Baseball and College Football

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Baseball and College Football

Postby Tim Hebert » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Curious, any baseball fans on this forum? I'm "cautiously" optimistic about the San Diego Padres, but their being swept by the Phillies this weekend has my "oh-crap" meter pinging at low-grade. Can't just depend on scoring just 1 to 2 runs a game. Giants just 5 games behind in the division.

College Football fans? Since we deal with alot of conspiracy theories on this site, can Boise State run the table and force the BCS to eat a "crap sandwitch?" The season starts this Thursday. Who is your favorite college team?

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Baseball and College Football

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Angels fan here. After being blessed enough to watch Angels playing in the playoffs for the last 4 years (even if they were always thwarted by those damn Red Sox!), it looks like Scoscia's squad won't be going anywhere this post season. I would actually rather see Padres go in the other league than either Dodgers or San Fran... so GO PADRES!

College football....well, the college I went to (Cal Poly, Pomona) was so crappy in the rankings that the year I was a freshman they canceled their football program. As such, I have been a lifelong Notre Dame fan, since my dad and my oldest brother went to that hallowed football institution (and sometimes school, with a little theology thrown in to make it look good). :)

I attend the Church Of The NFL. And without my own LA team to root for, I am fully backing the Chargers (yet again). Let's hope Philip Rivers can transition from "no losses in December" to "no losses in December AND January!"

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby murnut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 pm

The Phillies and Eagles are my teams.

I think the Phillies will be in the post season, the pitching has been real good, but the bats have been struggling.
They are tough to figure out, getting swept by the Astro's and then sweeping the Padres.

But if they get in the post season...look out.

The Birds are going to have a tough year, but I'm happy the cry baby McNabb is gone
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Ray, what happened to the Angels? They made the mid-season trades to combat the Rangers, but are coming up short.

Looks like Manny wore out his welcome with the Dodgers and is heading to the White Sox. Ozzie and Manny, should be a good circus to watch.

Padres have the pitching, but we need better run support. Can't always rely on your starting pitchers to consistantly hold 1 run leads, it catches up to you in the long run.

Andy, Phillies came out of their funk this weekend against the Padres. :( Hamel pitched a great game. Good timely hitting on the Phillies part and the Padres coughing up 4 errors helped.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby murnut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Hamels has pitched great almost all year, but the Phils just have not hit for him.

But I got to believe the hitting will pick up...and with Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels pitching...I like the Phils chances to make the playoffs.

They have had a lot of injuries and the bats are due to get hot
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08 am

Tim Hebert wrote:Ray, what happened to the Angels? They made the mid-season trades to combat the Rangers, but are coming up short.

Aye, the bats have been fairly silent, which has not been a big problem for this season, even after losing Kendry Morales to his freak broken leg (that loss really hurt the batting). However, the one constant problem all season has been our bullpen. It doesn't help having a fair stable of starters if relief comes in and blows their 7+ innngs of performance.

And the acquisitions have not really played out that well. Callaspo has not given us the oomph we expected from him. Peter Bourjous has been steller playing outfield, but needs to step up the bat with only a .195 average. But the biggest bugaboo for me recently is putting Napoli on waivers! The guy is a great catcher and one of the few catchers the Angels have had who has power behind his bat and enough home runs to prove his value...and so we go waiving him!

Usually I understand, and agree, with Scoscia's decisions, but the last few weeks have really got me wondering what is going on.

Good luck to your Padres and Andy's Phillies! NO MORE YANKEE CHAMPIONSHIPS!
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 pm

"Oh Crap!"

Padres have now dropped 7 games in a row. OK, one thing to be swept by the Phillies, but come on, to be swept by Arizona? It's getting now to the point that I'll have to remove all sharp objects near me for the rest of the season.

Colorado will be in this weekend...always a difficult team for the Pads.

