John Carter of Mars

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

John Carter of Mars

Postby torbjon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 am

Far Freeking Out!!!!

I just learned that Pixar picked up and is in pre-production for one of my all time favoritest of favorites in the history of all time stories: the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs *dreamy*

Current scheduled release date is 2012

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

If a high quality Pixar production of good ol' Dator Sojat tromping around Barsoom on his thoat, lopping off the heads of Warhoons with his mighty Martian sword and blasting nasty ol' Calots with his radium pistol doesn't bring about the end of the world i don't know what would...

Is it 2012 yet??

what about now, are we there yet???

this is too freekin' cool.
he hee heeee

laters
twj
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: John Carter of Mars

Postby Access Denied » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Cool… I wasn’t familiar with this story but after a quick crash course on the web I’m surprised this one hasn’t been done yet… especially since it was written by the author of Tarzan. Of course the original premise is woefully out of date considering what we know about Mars now but still… should make for an epic flick.

Maybe it’s just me but it seems like it’s a been a while since I’ve seen a truly original sci-fi movie… lots of comic book stuff though. The last true sci-fi flick I can remember being blown away by was “Pitch Black”… the sequel “Chronicles of Riddick” was disappointing though… too much hocus pocus. :)

So what element of the story do you indentify with most?

I found this from the back cover of the first book “A Princess of Mars” which appears to be the one the movie will be based on…

http://www.johncarterofmars.com/

Think, of battling for a woman, beautiful as a houri, with Green Men of Mars, creatures fifteen feet high, limbs which will function either as legs or arms, of horses like dragons, and watchdogs like enormous frogs with, with ten legs. These are some of the extraordinary creatures of Mars. Only the man who created Tarzan, the Ape Man, could write so bold a story.

I can dig it… :)

Kind of reminds me of the Ray Harryhausen stop motion animation flicks I enjoyed as a kid like “Jason and the Argonauts” and “The 7th Voyage of Sinbad”.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Re: John Carter of Mars

Postby torbjon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Funny you should mention Harryhausen. He was the Second person to attempt to make a motion picture based on the John Carter series. The first was Bob Clampett (of warner bros. fame). Following Harryhausen Touchtone picked it up for a while, then dropped it off onto Paramount...

Disney picked it up last year and has passed it on to Pixar.

I feel that Clampett and Harryhausen would have done okay with it... especially Clampett as he was working closely with the Burroughs family during the initial stages of the project:

(footage from demo reels, 1936)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2ZdSbyHhQ

Pixar is the first studio since then that I feel can pull it off. I have faith in them. I doubt they will produce it if they can't "get it right", ya know? There are simply too many Burroughs fans world wide to run the risk of producing a lemon or less than stellar production of this. A flop on a branded and well known character like John Carter could hurt them... this ain't some Cars of Fish Flick kids movie, ya know?

Pick up a used copy of A Princess of Mars and read it *pokes* you'll Love it.

As far as how well it will "hold up" in regards to what we now know about mars, it will hold up just fine due to the nature of how he gets there:

The first chapter has John fleeing from some Indians somewhere in the untamed American West. He zips into a cave to hide from them... it is not clear then if he simply falls asleep, passes out from some strange gas in the cave, or actually Dies, but his transformation to Mars is more of a Spiritual / Metaphysical nature and not a "beam me up Scotty" type of thing. In many ways the first books lead us to believe that Barsoom is really John Carters version of "Heaven".

I'm surprised you haven't read them already... Action / Adventure aside, there's some Very Interesting "sci-fi" concepts and some fabulous social commentary that is still relative today... truly, pick up a copy and find the time if you can...

laters
twj
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Chit Chat