The Google Maps conspiracy

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

The Google Maps conspiracy

Postby calcoastseeker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 am

Google Maps had the ability to look at cities and neighborhoods for house for sale,for rent and even in foreclosure.

Using this one could actually see how bad the foreclosure crisis in the U.S. actually is.

There are many communities where foreclosures are over 30 per cent.

On 29 February Google removed this ability.

Did the government ask them to?
calcoastseeker

Re: The Google Maps conspiracy

Postby ryguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Weird - no explanation from Google for doing so?
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby m0r1arty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 am

I'd really like to see sources for this.

The 29th February thing on an odd numbered year is really ringing alarm bells for me.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby chrLz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:59 am

Where did your information come from, cal? Maybe this is what you are referring to (- I believe this is a genuine site.. :D but haven't really dug around in depth..)

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2011/01/retiring-real-estate-on-google-maps.html

It sounds to me as if it was an experiment essentially using google classifieds as the source, and it simply failed to garner much interest or atrract other providers to supply the necessary data. To be of any use as a statistical tool it would have to be integrated in some way to 'real', comprehensive and properly collated and checked data, and I'm guessing that would be government lands title - ish data. Unlikely to happen, imo.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby ryguy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Yeah, Google is constantly doing experimental projects like that where they'll pull it quickly after it doesn't get much interest. Very annoying though, there were a few projects I really fell in love with and the next thing you know it's in the trash bin.
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Chit Chat