Tim

BTW, college football kicks off this evening!
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 am

OK, its that time of year again...college football is soon to kick off. Again, as last year, who is your favorite team, and why. Questions to ponder:

1. Will Oklahoma go all the way, as they are ranked #1 in the nation.
2. Will Boise State pull off another Cinderella season?
3. Will Miami avoid NCAA's "death penalty"?

My wife is an Ohio State gal...any Michigan fans on the boards?

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:29 pm

My, my...it appears that my fellow American forum members have no opinion on college football. :? Ok...let's try a different approach...did you see anything paranormal-like, while watching your favorite college team play? Appalachian State's victory over Michigan 2 years ago may have fit this category...voodoo sacrifices before kickoff? :)

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 pm

hi guys. im a bit of a sports fan, but mainly english football (manchester united) but do watch a bit of other sport, boxing, tennis etc, but, (and im not trying to offend anyone) ive watched a few american sports on early am tv shows over the years and i can understand the excitement in basketball and american football etc but i have real questions over baseball.

i had always assumed baseball to be an exciting sport but then i sat down and watched a baseball show and i was dumbfounded at how boring it was!. pitcher stands staring at batsman for a long period of time, batsman stands staring back, pitcher eventually throws ball, batsman watches it pass, rinse and repeat until batsman finally decides to take a swing and then this whole situation happens again...

i was also dumbfounded that it ends up such a low scoring game.. but hardly surprised having seen how the game actually plays out.

again., im honestly not trying to offend im just curious, what am i missing?.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Rich, glad that you commented! Unfortunately it took an Englishman, rather than my U.S. forum members to comment concerning college football kickoff. :)

Yes baseball may seem boring to you, but at one time it defined America. BTW, some years ago, I was in London doing some business with the Ministry of Defense. While holed up in my hotel room, I turned on the television and there was a cricket game on...now that is an odd game for a Yank to behold! I did like the sweaters that the players were wearing. :) Baseball being low scoring?....at times, but there are other things that are going on:

1. Pitcher/batter duel
2. Sacrifice bunts, at times a dying art form, especially in the American League
3. The art of the hit and run
4. Interesting things happening in the stands, ie, San Diego/LA Dodger games, nothing like bringing out the gang banger in all of us!

Hate extra inning games, sat through a 17 inning game in San Diego, yes Padres lost...that was 5 hours of my life that was wasted and never to be retrieved.

Now for college football fans, I know that there has to be someone on the forum that is interested. Let me try another tract: Did you ever attend a college game and became stupefied/horrified that you may have actually saw a UFO, but only later realized that it was the GoodYear/Met Life blimp?

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm

hi tim.

i did have a liking for american football when i was i kid and had a dan marino miami dolphins kit and also a washington redskins kit but lost interest in all sport for many years due to a serious leg break as a child which meant non participation and lost interest so that was the end of that, and again i make the point, although i dont watch american football or basketball i can see the appeal, there's a lot happening in those games to like.

as for your mention of cricket... it really isn't a popular sport here compared to football and rugby, its a misconception by other countries that we like it. most normal cricket league games are empty of fans, its only international level that gets interest but thats mainly due to country rivalry with australia and also because the biggest cricket games are on when the football season is over so people watch it because there's nothing else.

test match cricket is very comparable to baseball imo, as not a lot happens, thats why they introduced 50/50 and 20/20 format so the game is played more attacking and at a much faster pace as they have less time to get runs, that was done to drum up interest...

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 pm

I lost interest in baseball when they had the last strike(which I helped facilitate). I do check the score of the Rays(thats St. Pete) games to see how their doing but thats it.
As for college football I've never had much interest even though my dad was a college ref. Did get to see a few games back in the day but I just never developed an interest. I think I may have seen a ufo at an Illinois game but it coulda just been an errant football.
Life long Minnesota Vikings fan though. Got hooked on em back in the sixties when they were the Purple People Eaters and been suffering since. First team to lose four super bowls? Vikings. Team who hasn't been back to the super bowl since the last loss? Vikings. Team who thought Bret Farve was its savior? Vikings. But hey ya take the good with the bad right?
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Chit Chat