well?
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby m0r1arty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 am

Access Denied wrote:Can we reference skeptic texts as well?

Sure, but it stops being a playlist then and more of a library! I like playlists :p

If we could get some members on board so that we have certain, as in 100%, criteria for acceptable and unacceptable content then we can enforce, as a group, these criteria if anyone tries to post outwith them.

Also being open to change through reflective practise and reviewing our criteria every now and then can't be a bad thing.

For example, if sceptical texts are published in a thread here - then a basic review of the content is required by the poster to give a concise overview of what that text pertains to so as to instantly notify the reader of its direction. This will allow for those interested to read further and perhaps comment whilst those not interested in that field to mosey on by.

Again if we have a few choice texts (I love illustrations and stuff) then these could be used as anchor reference points for people not familiar with them during conversations in other areas of the forum.

The idea being that larger concepts can be dropped into regular conversations with a link to their own thread within this subforum. Those who click on the link get to read about these concepts separate from the conversation that brought them to it and be educated about it. They can then either comment on the concept itself of return to the thread which sent them there in the first place to continue their thoughts there.

IT's an idea and it seems like yourself and Rich are onboard Access Denied - if we could grab a few other people's thoughts on this it'd be great to try and shape out.

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Access Denied » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 am

Well, I’m a little confused about what it is you have in mind now but maybe the best way to find out is to try it and see what happens. Any suggestions for the Title and Description of the forum?

Let me know and I’ll run it by Steve and Ryan and see what they think.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby m0r1arty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 am

I don't know what to name it, how about "The compendium to critical thinking" or "the anthology of awareness".

So that it suggests definitive (until now) ways to approach situations and information with a clear head.

Again, the more input the merrier.

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby ryguy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:35 pm

I can't see some of the posts above from where I am. What is the topic at hand within the video? Why couldn't you just post it to the applicable forum? We cover UFOs, Spirituality, Cryptozoology, etc....

Or is it about analyzing paranormal topics in general....?

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby m0r1arty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Hey ryguy,

The topic at hand is that of videos and material which help focus on what critical thinking, or not being purposefully distracted by games, is.

Not specific videos or material which are about any particular topic but rather abstract, yet applicable, teachings which are of use to everyone in any situation.

For example:

I hope this helps clear things up.

-m0r
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:45 pm

hi ryguy, i think his idea is more to do with videos that teach critical thought etc, rather like a learning zone as opposed to videos about specific paranormal topics.

thanks

rich

edit) oops we posted same thing at same time! lol
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:18 pm

I love that idea - it's a area sorely lacking in these fields of research in general, so it would be fantastic to get good quality information like that for people to learn & practice critical thinking.

...the three of us will discuss, but I really like the idea, personally.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Skepticism & Critical Thinking