Russian bomber only seconds from my home!

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Russian bomber only seconds from my home!

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:44 am

Damn, maybe I should move house?

Russian jet flies within 90 seconds of Hull

A Russian nuclear bomber managed to get within 90 seconds of Hull in a mock attack as RAF radars failed to pick it up.

By Jessica Salter
Last Updated: 1:33PM BST 30 Sep 2008

The supersonic Blackjack changed course 20 miles from UK airspace, it has been reported.

The jet was picked up on RAF radars but only after it had turned back.

Critics of the Government’s cuts in defence spending say that they have left the country at risk. Four years ago four squadrons of Jaguar and Tornado F3 fighters were slashed from the RAF’s books.

In January it emerged that the Ministry of Defence will have to cut its budget by an extra £1.5 billion a year over the next three years, leaving the three armed forces vying with each other for the money.

The RAF is also expected to lose two of its frontline Tornado GR4 ground attack squadrons as part of cuts to existing forces.

A senior RAF pilot told The Sun: “The Russians made us look helpless. The Blackjack could have got even closer. It was a disaster — it basically gave the Russians the green light to fly wherever they want.”

Ministry of Defence officials confirmed the incident, but said the RAF had a “multilayered” approach to detecting and deterring enemy jets.

A spokesman said in a statement: “We are satisfied we have the flexibility to launch as many aircraft as the situation requires.”

It might go some way to explaining why there have been more fighters flying around at night in the airspace above Hull recently...

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Re: Russian bomber only seconds from my home!

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

But these mock attacks were completely normal in the 60's and 70's. What you dont hear about is that we do it to them all the time.

Anyway surely taking Hull out could only improve the scenery :twisted: though I have a little place in my heart for Cottingham (well the place is a bit lower down if ya get me drift)
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 am

Haha, Cottingham is literally just two minutes down the road from where I live.
I personally believe we did see it coming, but chose to release the news in this way in order to make the Russians appear even more dangerous and underhand (in the eyes of the public) than they already are.

I've heard it suggested that the pilot must have been an Arsenal fan. Seeing as Hull City beat the 'mighty' gunners on their own patch at the weekend -only the second club ever to do so at the Emirates I might add!- I wouldn't be surprised. Except for the annoying fact that this incident happened long before the match was ever played, that is ;)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:28 pm

My god man, does everything come down to sports with you? :)
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Looking at the larger picture of what is going on between the West and Russia these days, I can almost see a direct parallel with the tactics we used to break the USSR. The Soviets in Afghanistan and the drain on their economy to "keep up with our technology" (e.g. the B-2 stealth bomber is often quoted as one of the straws that broke their camel's back not to mention SDI) were two big tactics we used against them.

Today, they see the US stretched thin in Afghanistan (paybacks are a bitch!) and Iraq, and then you see the Russians cozying up to Iran (almost hoping we would strike there), and then their little Georgia escapade. Put that together with their forces going back to the cold war "teasing" missions such as the one Steve reports here, and to me it all adds up to them trying to do to the West exactly what we did to them. And as for the economic ploy, would there be a better time for them to ratchet-up our fear that we need to arm-up to defend against them?

But the reality of the Russian forces is much different, as Colin Bennett has documented elsewhere. Not only is their equipment old (most, but not all), but their manpower is waning.

The chess game continues! Now more than ever Western powers need to remain linked at the hip. And the addition of the now pro-Western former Soviet states of the eastern block really do help us, even if they strain relations with Mother Russia!

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:17 pm

ryguy wrote:My god man, does everything come down to sports with you? :)

Look just because you are a nation that plays a game called baseball, that is only played in this country by girls. (BTW do you know that baseball was invented n the UK???) and then play another game that you call football that isnt, and is played by a bunch of nancy boys with more padding on them than Dolly Parton's bra, is no reason to sling off at a nation of sportsmen like us !
True, we dont win much these days, but we play the games like gentlemen, allowing others to win so as not to upset them.

Now you jolly well go and wash your mouth out and stop being beastly to us people. Without us you'd all be eating onions and speaking French, so there :lol:
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Chorlton wrote:True, we dont win much these days, but we play the games like gentlemen, allowing others to win so as not to upset them.

Right...is that how the Brits slept at night after they lost their grip on the Colonies?

"Yeah mate, we "let" them win, because we're such jolly gentlemen. What's that? Tea time? Oi..."

:)
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby cybertron2006 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:46 pm

Who knows, maybe it's not the Russians controlling the jet. Maybe, it's them bloody ETs with their remotes that work on everything.
Michael Jackson isn't black OR white, he's an alien.
MY ROFLCOPTER GOES LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
[not a joke]Please buy 3-Hit-KO's Debut album, 24 Hours To Live, when we finish it![/not a joke]
cybertron2006

Google

Return to Chit Chat