U.S. Election Day 2006 !!!

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

U.S. Election Day 2006 !!!

Postby ryguy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:52 pm

Just a reminder to all of you living within the U.S. - today is election day!

Voting is part of the foundation of America - and many, many brave men and women have struggled, marched, protested, fought, and died for that right. It is a right directly tied to freedom and our independance from any form of oppression.

We make our voice heard on forums, we speak up for what we believe in - I encourage each one of you, within the U.S. to get out there and make sure that those who are supposed to be representing the people actually do represent you and what you believe in.

For the left wing: http://www.michaelmoore.com/

For the right wing: http://www.rushonline.com/index.html

And for everyone in between - visit your state government website to research your candidates and issues that will be on the ballot.

Then get out there and make sure you let the government know how you feel. Get out there and vote.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby dankk » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Looks like the democrats won the house and the senate. They are still counting it up, but that is the projection thus far.

In my state, the governor I voted for won. So I am happy with that. :)
dankk
Banned

Postby dankk » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:08 pm

BTW, what is your affiliation Ry?

Are you registered as a Dem, Rep, Independent, or Libertarian?

I am a registered as Rep, but lean more towards libertarian...

Dankk

ps. for those of you that dont know, libertarian doesnt mean a liberal democrat. ;)
dankk
Banned

Postby ryguy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:31 pm

Thanks for asking Dankk... Well...funny story.

I started life born a Democrat. :) My dad was a die-hard democrat his whole life - he hated the rich Republicans. I grew up, went to college, started to have debates with the FAR left-wing feminists and tried hanging with the left-wing crowd, and realised that the left-wing was not where I wanted to be...disgreed with many of their opinions on ethical/family values...

So I ended up getting angry with some of them and went way over to the other side - I registered Republican, listened to Rush Limbagh (and loved every minute of it - at the time), cursed the feminists and the whole low-life unethical idiotic democratic party.

2000 - voted for Bush and fought with anti-Bush left-wingers at work. By 2003, after watching big business and corporations get handouts from the government while people were getting laid off from work, losing their pensions, struggling just to pay for health care....I started getting more angry at the Republicans than I was at the liberals.

By 2004, and after watching Michael Moore's "Farenhiet 9-11" about 20 times...I helped campaign against Bush in 2004. I wanted him OUT about as bad as anything else... His family connections to the Saudi Royal family, the fact that they flew "certain" Saudis out of the country while ALL flights were grounded.....well...I could go on for pages - the point is - it was more than obvious to me that we had let the rich, powerful elite into the white house and they were milking the government, and the country for every last penny (and Iraq for that matter....don't get me started on that...)

Now? Well...this election was time to kick out the Republican majority and deal a blow to the corporate elite. Not that the Democrats are much better, but they are better (in that respect). Next step - 2008....I plan to register as independent. No more party affiliation for me.

SHORT answer to your question (too late for that now I guess...lol) - I'm a dead-on-center moderate, through and through. I can't stand the far left OR the far right.

So there you have it. ;)

-Ry

p.s. - Rush should be shot for making fun of Michael J. Fox. Fox is an icon for an entire generation...you don't mess with Michael J. Fox. Well...I guess they realize that now. Yo Rush....who's laughing now? LOL
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby dankk » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm

A few things...

That Farenhiet 9-11poor excuse for a film by michael moore was torn to shreds piece by piece. The was so much mis information in that film that there was even another film made to explaini all the flaws in MM's film. I watched the MM film as well. It looked good on the surface, but a little digging and watching the rebuttal film helped put it all into perspective.

My family is split, some Dem, some Rep....

I am seriously considering going to register on paper as a libertarian. I will need to read up on what the affiliation currently embraces before I make that step. If it isnt up to snuff, then I will likely go it as an Independant as well.

The only reason that I voted for G. Bush in 2004 was because I dont think we would be here today if that Kerry Ketchup moron made it into office. I was literally scared for the future of the country and our well-being as a nation of kerry would have won.

Too far to either side of the political scale is a bad thing. I am not dead center of the scale.. There is no way I could be. I am too passionate about certain subjects to be centered as you are. I am somewhat to the right.. I am a 'conservative lite' lololol

There are corporate elites on both sides of the parties Ry. Basically when it comes to voting, I dont vote for the better of the two contenders that stand a chance to win. I vote for the least corrupted. That is sad really... That one would have to make a choice between the lesser of two evils. But there, by the time a candidate makes it to a presidential nomination and, is no such thing as the better person anymore. No presidential nominee was ever voted in by doing the "right" thing, by being a person for the people. Talk is cheap and actions speak volumes.

Dankkster
dankk
Banned

Postby kiwicocky » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:08 am

Do you have to register AS a Rep, Dem, Lib, Independent prior to being able to vote?

Or have I read that wrong?

Down here you just have to register - then you go vote for whoever you want to. You can of course join a party if you want to - and no doubt pay for the privilege.
kiwicocky
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby dankk » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:37 am

Correct me if I am wrong here Ry...

In order to vote in the primaries, you must be affiliated with the political party that your candidate is running for. Once you progress to the general elections, you can vote for any affiliation.

Basically, what I am saying is the political party you choose to be a part of in writing with your signature is restrictive of the person you vote for in the primaries. Example: If one is a Democrat, that person cannot vote in the primarties for anyone other than Democrat noiminees/candidates on the primary ballot. This is to narrow it down to one candidate. After the primaries, anyone voting in the general election can vote across the board, regardless of affiliation to a particular politcal group.

to give another example. I am considering to change my status from Republican to Libertarian. If there are no Libertarian candidates on the primary ballots, then I cannot legally vote until the general election comes up. Because of this, most people dont want to sway from the two main parties. Otherwise, they wont be able to take part in who gets voted in as the main candidate for the two main parties. Those two main parties are Dem and Rep.

