New Guy...

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

New Guy...

Postby pctoolbin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Ok, so I've lurked for quite a while (year to year and a half I think)....and finally decided to just say "hi". I've lurked reading the main articles per se, not specifically in the forums....and it's for this reason I am beginning to read the forums more and more and why I ask this:

What I am trying to gather (in reading through the forums) is whether or not people here generally believe in UFOs and the paranormal or if it's purely a 'debunkers' site. Or a site where folks are simply fed up with the current "UFOlogy" group of folks who seem to have made the search for the truth a carnival instead of "respectable". So far, I am trying to make my own mind up as to how you folks believe (as a whole moreso than individually).

I ask sincerely and not wanting to get anyone on the defensive. I've heard a lot about the very suspect aspects of the OM forums and it's posters (real or otherwise)....and beginning to read similar things about the ATS site....frankly this site, is one of the few I can access at work. Sssshhhhh! :wink: In any case...thank you for being true "searchers" in that things are most definitely not accepted just because someone says so.....I value that approach from believers and non-believers alike.

As for me, I am a believer in alien life "out there" as well as some paranormal aspects. I am just a regular guy with an interest in these things but definitely don't believe much of what I read....I prefer things to be treated with scrutiny and as if it were being put to the "court of law" test when it comes to whether something is "believable" or not. I am prior Air Force (Security Forces)...and currently work in the IT realm. Not sure what else folks would like to know but that's the very brief cliff-notes version.

Thank you for your time.
pctoolbin

Re: New Guy...

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Welcome pctoolbin!

pctoolbin wrote: So far, I am trying to make my own mind up as to how you folks believe (as a whole moreso than individually).

Don't take this the wrong way, but... I am wondering why people feel a need to group others into a "one size fits all" category? As you indicated in the above, there is the distinct possibility that there are individuals here who do not subscribe to some overarching "theme" of the host website/forum.

I think you will find (if I know Ryan, Steve, and Tom well at all) that they will tell you that there are all types here...from the rabid debunkers to the dyed-in-the-wool true believers who will never listen to reason...and everything in between.

If there is one overall theme you can capture about this site, I would say that the site and its Admins do NOT push any single agenda... other than truth via evidence.

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Welcome Sir.
IMHO this site has as many believers as dissbelievers, however, in respect to the dissbelievers we have a little more going for us in the pure and complete lack of any empirical evidence of UFO's. The problem for the believers is the sheer amount of hoaxes which are now being perpetrated on the unsuspecting world, many of which are incredibly convincing.
Post your ideas, lets hear them.
Me? Im a dyed in the wool dissbeliever. I would probably even dissbelieve if one of the buggers landed in my garden.
But I'm always interested in anything new.
Just dont say "Hey you guys know something happened at Rosswell, Right" and youll be OK here. :D :D
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby murnut » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

pctoolbin wrote: where folks are simply fed up with the current "UFOlogy" group of folks who seem to have made the search for the truth a carnival instead of "respectable". So far, I am trying to make my own mind up as to how you folks believe (as a whole moreso than individually).

This sums it up for me.

I'm extremely dissatisfied with the current state of ufology....while at the same time...I had my own daylight close up sighting of something in 1972
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby pctoolbin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am too used to sites having a "one-sided" agenda, and guess my inability to nail down my opinion here, means if there's both sides of the coin here (and those "in between") *AND* they can co-exist peacefully *AND* it's about finding the truth, then it's a decent place to be.....

I look forward to reading more and hopefully participating more as well. I've had my own personal experiences in the "UFO/alien" realm as well as the paranormal, but.....with no "proof" to show others, it seems I am like most of those in the UFOlogy field.....a believer with zero TANGIBLE evidence....I can only offer "opinion" at this point....

Chorlton wrote:Just dont say "Hey you guys know something happened at Rosswell, Right" and youll be OK here. :D :D

Don't worry about that, LOL....but I get where you're coming from....if I've lurked for a year or more, then that should give you an indicator of my desire not to speak up much anyways....let alone a comment like the one you gave as an example. I have my opinions....I have my "desires" for what I would like to see proof of.....but I won't go off and tout anything as 'fact' unless I have some facts to back it up. I was a prior cop in the AF... think "just the facts ma'am" and despite what I believe, I feel I always try and fall back on Occam's Razor train of thought....often with the idea that just because something is unidentified doesn't make it alien....

In any case, I've read some of your posts and despite your brashness, I see someone who simply wants to keep to the facts....and I can respect that. I don't mind being wrong if something is proven to me......what I don't like is the idea that someone might be hopping around in the background going "I told you so, I told you so...." LOL Hope you aren't one of "those" people. :wink:
---
And again, those those who replied, thank you for the welcome and answers...
pctoolbin

Postby murnut » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:10 pm

I don't have any proof to offer up either....but I am less concerned about proving my experience as real to others.
Some in the ufo community I feel want something called "disclosure" to prove to the "naysayers" that ufo's are real as some sort of vindication.

That's not what I'm interested in.....I looking to make sense out of something that appears to make little sense, once you get beyond a few of the most basic questions.
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:37 pm

pctoolbin - thanks for coming out of lurk mode. We've noticed a lot of folks lurking and it's nice lately that people are starting to feel comfortable participating a bit. So - a belated welcome to RU. :)

pctoolbin wrote:What I am trying to gather (in reading through the forums) is whether or not people here generally believe in UFOs and the paranormal or if it's purely a 'debunkers' site.

Well - because we are "passionate about the truth," and we're trying to keep out the "nut" factor by requiring evidence for any extreme claims (like that you have an alien buddy in your bedroom, for example) - well that requirement has led us to get classified as a "debunker" site. The truth is, you'll find that even some of the most vocal skeptics (Chorlton included) have had their own strange experiences. I've found that people classified as "skeptics" often have had those experiences, but they hold on to them as strange experiences that have no explanation....yet. They are here because they are searching for answers, and refuse to prematurely draw conclusions.

I think a lot of the animosity that you may notice from the more die-hard "skeptics" is their disgust with people who so quickly and flippantly draw all sorts of insane and erroneous conclusions about their experiences.

So, in an effort to be succinct (because I'm often accused of being "wordy"...lol) - the answer to your question is this: We tend to all accept that humanity doesn't have everything figured out yet - there are always new discoveries to be had on the horizon.... But we would like to keep the path to those discoveries related to those "strange" experiences free from delusional and ludicrous diversions. We are all truth-seekers who are sick of the mental illness and delusion that has so thoroughly infected Ufology (and the overall study of the paranormal).

Or a site where folks are simply fed up with the current "UFOlogy" group of folks who seem to have made the search for the truth a carnival instead of "respectable". So far, I am trying to make my own mind up as to how you folks believe (as a whole moreso than individually).

Very well said. :)

In any case...thank you for being true "searchers" in that things are most definitely not accepted just because someone says so.....I value that approach from believers and non-believers alike.

Wonderful - in that case you will fit in and be very welcomed here.

As for me, I am a believer in alien life "out there" as well as some paranormal aspects.

Same here.

I am prior Air Force (Security Forces)...and currently work in the IT realm. Not sure what else folks would like to know but that's the very brief cliff-notes version.

Thank you for your time.

Very cool - thanks again for jumping in and posting. Given the tone and intelligence of your first post, I sense that you'll do quite well here.

Again - welcome to RU. :)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby pctoolbin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Thank you for the explanation and welcome ryguy! And I fully understand about being accused of being too wordy... LOL....my fiancee and I are generally accused often of being too wordy as well. =D>
pctoolbin

Google

Return to New Members