Lonelygirl15 outed

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Lonelygirl15 outed

Postby Hidden Hand » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:08 pm

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2006/09/l ... remsk.html

it didn’t take long before word starting spreading that Lonelygirl15 was not a home-schooled 16-year-old girl named Bree but instead was an actress named Jessica Rose, who recently moved from New Zealand to Burbank, Calif.

The major credit for this find goes to one Matt Foremski, the 18-year-old son of Silicon Valley Watcher blogger Tom Foremski, a former Financial Times journalist. Matt set up a special website, LG15.com , to show the world his findings, and his dad Tom helped expose his son’s work on Silicon Valley Watcher.

I’ll turn over this blog post now to Matt Foremski, who will explain how he cracked the case:

I was surfing the article on Lonelygirl15 on TMZ.com when I came across a comment that linked to a private MySpace page that was allegedly that of the actress who plays Lonelygirl15. As the profile was set to
“private,” there was no real info one could glean from the page. However, when I queried Google for that particular MySpace user name, “jeessss426,” I found a Google cache from the page a few months ago when it was still public.

A lot of the details of the girl’s background clicked for me: She was an actress from a small city in New Zealand who had moved to Burbank recently to act. The name on the profile was “Jessica Rose.” When next I happened to query Google image search for “Jessica Rose New Zealand” I was instantly rewarded with two cached thumbnail photos of Lonelygirl15, a.k.a. Jessica Rose, from a New Zealand talent agency that had since removed the full size versions. A later search on Yahoo on “jeessss426” also turned up a whole load of pictures from her probably forgotten ImageShack account.

UPDATE 2: The jig is up completely as the New York Times and Los Angeles Times ran in-depth reports on the folks behind the cameras who tried in vain to keep their identities a secret. A nice line from the NY Times report:

The story of how Mr. Flinders, Mr. Beckett [the creators] and Ms. Rose were discovered in spite of their efforts to hide, and prolong the mystery, sheds light on the nature of online wiki-style investigations and manhunts.

Some interesting points in the LA Times article include that the trio of filmmakers used a shoestring budget to make the series, “Two desk lamps, one broken, an open window and a $130 camera.” The creators said that they changed the storyline based on comments from fans on message boards, but were unprepared for the investigative strength of fans who were seeking their identities.

“Our hats are off to the really impressive investigators,” LG15 co-creator Greg Goodfried told the LA Times. “We really didn’t know what to do.”

NY Times article

wikipedia page - Exposing the Hoax

LA Times interview with filmmakers
It turns out the people behind the wildly popular video blog lonelygirl15 are not studio executives, Internet moguls or, as some suspected, Satanists. Instead, they are aspiring filmmakers who met at a mutual friend's birthday party in April: Miles Beckett, 28, a Web-obsessed medical school dropout; Mesh Flinders, 26, a screenwriter; and Greg Goodfried, a 27-year-old lawyer. {snip}

"We did this with zero resources. Anybody could do what we did," Flinders said Tuesday. The sum total of the equipment they used to create a sensation on the Internet, as well as perhaps the web's biggest homegrown mystery: "Two desk lamps (one broken), an open window and a $130 camera."

{my emphasis above}
Is this a private fight, or can anyone join in?
Hidden Hand
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Shawnna » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:39 am

deleted
Last edited by Shawnna on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Hidden Hand » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:03 am

<:roflmao:>

just doin' my job
Is this a private fight, or can anyone join in?
Hidden Hand
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Shadow Watcher » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:27 am

Please, give me a clue?
I know not about this scandal for which you speak.
signed: confused

edit: Ok, I went there and watched some clips. Kinda boring, I guess the obsession stems from sexuality? Why do people care about her and her videos?
wondering what the next serpo will be in 07.
Shadow Watcher
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Google

Return to Chit Chat