Flowing Water on Mars

Anything and everything else

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Flowing Water on Mars

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:15 pm

I've just been watching the NASA press conference regarding their discovery that suggests water has been flowing on the surface of Mars recently!

Images taken durng the Mars Global Surveyor Mission document many locations on the surface of Mars that show evidence of very recent liquid water activity in the region. Scientists had long thought that liquid water last flowed on Mars millions of years ago.

The implications of this discovery are enormous, with the possibility of life on Mars coming ever closer to reality. Wow!

New Gully Deposit in a Crater in the Centauri Montes Region

Read the story at NASA's website here.

Cheers,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby I.P.Freely » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:09 pm

Wow now that is something Water=microbes wouldn,t you think.
"You can either trust people or not. I choose to trust what people say and sometimes I get lied to. If I were to trust no one I would never hear the truth." - James (IPF) Martell
I.P.Freely
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Shadow Watcher » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:33 am

In that 7 year period between 99 and 06, not only was there evidence of liquid water, there was also evidence of meteoric strikes that may help determine the age of the surface of mars. If the crater surface isn't really ancient, perhaps the surface was more earth like with water and a different atmosphere. The implications are staggering.
wondering what the next serpo will be in 07.
Shadow Watcher
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby I.P.Freely » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:50 am

Well imagine there could have been quite alot of life on mars before it lost its magnetic field .
"You can either trust people or not. I choose to trust what people say and sometimes I get lied to. If I were to trust no one I would never hear the truth." - James (IPF) Martell
I.P.Freely
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Serpentime » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:22 am

Very interesting...

But not totally shocking (IMHO).

~All that we ever learn continues to remind us that the Cosmos is "chock-full" of strange surprises.

Apparently, the Universe knows itself a lot better than we do... LOL

Kind'a makes you wonder what kind of living things might be swimming around under Europa's*** ice-pack, too... :)

Serpentime

*** Jupiter's moon.
"Life's fantasy... To be locked away, and still to think you're free."

-- Ronnie Dio
Serpentime
Valued Contributor

Postby dankk » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:36 am

Serpentime wrote:Kind'a makes you wonder what kind of living things might be swimming around under Europa's*** ice-pack, too... :)

Yes! Now THAT would be quite the find! I personally believe that chances for life under the surface there has about as good a chance as any. I would just LOVE to see something going on with regards to Europa. It would be truly fascinating!

~Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby Serpentime » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:43 am

dankk wrote:I personally believe that chances for life under the surface there has about as good a chance as any. I would just LOVE to see something going on with regards to Europa.

Then again, it may all depend on the oxygen-content (?) of the water...

Remember that -- on Earth -- all higher Animal life-forms depend on free oxygen molecules to provide them with the energy required to metabolize organic nutrients.

Without free oxygen, the chances of "advanced" life (as we know it) evolving there may be somewhat limited (?)

It took billions of years for microscopic algae to physically change Earth's atmosphere through Photosynthesis (CO2 in; O2 out...).

Without their "table-setting" opening act, you or I never would have evovled at all.

While there seems to be plenty of Energy present on Europa (and in the Jovian System, itself), I wouldn't be able to bet on the probability of Photo-synthetically oxygenated water, though. :(

Too dark there (under the ice), probably...

Just a thought,

Serpentime
"Life's fantasy... To be locked away, and still to think you're free."

-- Ronnie Dio
Serpentime
Valued Contributor

Google

Return to Chit Chat