Playing with GIANT Erector Sets!

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Playing with GIANT Erector Sets!

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Well dudes, I am back in Colorado this week. I arrived to see my monolithic slab foundation of 43'x44', which was plumbed and poured at the end of July when I wasn't here.

This morning the truck arrived with all the components to the steel building, and I had to offload it and inventory it all. It is amazing to me how just the act of taking count of all the components in a design, you can learn so much about it and how it goes together. I got infinitely more smart (than I was) about steel buildings and their design today. To me that is rockin!
:rockerdude:

There are a total of 12 main structural beams that are made of the highest guage steel. Four of them are vertical columns. But they do not go at the four corners of the building as you might think. The four columns are connected via 2 each A-frame rafter beams. The last four beams are short ones that tie the two rafter rails together at the roof crown. Smaller gauge (but still pretty heavy) beams are used for the four corner columns as well as the endwall A-frame rafter pieces on the frontwall and backwall. It is easy to see that this is gonna be one helluva strong building!

By the end of tomorrow we should have the four main columns and their rafters installed and plumbed. Can't wait to see what I learn doing that! 8)

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: Playing with GIANT Erector Sets!

Postby torbjon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:42 pm

*laughs*

Well, Among other things, I'm willing to wager that you learn that steal is one unforgiving SOB. Watch them fingers... and elbows... and knees... and toes.. and your back...

oh ya, and that head thing, too...

Just out of curiosity, what the 'ell are you building, anyway? (other than big metal building that is)
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:20 am

I'm betting he's running an experiment to see if fire can bring down a steel building... **runs away quickly**
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 am

I was going to ask the same thing Torb… judging by Ray’s current avatar [yikes!] I’m guessing it’s going to be one of those places where they do secret human sacrifices or something.

Don’t hex me bro!
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 am

I'm getting worried :(

Wind Tunnels

ERECTOR sets

HMMMMMMMMMMMM :lol:
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:39 pm

A 43' x 44' foundation? What the.....

It was bound to happen eventually folks. Ray has finally lost his marbles, and is now moving to the mountains and building a lab where he can compete with Gordon Novel in building a reverse-engineered alien craft. OOOOH...Ray...I know of a few wealthy folk who've been willing to throw away money into con-artist ventures...I would think they'd be more than willing to invest in a project where there's a least a legitimate engineer involved. :)

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:45 am

ryguy wrote:A 43' x 44' foundation? What the.....

It was bound to happen eventually folks. Ray has finally lost his marbles, and is now moving to the mountains and building a lab where he can compete with Gordon Novel in building a reverse-engineered alien craft. OOOOH...Ray...I know of a few wealthy folk who've been willing to throw away money into con-artist ventures...I would think they'd be more than willing to invest in a project where there's a least a legitimate engineer involved. :)

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That one really got me laughing, Ryan! After a long day of working, I needed that! Actually, you are not too far off! More than half of this building will be a high-bay garage that I do intend to use to develop my own UAVs. And with the 35+ acres I bought to develop this property, I will have PLENTY of room for a UAV airfield!

Chorlton: Have you ever had to pay $10,000 (or the equivalent in Pounds Sterling) for an erection? I have!!! :shock: Erection of this building, of course! (Get your mind outta the guttter, pal!). Here are a couple pics of the skeleton as they exist following our work today. This one is from the front of the building. The large opening on the right hand side will be the high-bay garage door (16'x16'):

And here is one from the rear:

And I have always seen deer hiding in the trees on my hill (in the background of the first photo), but on this trip I have verified I have at least two bucks! And now, for those who are simply so damn curious (or is it jealous? :P ) that they want to see the layout of this, my Phase 1 building...here it is:

And finally, because I am the person who always walks the way I talk, I have confirmed on this trip that I will be able to power this whole building completely off-grid via a mixture of wind turbine, solar PV array, and a bank of batteries. This location has a virtually constant wind of about 5-10 knots at the surface due to the McPhee Reservoir which is right behind my property. It gets a bit faster sometimes, and since I have a hill I can put a 50' (or higher) mast on that hill to get into the higher energy airflow. Next summer will be spent framing the interior per the above plan as well as installing the wind turbine on the hill and hooking it up to a battery charger and the circuit breaker box for the building.

It has always been a dream of mine to take a "clean sheet" of property and do exactly what I am doing. My phase 2 building will be a 3800 square foot two-story log home. 4 bedrooms each with its own bathroom. This Phase 2 will become the Rainman Ranch Bed & Breakfast. Only a 1.5 hour drive from here to the awesome skiing of Telluride!

If you guys are nice to me (ha!) I might invite you out sometime...as long as you bring lots of beer! :)

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Oh yeah... for your continued enjoyment... here is a sunset pic taken before the building erection began. That's my deer hill sloping off to where my B&B will eventually sit:

Access Denied wrote:I was going to ask the same thing Torb… judging by Ray’s current avatar [yikes!] I’m guessing it’s going to be one of those places where they do secret human sacrifices or something.

Don’t hex me bro!

:D I just felt it was time for a change. (And no, Obama offers no change, only the promise thereof!) So I went with this avatar mostly because of the Ouroboros and its depiction of self-referential, closed-loops. I'm a controls guy at heart. But I also liked it because with the hexagram in the middle it speaks to my interest in the scientific foundations of the Tree Of Life, or more generally sacred geometry.