I hope that helps you. :)

~Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby I.P.Freely » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:41 am

dankk wrote:Looks like the democrats won the house and the senate. They are still counting it up, but that is the projection thus far.

In my state, the governor I voted for won. So I am happy with that. :)

Oh well where I live we dont have govenors we let bad actors run the goverment instead.
"You can either trust people or not. I choose to trust what people say and sometimes I get lied to. If I were to trust no one I would never hear the truth." - James (IPF) Martell
I.P.Freely
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:51 am

I.P.Freely wrote:
Oh well where I live we dont have govenors we let bad actors run the goverment instead.

haha!! I was just waiting for him to lose just to hear him, at his speech conceding the governorship, say: "Well folks, I lost...but....OWWL BEE BAWK"

:)

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:55 am

dankk wrote:Correct me if I am wrong here Ry...

In order to vote in the primaries, you must be affiliated with the political party that your candidate is running for. Once you progress to the general elections, you can vote for any affiliation.

Yeah - that's how I understand it. You can only vote in the primaries if you are registered with a party (to choose the party candidate) - as you've described above. I registered Republican and stayed Republican simply because I was afraid if I switched to Democrat - my vote would get "lost". lol....

Also - it's nice to be able to vote in the primaries of the party that you oppose. ;)

Kiwi - as far as your question - do we have to register with a party... no. That's what we consider an "independant". No party affiliation. So when I said "register as Independant" - it actually means disassociating from all parties. You certainly don't have to be a member of any party to vote here in the U.S... you just gotta be an American citizen. :)

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby I.P.Freely » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:01 am

Dankk was there an election in 2004 all I remember was Kerry taking a dive for his fellow skull and bones brother Bush. Now I you truely want to vote for a man who is a good honest person who wants to make the world a better place you should take the time and check out John Edwards . Can,t hurt to see what he is about you may thank me.

As far is Bush is concerned I,d like to give him a 1 way ttcket to the Hauge . How much you want to bet he never leaves the us after 2008 for fear of arrest.

And my view on party control is President of one party and congress and senate of the other is the way to go.
"You can either trust people or not. I choose to trust what people say and sometimes I get lied to. If I were to trust no one I would never hear the truth." - James (IPF) Martell
I.P.Freely
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby kiwicocky » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 am

Thanks for explaining how it works Dankk and Ry.

Sounds a bit stacked towards maintaining a 2 party race though, which is a pity.

So if you are Independent you can't vote in the primaries?

IPFreely said
And my view on party control is President of one party and congress and senate of the other is the way to go.

It will be interesting to see this in action.

We have 'MMP' - proportional representation, which forces them to be a bit more flexible as they never know who they might need to help them out down the track a bit. Also allows the little fellas to have seats in Parliament and keep everyone honest - weeelll ....
kiwicocky
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby MikeJamieson » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:59 am

I.P.Freely wrote:Dankk was there an election in 2004 all I remember was Kerry taking a dive for his fellow skull and bones brother Bush. Now I you truely want to vote for a man who is a good honest person who wants to make the world a better place you should take the time and check out John Edwards . Can,t hurt to see what he is about you may thank me.

As far is Bush is concerned I,d like to give him a 1 way ttcket to the Hauge . How much you want to bet he never leaves the us after 2008 for fear of arrest.

John Edwards! So far, here in Reno I have met--up close and personal--John
Edwards and Tom Vilsack. And, soon, the rest of the crowd of Democrats.
(Since Iowa and Nevada start the nomination process, ahead of the
New Hampshire primary.) I met Edwards and Vilsack during the home
stretch of this last campaign.

In person, Edwards has a strong magnetic appeal. Sorta like Elvis. I like
him and his wife Elizabeth a lot.

I'm probably supporting the most moderate of them all, Evan Bayh of
Indiana. With Bill Richardson as my second choice. Both can draw
impressive amount of Republican and independent support. And, have
the best resumes to be President among everyone on both sides.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby I.P.Freely » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 am

MikeJamieson wrote:
I.P.Freely wrote:Dankk was there an election in 2004 all I remember was Kerry taking a dive for his fellow skull and bones brother Bush. Now I you truely want to vote for a man who is a good honest person who wants to make the world a better place you should take the time and check out John Edwards . Can,t hurt to see what he is about you may thank me.

John Edwards! So far, here in Reno I have met--up close and personal--John
Edwards and Tom Vilsack. And, soon, the rest of the crowd of Democrats.
(Since Iowa and Nevada start the nomination process, ahead of the
New Hampshire primary.) I met Edwards and Vilsack during the home
stretch of this last campaign.

In person, Edwards has a strong magnetic appeal. Sorta like Elvis. I like
him and his wife Elizabeth a lot.

I'm probably supporting the most moderate of them all, Evan Bayh of
Indiana. With Bill Richardson as my second choice. Both can draw
impressive amount of Republican and independent support. And, have
the best resumes to be President among everyone on both sides.

If you take a few minutes to check out his web site and see what he stands for and why I think you would be impressed.
I.P.Freely
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby MikeJamieson » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 am

Hi IPF, yes I've been to Edwards' site. Like what he is doing alot.

Yes, he is a good person. Sure is going to be fun here in Nevada over
the next twelve months.....as all these guys and gals come a'courting.

Evan Bayh has promised he will be coming to Reno. He told me he
couldn't make it up during his last trip (to Las Vegas, campaigning for
Dina Titus).
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Google

Return to Chit Chat