Pick your TV character thread!

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Pick your TV character thread!

Postby m0r1arty » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:32 am

This post:

ryguy wrote:I apologize for being infuriatingly simple at times when I approach these topics - call me "Columbo" of the paranormal, I guess -


Inspired this thread.

It's a really simple, and even childish, idea; Which TV character are you and why?

I bagsy Quincy as played by Jack Klugman because he's a loud mouthed idiot with his head in the clouds of human rights and his feet on the ground of science and accountability.

Who do you claim and why?

-m0r

EDIT: No doublers!
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
User avatar
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby chrLz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:47 am

Snoopy of course!!

A vivid and rich imagination, but rooted firmly in historical fact and knowledge.

Fine grasp of prose, and the ability to turn a lovely phrase on occasion.. "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night.."

Strong links to aviation and Apollo (my pet subject) particularly:
Image

A pilot.. sorta - always wanted to be a pilot, but never quite got there. I would, however have no qualms about taking over the controls after the proverbial pilot's heart attack. I fly a very mean kennelsimulator..

And although on the Internet no-one knows you're a dog, Snoopy did once say "I ain't no stupid beagle". I elect to take that to mean he was not stupid...

Finally, I like snoopin' around, uncovering mysteries and turning them into the known...
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
User avatar
chrLz
Moderator
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Access Denied » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Who? Spock, defintely…

“Spock serves as both Science Officer and 1st Officer on the USS Enterprise, where his vast scientific expertise and coolly logical demeanor prove invaluable in many of the ship's adventures.”

8)

Why? As Leonard Nimoy put it, Spock is "struggling to maintain a Vulcan attitude, a Vulcan philosophical posture and a Vulcan logic, opposing what was fighting him internally, which was human emotion".
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Luck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:42 am

Emma Peel is mine.

She was one of the few female leads at the time on television who was smart, funny, stylish and could kick butt.
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
User avatar
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 am
Location: Midwest

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Access Denied » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 am

Oh that’s a good one…

In my defense my first instinct was Dana Scully.

[raises hand]

Mr. m0r, I have a question sir. Is this protected under the no doublers clause?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby m0r1arty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:39 am

Access Denied wrote:Mr. m0r, I have a question sir. Is this protected under the no doublers clause?


It's in the OP. I'd love to be Emma Peel too but what you dibs is what you get and no-one, not even you, can take that away from yourself.

So since she is unclaimed - Dana Scully, at this point, is still up for grabs.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
User avatar
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Luck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Access Denied wrote:Who? Spock, defintely…

“Spock serves as both Science Officer and 1st Officer on the USS Enterprise, where his vast scientific expertise and coolly logical demeanor prove invaluable in many of the ship's adventures.”

8)

Why? As Leonard Nimoy put it, Spock is "struggling to maintain a Vulcan attitude, a Vulcan philosophical posture and a Vulcan logic, opposing what was fighting him internally, which was human emotion".


Really? Not because of (or in addition to) the Vulcan nerve grip? AD, you need to live a little! #-o

m0r1arty wrote:It's in the OP. I'd love to be Emma Peel too but what you dibs is what you get and no-one, not even you, can take that away from yourself.


Yeah, what m0r said! =D> I call dibs on Mrs. Peel!!!! 8)

I am going to add another character. Mystery Theater did a reboot of Sherlock Holmes. I don't normally watch it, but the 3 SH episodes were very good. I will be nice tho and let him stay in the open pile, but if you guys haven't seen them, you should make an effort. 8)
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
User avatar
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 am
Location: Midwest

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Phew! I better hurry up and post before I lose my character... :shock:

I was pondering this one the other day and I kept coming up with the same three people, namely:
Sherlock Holmes, Jean-Luc Picard and good old James T. Kirk. But which one to choose? (Ignoring the fact that such a choice could hardly be considered modest...)