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Oh the planners would have a fit with Planning permissions for that around here!
I had to get DETAILED Planning Permission for a wooden, 2 bay, single level garage on my property then they told me what colour it had to be painted!
And as for putting living quarters in or on a Garage or workshop? Makes the planners go into fits of delight, they can get their little books out and slap you with every restriction they can come up with.

And dont mention Deer to me please. The local herd round here has pushed my fence down twice this year.
Deer in Southern UK are now classed as vermin, same classification as Rats as there are so many of the buggers, but I cant shoot them unless they are on my property

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Chorlton wrote:Oh the planners would have a fit with Planning permissions for that around here!
I had to get DETAILED Planning Permission for a wooden, 2 bay, single level garage on my property then they told me what colour it had to be painted!
And as for putting living quarters in or on a Garage or workshop? Makes the planners go into fits of delight, they can get their little books out and slap you with every restriction they can come up with.

No need to tell me about that! One of the major criteria for selecting this property was that it be in an unincorporated part of Montezuma County, Colorado. The ONLY permit and/or inspection required by the county was for my septic system. Of course, I am not so stupid that I would not adhere to the Uniform Building Code which would be invoked for inspections within an incorporated city or town. But I save LOTS of time and money by avoiding having all the government yahoos sticking their nose in my business. My boss at work bought about 20 acres in Malibu, CA... yes, that same star-studded Malibu we all read about. He bought the property back in 1997, and is ONLY NOW finishing his home construction. The nightmares of Malibu City Planning Commission that he related to me was part of the impetus for me to avoid such BS in setting criteria for my property selection. Of course, given that I bought this property back in late 2005 and here in 2008 I am finishing Phase 1, my boss is a bit jealous. But then again, I do not have a vast Pacific Ocean view like he does!

And dont mention Deer to me please. The local herd round here has pushed my fence down twice this year.
Deer in Southern UK are now classed as vermin, same classification as Rats as there are so many of the buggers, but I cant shoot them unless they are on my property

Well, they are not quite at the vermin level where I am at in Colorado because of managed hunting. However, I had two run-ins (almost literally) with them on the roads at night. One was the classic "deer in the headlights" where two does stood in the road looking at me as I came at them. Neither case did I hit them. However, I am a hunter and the benefit for me would be that having state residency in Colorado it would be a WHOLE LOT cheaper to buy a deer tag than it would be as a non-resident. And I do like to eat venision every so often and my cousin makes some pretty good venison summer sausage! =P~

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:08 am

You Can Call Me Ray wrote:Well, they are not quite at the vermin level where I am at in Colorado because of managed hunting. However, I had two run-ins (almost literally) with them on the roads at night. One was the classic "deer in the headlights" where two does stood in the road looking at me as I came at them. Neither case did I hit them. However, I am a hunter and the benefit for me would be that having state residency in Colorado it would be a WHOLE LOT cheaper to buy a deer tag than it would be as a non-resident. And I do like to eat venision every so often and my cousin makes some pretty good venison summer sausage! =P~

Thats the contradiction here, whilst they are, in some places of the UK at vermin level, the price of Venison is still high.
One problem being that only licensed game dealers are allowed to sell the meat, and its really only logical to shoot them with a decent bore rifle (licences for which are nearly impossible to get now in the UK), so many farmers just shoot them and leave them in hedges to rot or give them to friends.
Personally I prefer wild rabbit or pigeons to eat, venison, like beef doesnt realy do much for me.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Summer 2009 - Interior Framing

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:10 pm

A couple pics of my "vacation" over the past 1.5 weeks.... HA! Most manual labor I have EVER done on ANY "vacation" in my life! :lol:

Here is a shot inside the completed steel building where we are just putting together the very first wall segment. Notice Chili Dawg, my Golden Retriever, acting as site supervisor!

Here is the main divider wall from another vantage point... getting close to completion:

And the main divider wall now complete:

I've got a few of the fully completed pics on my main camera that I have not pulled off yet. Will get a few of those up to show our quality craftsmanship in completing the rafters too.

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:41 am

Cool! Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?

By the way, did you make any progress on the wind turbine you mentioned you hoped to put up this summer?

Got some pics from my camping trip that one of my friends took… I’ll put them up tomorrow if I have time.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey how come I don't see the new avatar. Nice goin there Ray. Good luck with your UAV project.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Time for electrical rough-in

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu May 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Well, I am off for a week and a half of solo electrical rough-in at the Colorado ranch. Orignal plan was to have Dad and a cousin come out and help. Dad had to back out for health reasons, and cousin had to back out because he is now unemployed.

However, I have planned out all the circuit runs and breaker box, and the outlet boxes and ceiling lighting are already installed. So I am quite confident that even all by myself I can get all the wiring installed and tested before next Thursday. I've decided it is cheaper, for now, to tie into the grid and then develop my wind and solar offsets at a later time. By the end of this trip I should have all interior electrics done and a ground pole driven, so by the end of the summer I should be able to schedule a transformer drop at the edge of my property and then run the feed cables to my box.

By Christmas I am hoping to have a webcam going so I can monitor the winter snowfall from the comfy warmth of SoCal. :D Talk to you gents when I get home!
Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Next

Google

Return to Chit Chat