Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Postby Chorlton » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 am

So I was offered a copy of The film 'Avatar' yesterday and sat down to watch.
Though my daughter was enthused, I was sadly dissapointed.
As a technical example of how good CGI can be it was excellent.
As a film with a storyline it was rubbish.

If Cameron did indeed seek to make a film with a viable storyline, why did he waste minutes and minutes of time showing the flying sequences near the middle of the film. Why waste so much time in showing how good his monkeys can make CGI seem, when he could have, using those self same CGI geeks, have included a very plausibe storline, or at the very least, used more time at the beginning of the film to actually set the story up?

Or did he simply want to show how good he had become at directing CGI people rather than real actors and actresses?.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: Avatar

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Chorlton wrote:As a film with a storyline it was rubbish.

I couldn't agree with this statement any more fervently! The sterotypical "hard ass marine that eats bullets for breakfast" was so far over the top as to be comical. And then the invocation of the magic elment they were on the planet to mine.... "unobtanium"...was also patently stupid. Of course, those are merely nitpicks in the story, but I also agree that the overall flow of the storyline and its setup were weak, weak, weak!

Or did he simply want to show how good he had become at directing CGI people rather than real actors and actresses?.

Eye candy. Lots of eye candy. But realize that it was not solely CGI people. The innovation was that the people playing the blue monkeys were the REAL ACTORS doing that acting, while having all the gear attached to them to capture their body movements and their facial expressions. The tech wizardry was actually directing real, live actors, and then marrying that up to the CGI animations in such a way that it looked seamless. And in that respect, I think he succeeded very well.

My friends and I put this film in the category of the original Star Wars with respect to its advancement of the "eye candy" special effects. But when it comes to story line, Lucas did a MUCH better job with Star Wars than Cameron did with this one!

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Yes, I think the movie was created with the new popularity of 3D Imax theaters that are spreading across the country here in the U.S. at least. The whole flying sequence is clearly created with the 3D experience in mind.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:22 am

ryguy wrote:Yes, I think the movie was created with the new popularity of 3D Imax theaters that are spreading across the country here in the U.S. at least. The whole flying sequence is clearly created with the 3D experience in mind.

-Ry

Problem is, with only one active eye, 3D doesnt work for me at all

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby murnut » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:20 pm

The plot has a cowboy and indians genre.....bad cowboys, good indian.

Reminded me of Dances with Wolves
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Chorlton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:08 pm

To me it was just an egotistical trip into "see how great I am" by Cameron, same as Titanic.
Total waste of time.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby oboe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:52 am

I have not seen Avatar yet. How does it compare to that Indian Jones crystal skull movie? I wasn't all that impressed with it.
oboe
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:55 am

oboe wrote:I have not seen Avatar yet. How does it compare to that Indian Jones crystal skull movie? I wasn't all that impressed with it.

The 3D is pretty cool...but the movie is average without 3D

I liked Dr Jones better
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby pork » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 am

I thought IJ was lame. I liked Avatar...very egalitarian and new agey. Well meaning, but too preachy. I prefer actors,but not the drama they bring. I would love to read a nine page post as to what Dan thinks about it.
pork
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Google

Return to Chit Chat