If I had never seen the newest Sherlock Holmes film, I would have probably gone for one of the great USS Enterprise captains above, but after seeing Robin Downey Jr's portrayal of the Victorian investigator par excellence, no one else really fits the bill ;)

Image

See what I mean? :) I love this new "fightier" version of Holmes. The fact that he isn't afraid to step into the ring with the supposed "big boys" and the way he pre-plans every aspect of his attack immediately prior to smashing his victim to the ground warms my heart ;) His ability at finding clues in the most unlikeliest of places is also something I [like to think] I share with him.

Don't take my word for it though...
Someone here wrote wrote:...some of the most confident "hackers" who believed they were acting anonymously have been tracked down by Steve. His technical network/internet abilities never cease to amaze me. He also has an uncanny ability to pull out obscure clues & evidence out of seemingly meaningless prose, emails, writings of others. A number of critical breakthroughs we had were due to that.


Someone else then wrote wrote:Doesn’t take BS from anybody… including us.


I believe modesty is another trait I share with the great Sherlock Holmes... lol!
.
Image
User avatar
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby ryguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm

Columbo is probably pretty accurate for me. Based on our past experiences dealing with both allies and enemies, and their tendency to incorrectly size me up (which is okay with me...) when Steve and I initially talk to them - that is why I went with Columbo. I'm pretty sure Steve would agree. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo_%28TV_series%29

"Lt. Columbo is a shambling, disheveled-looking, seemingly naive Italian American police detective who is consistently underestimated by his fellow officers and by the murderer du jour. The subjects of his investigations are initially both reassured and distracted by his circumstantial speech and increasingly irritating asides. Despite his unprepossessing appearance and apparent absentmindedness, he shrewdly solves all of his cases and secures all evidence needed for indictment. His formidable eye for detail and meticulous and dedicated approach only become apparent late in the storyline."

Steve, you are DEFINITELY the new version of Sherlock Holmes. haha!

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Access Denied » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 am

Thank you Mr. m0r for that swift and decisive ruling.

[kneels]

Luck wrote:Really? Not because of (or in addition to) the Vulcan nerve grip? AD, you need to live a little! #-o

Well there’s that but of course the human half of me was struggling to be more modest… :D

ryguy wrote:Columbo is probably pretty accurate for me.

But, but I practically handed you Scully on a silver platter. Read her characterization here and tell me that wouldn’t be a dream come true for you… 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Scully#Characterization

ryguy wrote:Steve, you are DEFINITELY the new version of Sherlock Holmes. haha!

Absolutely, except the real Holmes would never spell Robert Downey Jr’s name wrong… :P

[runs]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby m0r1arty » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 am

Sorry for the swift decisive ruling AD, but if we nip it in the bud early then we reduce the chance of it occurring later and potentially often too.

It's been established in a few of the original Sherlock Holmes stories that he was an expert "amateur" boxer as well as a dab hand at "baritsu" (possibly bartitsu in real life) and jujitsu as well as handling a variety of weapons Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett etc really never used these skills on camera So Mr. Jnr is giving an accurate portrayal of the original character.

I see Dana is still up for grabs!

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
User avatar
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby Zep Tepi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Where the hell did I get Robin from?!
It's clearly something to do with my old nemesis Moriarty. I know what you're up to "M0r"...

Indubitably.
.
Image
User avatar
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Access Denied wrote:
ryguy wrote:Columbo is probably pretty accurate for me.

But, but I practically handed you Scully on a silver platter. Read her characterization here and tell me that wouldn’t be a dream come true for you… 8)


I've read more about the character (I honestly never watched x-files....I know, don't shoot me) - but yes...

Throughout the series, her Catholic faith served as a cornerstone, although at times a contradiction to her otherwise rigid skepticism of the paranormal. Due to her career in science and medicine, she drifted from her Catholic upbringing but remained somewhat entrenched in her religious beliefs.


....I guess it's a perfect match.

Thanks for letting me have it. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 pm

well even though shes female and not a character as such, i guess i would have to pick the one and only judge judy scheindlin because shes wise, logical and sees straight through everyone's bs stories and gets to the truth!.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
User avatar
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Pick your TV character thread!

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Haha - my favorite Judge Judy line: "Excuse me - do I have STUPID written across my forehead??"
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Next

Google

Return to Chit Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron