G'day from Surfers Paradise

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

G'day from Surfers Paradise

Postby chrLz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Well, I live close to Surfers.. :D Sounds better than just 'Hi from Orstralia'..

Yes, another former ATSer, looking for something that is improving, rather than going down the plughole, coriolisly backwards... And this place looks good!!! I hope I can add to it..

Briefly...(and I'm NEVER brief, so be warned!), here's a picture of me:
- mid-aged :D
- former long-time manager of a marine research centre (yet no formal science qual's..? - it's a long story, and no I didn't lie on my resume!) - that was the best job in the world, by the way!!
- former IT manager (most interesting job was deploying the Internet to remote indigenous communities), but now don't like where Vista/7 etc is heading, so glad I'm out..
- very keen photographer (used to do weddings and portraiture (all on film) in my youth, now just a hobby - mainly digital and involving large panoramas) who just loves to analyse images and identify 'issues'
- a lover of astronomy, but sadly a bit too lazy to put my photography hobby together with it..
- a teacher of astronomy, photography/digital imaging (adult-education level) and IT (Diploma level)
- a lover of investigating (and hopefully solving :)) things
- highly interested in proper UFO analysis, believer in ET but not ETH (does that make sense? what I mean is I think he's so far away we probably won't ever be saying hello.. love to be wrong tho!)
- a proud (but young-ish!!) grandad

You may have bumped into me on ATS and BAUT, or even on GLP (under a short, but uplifting name)... Yes, I admit it, I was on GLP for a while, sadly.. Indeed that's where I sorta got interested in the idea of investigating and debunking stuff on the InterWeb. It all started with Nancy Lieder (groan) - I read a plaintive forum post by someone getting sucked in by her insanity, and saying how she had told her kids... (examples here:
http://www.skepticalmind.com/personal_stories.html )
I was absolutely mortified to see that sort of thing, and spent some time going through the process of explaining why they were *not* going to get wiped out in 2003...

Anyway, enough waffle. You know enough..! Look forward to contributing to the cause.

Cheers!

PS - It's strange, I feel eerily at home here.. I almost feel like I have met some of the posters here, perhaps in a former life... 8)
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Re: G'day from Surfers Paradise

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Welcome to RU, chrlz!

chrLz wrote:Well, I live close to Surfers.. :D Sounds better than just 'Hi from Orstralia'..

PS - It's strange, I feel eerily at home here.. I almost feel like I have met some of the posters here, perhaps in a former life... 8)

You may well have indeed done that in my case! I have spent a good deal of time in and around Surfers, Beenleigh, and Currumbin in my various trips to Oz. On my longest trip there (couple months) I lived on Chevron Island with a couple friends of mine named Vaughn & Monica, and dated their roommate Donna (oh man, she was one awesome woman!). Unfortunately, in the intervening years I have lost touch with them... and wish I could re-establish contact, but I can't find them! :(

Anyway, welcome to the forum matey! Hope you enjoy your stay,
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Welcome to the site chrLz!

chrLz wrote:Well, I live close to Surfers.. :D Sounds better than just 'Hi from Orstralia'..

Yes, another former ATSer, looking for something that is improving, rather than going down the plughole, coriolisly backwards... And this place looks good!!! I hope I can add to it..

From your initial post, I'm sure you can. :)

Briefly...(and I'm NEVER brief, so be warned!), here's a picture of me:
- mid-aged :D
- former IT manager
- a lover of astronomy,
- a lover of investigating (and hopefully solving :)) things
- highly interested in proper UFO analysis, believer in ET but not ETH (does that make sense? what I mean is I think he's so far away we probably won't ever be saying hello.. love to be wrong tho!)
- a proud (but young-ish!!) grandad

Heh, snap on ALL of the above :shock:

I think you'll fit right in here :)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:25 pm

You Can Call Me Ray wrote:Welcome to RU, chrlz!

Thanks!!

You may well have indeed done that in my case! I have spent a good deal of time in and around Surfers, Beenleigh, and Currumbin in my various trips to Oz.

:o Crikey, it's a small world, mate! Let's just say that those latter locations are ones I spend a lot of time in! Actually spent most of my life in South Australia, though..

On my longest trip there (couple months) I lived on Chevron Island

While I'm not at all fond of the skyscrapered and overrun centre of Surfers, I think CI is a really nice little 'enclave'.

Don't know any Vaughn's, Monica's or Donna's hereabouts, but it sounds like I should keep an eye out for the last one.. :D
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby chrLz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:Welcome to the site chrLz!

More thanks!

From your initial post, I'm sure you can. :)

Hmm.. I guess that means you either:
- are referring to this thread, and you believed all I said above... :D
(actually it's all true - go on, ask me a question about temperate marine species in southern Australia, or how to set up a large seawater aquarium.. I'm sure that stuff will be handy here..! :? )
- or you read my other post on the 'double-exposed' image
(that's the sort of stuff I love to do, even though that image didn't seem to have an awful lot to do with ufo's, despite the Rendlesham name being mentioned..)

...Heh, snap on ALL of the above :shock:
I think you'll fit right in here :)

At last, I think I've found my home! :D
chrLz

Postby the|exx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:01 pm

You Can Call Me Ray wrote: I lived on Chevron Island with a couple friends of mine named Vaughn & Monica, and dated their roommate Donna (oh man, she was one awesome woman!).

You dated Donna Too?

|exx =P~
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 pm

chrLz wrote:Yes, another former ATSer

Hi CHRLZ. I'm very common with your work and may I say, you bring an impressive skill set to RU.

|exx
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Welcome to RU.

Surfers Paradise is a great name for a town.
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Welcome to RU chrLz...the influx of intelligent folks lately is really encouraging. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 pm

the|exx wrote:
You Can Call Me Ray wrote: I lived on Chevron Island with a couple friends of mine named Vaughn & Monica, and dated their roommate Donna (oh man, she was one awesome woman!).

You dated Donna Too?

Heh heh... oh the stories I could tell. For awhile she had worked as one of the "ring card girls" at boxing matches in Oz... you know the hot ones, with barely anything on, who prance around the ring with a card that announces what round is about to begin? Hubba hubba!

And on Chevron Island...now I am giving away my age... when I was living there for a couple months, it was a fairly quaint little island, and the mega-skyscraper hotels had not yet encroached on it. At the time it was nothing but an island of small homes on quiet streets. I think that was around 1989. But in my last trp back there, I have seen where the big hotels and even the large apartment complexes have begun to invade the prior serenity of CI. It was a bit sad going back in 2006 and seeing this. But I guess you can't stop progress, even if what one person thinks is progress is more like destroying a nice place.

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby chrLz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanx folx, you are all most kind... For those into (amateur!) surfing with unusual backdrops, here's a picture (well, quite a few pics stitched up, actually..) taken from the aforementioned Currumbin, looking back towards Surfers... Hope this works - right click and open in new tab to get to image, then click again to see it a little bigger (the original is an *awful* lot bigger..)

chrLz

Postby murnut » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 am

I can't see the photo....the error says I need to log in
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:29 am

Mur,

As a surfer myself (well, former, it's been many years since I been on a stick), I would highly recommend you make a trip to Australia, and definitely stop by the Gold Coast area around Surfer's Paradise. The waves do not get huge there, but both the consistency and their shape are fantastic. And then there is also the clear, warm, blue water too!

The crowds and high-rises reminds me a lot of Miami, but the local people are just the best. I had such an interesting coincidence on my long trip there: Donna came home from work one day and surprised me with a couple of concert tickets. It turns out that a few days after Christmas, Hunters & Collectors and Crowded House were playing together at the very end of The Spit north of Surfer's. Even Tim Finn showed up and they re-united Split Enz for the show too. Being a huge fan of all three of these bands, I had a great time. But what I did not know is that one of my (now) best friends here in SoCal was at that same show, as he was traveling thru Oz at the same time. We did not know each other at the time, but we met working together here in Long Beach in 1997. In talking about Oz and our trips there, we both figured out we were at the exact same concert, and even figured out we were VERY close to each other under the giant tent where the concert was held. A wild coincidence.

Anyway, Mur, plan yourself a trip down under!! Lots of nice places to surf.
Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby murnut » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:40 am

I've always wanted to get down under, but first on my list is Costa Rica
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby chrLz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:22 am

murnut wrote:I can't see the photo....the error says I need to log in

dang. used to be able to directly link.. I'll set up a more usable repository later, but for now if you're still keen, try:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2200453180048119320EfnvnZ

You can get a larger view by clicking it. (sorry bout all the webshots advertising..!)

And while on the tourism thing.. if you like more natural and less 'touristy' coastline, try Fingal Beach not far south. or the Sunshine Coast up north. I prefer them to Surfers - Fingal especially is quite spectacular..
chrLz

Next

Google

Return to New Members